CMPlay

Official support for: muon-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hah hah... Here i am back at this thread again, years later. Did anything ever get done here? i haven't bought Computer Music in a while, though i see the classic CM Studio plugs have all been removed from the current lineup. Sigh.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Had to review the thread to remind myself what this issue was. There was a workaround published for this issue back in 2011:-
I'm sorry you've had to wait so long. The workaround would be to convert the patches to native CMplay format (by loading, and resaving with the "save samples" option checked). The memory leak only manifests when the patch references out to individual WAV files.
CM pretty much never pay for their plugins to be updated, its on the developer. I'm sorry to say that there was simply never any time to release the fix that was coded.

FWIW I think CMplay was the red-headed stepchild of all the CM plugins, the one that nobody had heard of and nobody ever used. It was quietly dropped just a few issues after release IIRC, didn't even last a year.

Kind regards
Dave

Too bad. I guess it was because of the extra work to produce CMPlay versions of the samples on the DVDs?

I wish CM had stuck with the existing CM Studio plugs and paid the developers to update them. They were a great set of plugs. Instead, it's just whatever they can get a quick cheap deal on and offer for years of quick obsolescence ... ?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Too bad. I guess it was because of the extra work to produce CMPlay versions of the samples on the DVDs?

I wish CM had stuck with the existing CM Studio plugs and paid the developers to update them. They were a great set of plugs. Instead, it's just whatever they can get a quick cheap deal on and offer for years of quick obsolescence ... ?
I don't suppose you can blame CM too much.

This market moves very fast and any software developer in it probably spends around 50% of their time just keeping current. During the timeframe of the CM plugins we moved through huge upheavals almost every year

* OS9 PPC macs -> OSX PPC Macs -> Intel Macs -> 64-bit Intel Macs
* Three major versions of the VST SDK
* Two major RTAS versions and now AAX
* Five versions of OSX (with associated Audio Unit changes in each one)
* Three versions of Windows
* Five versions of Cubase SX (and I started with Cubase pre-SX)
* Six versions of Logic (including the versions before Apple bought them out)
* Four(?) versions of Protools

It is *very* hard to keep up with all that.

CM did publish a lot of cmPlay Instrument; and are republishing some of them as Bonus instruments these days.

However, cmPlay is no longer on the cover-mount DVDs. Is there any way to convert the .tcp (and .tcm) files to another format? For example, .sfz? Or, make the format specification available, so that someone-else can put together a converter?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

The samples are not embedded in the TCP files, they are separate. So you can just load them up in any sampler you wish.

The file formats are thoroughly documented but I can't imagine anyone easily being able to write a convertor without a lot of help from me and unfortunately I have very limited time.

Muon Software Ltd wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:Too bad. I guess it was because of the extra work to produce CMPlay versions of the samples on the DVDs?

I don't suppose you can blame CM too much.

This market moves very fast and any software developer in it probably spends around 50% of their time just keeping current. During the timeframe of the CM plugins we moved through huge upheavals almost every year

* OS9 PPC macs -> OSX PPC Macs -> Intel Macs -> 64-bit Intel Macs
* Three major versions of the VST SDK
* Two major RTAS versions and now AAX
* Five versions of OSX (with associated Audio Unit changes in each one)
* Three versions of Windows
* Five versions of Cubase SX (and I started with Cubase pre-SX)
* Six versions of Logic (including the versions before Apple bought them out)
* Four(?) versions of Protools

It is *very* hard to keep up with all that.
Yeah, i agree, that is a lot. It doesn't look to be slowing down any, either, does it? i keep thinking that the whole computer industry is a real disaster on a fundamental level. When will it mature? Compared to other industries... it's still pretty young. But... will it EVER mature? It's a great example of the belief in perpetual increase/improvement. Maybe if the hard limit on raw CPU power gets fully met, the industry will have to slow down and just focus on what it already has/is at the time. Or am i just having a good ol' fantasy here? It seems the only way to be content is to stop updating everything. But there's no way to do that! Something somewhere will force you. A failed computer needs replacement. A show-stopping bug often demands a software update/upgrade, which often demands an OS upgrade, which then demands other updates to other software... There's no point to level off at because everyone is on a slightly different point in the cycle. The users and the developers are on a hamster wheel that has an internal combustion engine strapped on, in case anyone thought they were going to take a break...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

The users and the developers are on a hamster wheel that has an internal combustion engine strapped on
Yes, very good way of putting it!

DarkStar wrote:...However, cmPlay is no longer on the cover-mount DVDs.
So CMPlay is no longer available to CMMag subscribers?

If that's the case, why is CMMag still providing presets for sample content in the .tcp format? :shrug:
"Sometimes I think of Abraham...
How one star he saw had been lit for me"

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi Folks, I've been struggling with this for a few months now, after switching to Ableton 64-bit, and not wanting to use a 32-bit plugin bridge. sfzed, which can be found at http://audio.clockbeat.com/ (http://audio.clockbeat.com/) makes it super easy to make multi-sample sfz files from what you have from the Computer Music DVDs. Most of their multisamples follow a naming convention, so:

1. Open the app, which starts with a blank sound font.
2. Click the "Add" button
3. Browse to the folder with the multisamples in it
4. Use shift-click to select all the files that start with the same "Instrument" name
5. A couple of dialog boxes pop up, select the defaults and click "Yes" then click "Apply."
6. Select "Save As" from the file menu and pick a name for the .sfz file.

I move a directory up in the tree so that the .sfz files are sitting next to the .tcp files for CMPlay. This makes it easier to select the .sfz file in your sampler, as they will most likely show the .sfz files and the .wav files. I haven't run into an instrument with multiple velocity layers yet, so I don't know how that will work out.

Just ran into a multi-velocity sample, and it was a little bit of a hassle, but not much. You just add the lovel and hivel opcode columns and use the sample names ( Hrd, Med, Sft, e.g.) to figure out how to map your velocity regions out.

Return to “Muon Software”