Sonicbirth plugin GUI + Digital Performer?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all. I have a few problems. I searched this forum and Googled a bit and could not find any solutions, just a few people with the same problem.

I can't seem to get ANY Sonicbirth GUIs to work in Digital Performer... mine OR the bundled plugs. I figured... whatever, I'll just use the 'generic' Apple view... but that does not recognize any of the input fields like 'load audio' or bit resolution.

So my questions are...

is this a bug?

Is there a workaround? Perhaps using Apple interface builder?

If I use the generic view... how can I get the pull down menus/fields to show up?

THANX!!!

EDIT:

I just downloaded the Sonicbirth source code from their repository and opened the nib files and found out that they are Cocoa only, which is not supported in many DAWs still, including Digital Performer... grrr... it's not SonicBirth's fault, MOTU has to catch up here. Maybe I can take the time to port the UI in Sonicbirth over to carbon and compile a copy myself if all the code is up to date... What a PITA.

Anyway, my question stands about the generic views though. I am more than happy to use them if I can get the pulldown menus and fields.

Quick note Regarding porting SB's UI to Carbon (because the signal processing and UI are more or less integrated): That's a huge project, and considering Apple's direction for Carbon UIs... it's probably not a 'lasting' investment. Maybe you already know the differences between Carbon/Cocoa event models and view relationships... it's not exactly a well bridged technology (though there are improvements in Carbon<->Cocoa view hosting in Leopard -- which is a potential a quick-fix possibility for SB in 10.5+ releases for hosts which don't adopt Cocoa). So the ability to host the views in other environments could improve quite easily, but moving/adding the whole UI code +nib files into a fading technology is...

Anyways, that's just my opinion, if you were still considering such a port. Finally, there may have been better bridging technologies introduced in Leopard that I haven't used -- I haven't had the time + interest + need to explore, though such additions would most likely be Leopard specific, and SB is presently compatible all the way back to 10.3.9 so...

It just may not be a great use of time; there's plenty of room for development in SB; bug your DAW developer to support Cocoa if they still don't support it.

Cheers,

J

eigentone wrote:Quick note Regarding porting SB's UI to Carbon (because the signal processing and UI are more or less integrated): That's a huge project, and considering Apple's direction for Carbon UIs... it's probably not a 'lasting' investment. Maybe you already know the differences between Carbon/Cocoa event models and view relationships... it's not exactly a well bridged technology (though there are improvements in Carbon<->Cocoa view hosting in Leopard -- which is a potential a quick-fix possibility for SB in 10.5+ releases for hosts which don't adopt Cocoa). So the ability to host the views in other environments could improve quite easily, but moving/adding the whole UI code +nib files into a fading technology is...

Anyways, that's just my opinion, if you were still considering such a port. Finally, there may have been better bridging technologies introduced in Leopard that I haven't used -- I haven't had the time + interest + need to explore, though such additions would most likely be Leopard specific, and SB is presently compatible all the way back to 10.3.9 so...

It just may not be a great use of time; there's plenty of room for development in SB; bug your DAW developer to support Cocoa if they still don't support it.

Cheers,

J
Yes, I came to that realization. It was too daunting. I compiled a small list of non-cocoa DAWs and other hosts, and the audio world is still 50/50, but 64-bit transition will eventually force compliance it seems. MOTU will migrate to cocoa in DP6 in a few months, but many open-source, freebie and cheaper hosts thta i use when I don't want to boot a huge full-fledged workstation will sadly never be compliant.

I am fine with the workaround... which is no custom GUI for plugs... so I decided to drop the carbon porting and rather get SB's AU and VST UI to work with the Apple stock generic view (be it carbon generic or Cocoa generic) since as it is, a few key arguments don't work.... so that is why i started that other thread. Actually, if I could get the audio file loading to work in generic views, I would be happy enough.

Thank you for the input!!

YW

Return to “SonicBirth”