Use FFT to determine strongest freqs?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

johnmck6 wrote:I see reference to dynamic eq now and again, what's the difference between that and multiband compression?
i think the main difference is the control over the shape of the reduction using the Q. but as i come to think of it, if you take a multiband compressor and make one band really small you have the same kind of control. and i don't know if multiband compressors normally are equipped with a side-chain input, but that is something i would like to try: having one signal with some characteristic frequencies which get masked by another signal, so i would dynamically eq that second signal to make room for the first one (using the first signal as side-chain).
Creator of the InstantSampler @ www.muxer.nl

For a good explanation of dynamic eq vs multiband comp you could check the Sonalksis web site. They make the DQ-1 and CQ-1 multiband plugs, one of which is a dynamic eq and one of which is a multiband comp. They have downloadable pdf manuals for these plugs which might help.

In theory both processes are the same but are implemented differently. Dynamic EQ is to multiband compression as "four" is to "five minus one".

Good description, dscro.

Really, much of the DSP we use is all based on the same idea and the implementation is extraordinarily different, a realization that allows one to get all sorts of interesting behavior from one's plug-ins.

I really have requested of a coder friend to try to make the OP and my's ideas a reality, and I'll come back if he figures it out.

Return to “SonicBirth”