Sonic Birth Documentation Project (anyone interested?)

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Since Sonic Birth is open source, perhaps we can get together a group of folks who would be interested in actually creating some solid documentation that would include examples, tutorials, etc? I'm pretty frustrated with the manual - it is too bare bones.

So, if anyone here is interested, please respond to this post. I've got a pretty elaborate project I've been working on for a few months now (I was aiming it at the Developer Challenge, but I got too busy with other things to finish it so far - made some good progress this weekend) so I could contribute some to the documentation project, plus I've written technical documentation before.

- JOel

I'm interested.

I've been using Sonic Birth for 2 years now and I have learned quite a bit about it. I understand all of the modules. Because of my background in physics/math, my particular strength would be in explaining how to use many of the math functions to get what you want out of the program. I've built envelope generators from scratch using just calculations on the waveform and then I've used these in some custom compressor circuits that sound great.

I've had great luck using the "points" function as well to get some terrific compression curves. Count me in

This is a great idea.

You can take the current documentation as a starting point, or create something new from scratch. I would suggest using NeoOffice and the OpenDocument format to make sure everyone can contribute without having to buy something.

I'm no good at writing doc because I'm having a hard time seeing things from the user point of view. I prefer concentrating on the code.

- mak

dscro wrote:I'm interested.

I've been using Sonic Birth for 2 years now and I have learned quite a bit about it. I understand all of the modules. Because of my background in physics/math, my particular strength would be in explaining how to use many of the math functions to get what you want out of the program. I've built envelope generators from scratch using just calculations on the waveform and then I've used these in some custom compressor circuits that sound great.

I've had great luck using the "points" function as well to get some terrific compression curves. Count me in

Hi dscro
Your contribution would be really interesting, thanks.

I'm starting with sonicbirth (used SynthEdit on PC) and I find it a very interesting development platform on the Mac side.

Could you post an example how a simple ADSR envelope could be applied to a module (ex. on filter cutoff control) ?

OK

I figured out the ASDR Envelope thing. I have posted a .sbc file at

dscrofani.junker.org

Go there and download ASDR_envelope1.sbc

A couple of notes on the file:

1. It's not an exported plug in AU or VST. It's right now just a Sonic Birth File. And there is no GUI

2. It includes two envelopes, one for frequency (as you requested an example) and one for volume.

3. It uses a sawtooth wave which has harmonics instead of a sine wave so that you can hear the filter working.

4. The filter is a simple low pass filter whose cutoff changes with time.

5. You just draw the envelopes you want in the point windows. The sliders let you set the total time (on the horizontal axis) that the window represents and the total height (on the vertical axis) that the window represents. I made these all reasonable. Don't forget that you can use the arrow keys on the keyboard to change the interpolation type of the points windows from linear to spline etc. if you want curves.

6. There is a pre-fab points envelope window (in the Sonic Birth insert menu) that you could replace either of these windows with if you wanted something that looked a little more like a typical ASDR. But that one is confining and so I found that I prefered to just freeform draw the ASDR I wanted.

7. The whole thing hinges on running a timer that trips when a note is played. This timer is the input for the points apply function. It took me a while to figure this out. I've never used a points apply function for this in the past but I really really like it for this now.

8. The timer starts running when the plug "sees" a waveform being generated 9as read from the absolute value of the waveform - this way the thing never crosses zero which I thought might screw up the counter. If the plug "sees" a waveform value other than 0 it sends the number 1 to the timer which starts it counting. I tried tripping the timer with a midi-note on module but I found that that thing is note specific. I would have had to create each and every midi note and tell it to output a 1 if any was pressed . . . a real pain. So I went with waveform detection to start the counter. If you or someone could figure out how to do it right off the midi-note detection then that would probably be more "proper". I couldn't find a simple way to do it for all notes without a lot of duplication work and a messy circuit.

9. All of the above happens INSIDE midi multi-note module, although I left the controls outside of it and piped them in via extra inputs I added to the module. This is key. At first I took the audio out from the midi multi note and did all of the envelope stuff in the outer circuit. But this didn't respect individual notes. So if I held a C4 and the frequency envelope ran to the end, and then I played a D4 with the C4 still held, the timer didn't reset so I just got the D4 sounding as it would at the end of the envelope. This bummed me out. So I tried doing everything inside of the midi-multi note module as a long shot and I couldn't believe when it worked as it should. SB respected each individual note and applied the envelopes to them individually regardless of what else was going on. Beautiful.

The way I see it, we can make all kinds of synths with SB now. I don't know if anyone else has used this technique and figured out the ASDR envelope in SB but I know there was a lot of buzz about figuring it out in the past. So do share this as it might help others. I'm going to copy this post into another thread dealing with the issue.

Hi Dsco,

Thanks for putting this ADSR example together. Perhaps we should just post to this thread with any documentation, examples, etc and eventually we can go through the thread and build a PDF file out of it?

Makira: Is there a way for us to check docs into source control on Sourceforge.com?

- Joel

Anyone can read the source repository (you will need an svn client).
To get write access, you'll need a sourceforge account, and me activating your account.

I like the idea. I was going to suggest setting up something on Google Docs.

I just added a wiki on the website:

http://sonicbirth.sourceforge.net/wiki/

You will need to create an account to be able to edit pages.

You cannot upload images, but you can use tinypic.com or something like that (just keep a copy to be safe).

Please let me know if there is any problems. I will add a link from the main page as soon as some stuff is there.

Great!

I've started mucking around with this, feel free to help out!

Hi,

is this thing on? *pock pock* :wink:

If been working with SonicBirth now on and off for about a year and I've grown fond of it. Honestly I'm absolutely now math type, so most of the math objects in SB are still not really understood by me but I got some nice results with noise modulation and effing the signal up tools.

So, here is the thing:

Right now, this month, I'm working on a paper regarding Usability aspects of modular music software with focus on SonicBirth in combination with Plogue Bidule.

So, this paper could be my contribution if it's going to be worth publishing. It's going to be around 5000 words but if this works out I could envision working on it some more over the time.

A big part of the paper will be a documentation about working with SB on different FX and Instruments, so that could make a fine start for an example pool for circuit designs in SB and some documentation about actually working with the Plugs.

At last, a couple of questions:

- I am trying to write an overview about the elements of SB, is there anyone out here willing to try to explain the mathematical parts to a non-math person in a few sentences? I get the Algebraic section, but that's about it, so I'm interested in putting the Function and Trigonometric Section to use and I'm sure there are others out there who are interested in an introduction too.

- The time is short for the paper and I want to develop a lot of Plugs to get a set together that allows to make music with SB Plugs only. Is there anybody out there who is willing to help getting me started with a sampler idea, a drum machine and how to build a Step Sequencer?

- Subquestion to the developers: How about including more Plugs in the download? I bet there are a lot of real nice synth and FX out there. An idea could be to collect Plugs from everyone willing to share, make a testing phase where everyone participating gets the lot and we try to sort out the good stuff?

Kind regards,

ian

Any solid documentation on sonic birth would be greatly appreciated _ been trying to figure out how to make a step sequencer for ages..

Return to “SonicBirth”