fft modules

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all.

I have been researching the FFT modules in Sonic Birth.
I want to model a sine wave to give it all the overtones that are present in a short audio sample.
Because of memory constraints, I do not wish to use the actual audio file in my output the way a keyboard sampler might, instead, I wish to use the FFT modules to analyze the file, figure out the amplitude of all it's overtones and cause a sine wave to contain all the same overtones at the same amplitudes. (and then be able to change the dominiant frequency)

Q: Is this a reasonable use of FFT in Sonic Birth?

As I understand it, the audio file to FFT module reads an audio file, does a Fourier Transform and kicks out the amplitude of all the overtones. (an array of numbers between 0 and 1, fluctuating, I'm presuming as fast as the processor will allow)

Q: How do I figure out exactly how many numbers are in the array and to which frequencies do they correspond?

I know that I can cause the amplitude of the sine wave to fluctuate by simply multiplying it by the FFT output. In my tiny little brain, it seems that I want to find or design a module that will fluctuate to all the frequencies contained in the audio file (adjusted to any dominant frequency I prescribe at the same rate as the fluctuation of the output of the audio to FFT module (so that somehow, when the FFT module lands on the amplitude of the fifth, for instance, the frequency also lands on the frequency of the fifth. It seems to me that this might be what the sync module is for.

Q: I think I am only partially grasping the capabilities and intended uses of the FFT modules in this program. Can anyone help me out.

Thanks to everyone, and what a great program!

Hi,

Given the FFT utilities presently available in SonicBirth, it's impossible (or obscenely impractical) at an element level. Although, new elements can be created (i.e. in C/C++) to handle this task - and SB is open source.

J

Return to “SonicBirth”