Looping problems

Official English support for: maizesoft.cn
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sometimes, I load a wav file with loop points in Maize and I hear clicks here and there. When I load the VSTi I've created, on some groups there's no clicking at all (it loops seamlessly) on other groups I hear the same clicks. Anyone knows how I can correct this?

Thanks!

Very weird. When I play my instrument I have the cue point of where the sample is being played suddenly jumping anywhere and not playing normally (by using the loop points). Any idea why?

Here's a video that shows the problem I have:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa0CQI_sVeE

I've had this issue too. It only happens on certain versions of the products I export or open in certain conditions.

The clicking is that the start and end points of your samples are not zero-crossing points. When you loop a sample, the waveforms of the start frame and end frame must line up, or else you get a jump when it goes back to the start, which will give you the click. You can either find zero-crossing points in a program such as Adobe Audition or Audacity manually and find the sample number and put that in Maize or move the bar back and forth in Maize until it stops clicking (takes a lot longer). The real solution to this problem would be a cross-fading as the sample loops, but that's a tricky thing to code.

I'll see if I can get a hold of the developer by e-mail.

Samulis wrote:I've had this issue too. It only happens on certain versions of the products I export or open in certain conditions.

The clicking is that the start and end points of your samples are not zero-crossing points. When you loop a sample, the waveforms of the start frame and end frame must line up, or else you get a jump when it goes back to the start, which will give you the click. You can either find zero-crossing points in a program such as Adobe Audition or Audacity manually and find the sample number and put that in Maize or move the bar back and forth in Maize until it stops clicking (takes a lot longer). The real solution to this problem would be a cross-fading as the sample loops, but that's a tricky thing to code.

I'll see if I can get a hold of the developer by e-mail.
The developer already knows about this issue. I've asked him and received a refund for Maize Sampler. In it's actual state, I can't use it which is a shame since it's a great product based on a very clever concept.

Obviously, I know how to loop samples without clicking. As I said, the samples loops perfectly in Wavosaur, Kontakt and FL Studio. Why would it wouldn't loop in Maize Sampler is beyond me.

In any cases, I've already wasted to much time on this product, hours upon hours of work flushed into the toilet...

SampleScience wrote: The developer already knows about this issue. I've asked him and received a refund for Maize Sampler. In it's actual state, I can't use it which is a shame since it's a great product based on a very clever concept.

Obviously, I know how to loop samples without clicking. As I said, the samples loops perfectly in Wavosaur, Kontakt and FL Studio. Why would it wouldn't loop in Maize Sampler is beyond me.

In any cases, I've already wasted to much time on this product, hours upon hours of work flushed into the toilet...
Alright mate, whatever floats your boat! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've been using Maize for over a year now and even with the bugs its virtues (that the player is freely distributable, the ease of creating a UI and rapid prototyping of products) have never outweighed its flaws (dependency on sample location, manual installation of product for end user, occasional audio glitches) for me. I don't expect a one-man low-profile team to compete with industry leading products sold for four times the price, especially with a smaller and less active user base (then again, nor do I have the same aspirations for my products). Best of luck with your libraries dude, I hope you'll find the tool that is right for you! :)

I just spent the last two hours trying to replicate this bug to send to the developer, but so far I haven't had luck. It almost seems that it is only found when the product is still in rough form, untuned and un-adjusted, but as soon as I tune it up and get everything lined up it starts behaving. Very odd. I will continue to try to replicate the bug reliably and send it over so the note change bug will be resolved for good.

Samulis wrote:
SampleScience wrote: The developer already knows about this issue. I've asked him and received a refund for Maize Sampler. In it's actual state, I can't use it which is a shame since it's a great product based on a very clever concept.

Alright mate, whatever floats your boat! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I've been using Maize for over a year now and even with the bugs its virtues (that the player is freely distributable, the ease of creating a UI and rapid prototyping of products) have never outweighed its flaws (dependency on sample location, manual installation of product for end user, occasional audio glitches) for me. I don't expect a one-man low-profile team to compete with industry leading products sold for four times the price, especially with a smaller and less active user base (then again, nor do I have the same aspirations for my products). Best of luck with your libraries dude, I hope you'll find the tool that is right for you! :)

I just spent the last two hours trying to replicate this bug to send to the developer, but so far I haven't had luck. It almost seems that it is only found when the product is still in rough form, untuned and un-adjusted, but as soon as I tune it up and get everything lined up it starts behaving. Very odd. I will continue to try to replicate the bug reliably and send it over so the note change bug will be resolved for good.
Just so you know. Back in around 2005-2006, I've suggested the concept of Maize Sampler on the KVR forums, told developers they should create a program in which you can create an instrument out of samples and be able to build a simple GUI for it. A couple of months later, Maize Sampler was born.

So I wanted to like it because I created the concept of the program myself! But if a fully functional library I've created for Kontakt don't work in Maize Sampler, using the same samples, then what can I do? I've tried for weeks to make it works and it doesn't. I've contacted the developer multiple times about this issue and he did nothing so I asked for a refund.

For now on it's going to be Kontakt anyways, at least it works...

This is fixed now in Maize Sampler 2.2.8, thanks for finding this out.

caoxiang wrote:This is fixed now in Maize Sampler 2.2.8, thanks for finding this out.
I've tried the latest 2.2.9 version, and indeed, it seems to be fixed. However, on some looped samples I get a very soft click sounds when I play a sustained note. The clicking isn't heard in the sample editor when I create the loop points and it isn't heard in other samplers (Kontakt, Fruity Sampler).

I've tested sustained sounds in BigCat Instruments and there is no clicking in the sound. Is there something I can change in the sample parameters to improve the sound of looped samples?

My guess is that I'm doing something wrong when I adjust the parameters in the sample and or group sections of Maize.

Any hints would be appreciated!

I never tried to loop anything in Maize. My skills in that direction are bad even in Kontakt.

I'm new to this, but am I right in thinking that you have to set your loop points in an external sound editor such as Sony Soundforge (which I have) then the loop information will be saved in the WAV file? I've been manually looping in Maize and it's a bit of a ball ache, but I do achieve acceptable results. The odd clicks I hear will disappear in the mix anyway. If someone could confirm this for me, that would help a lot!:-)
'Only came outside to watch the night fall with the rain...'

placemat wrote:I'm new to this, but am I right in thinking that you have to set your loop points in an external sound editor such as Sony Soundforge (which I have) then the loop information will be saved in the WAV file? I've been manually looping in Maize and it's a bit of a ball ache, but I do achieve acceptable results. The odd clicks I hear will disappear in the mix anyway. If someone could confirm this for me, that would help a lot!:-)
Yes, you can make your loop points in an audio editor and Maize will read them. The only problem is that Maize won't read them with 100% accuracy, so you need to re-adjust your loop points in Maize using your audio editor as a reference (using the "sample" system instead of using the "time format" system). Also, each loop point must be at a zero crossing. Other sampler can handle loop points that are not 100% at a zero crossing place on the wav file (Kontakt for instance), not Maize.

I hope it helps!

From looking at this thread, am I right in thinking that MS will now load Kontakt instruments or am I reading this wrong?

placemat wrote:From looking at this thread, am I right in thinking that MS will now load Kontakt instruments or am I reading this wrong?
Maize Sampler won't load Kontakt instruments, but that would be really neat! (and it would saves me a lot of time!)

SampleScience wrote:Maize Sampler won't load Kontakt instruments, but that would be really neat! (and it would saves me a lot of time!)
Ah, I though it might be too good to be true! Never the less, MS is very good. I hope the clever creator will reintroduce cutoff & reso pots in version 3! :pray:

Return to “Maizesoft”