Include Framework into the Plugin???

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there!

I'm working on some plugins and everything is fiine.
BUT I wonder if it is possible to somehow include the SonicBirth framework into the built plugin.

Well I have to admit that the main Idea is to use the plugins as download from my website.
So I'm looking for a way that users don't have to installSonicBirth to use the plugins.

Any Idea?

Thx in advance...
Are angels poultry???

Hi metal_head_82,

I highly discourage you from doing this. While it is not impossible, there could be very serious consequences wrt code loading and execution. It wouldn't be a problem if the user never installs another version of the framework - SB app and all plugins rely extensively on the framework. Realistically, you're playing roulette at their (users) expense - because you have no control whether the user of your plugin will have other versions or SB binaries on their system. The ABI/loader won't handle this lightly. If you do get it to work, the most substantial problems will appear in the future, as more binaries become available. It could also modify behavior of other (SB) plugins they have installed.

J

Ok... Thanks for that :wink:
I was afraid I would get that answer.

But would it be possible to just install the framework?
In other words: Just include the framework into the installer package?

If there's a new binary available I could release an update with the new framework included.

Don't get me wrong. It's just because many users don't want to install an additional software just to use a plugin. That's the only reason I want to include the framework.

metal_head_82 wrote:Ok... Thanks for that :wink:
I was afraid I would get that answer.

But would it be possible to just install the framework?
In other words: Just include the framework into the installer package?

If there's a new binary available I could release an update with the new framework included.

Don't get me wrong. It's just because many users don't want to install an additional software just to use a plugin. That's the only reason I want to include the framework.

First, be sure you have read, understand and agree to the software license before redistributing anything.

Back to the technicalities. or 'hypothetically speaking'....

You would not have the loading/linking complications if there were only 1 version of the framework on the user's system. There are multiple locations where frameworks may be installed, so your installer would have to check them. If one is found, your installer would either have to replace it, or not install the framework. If you do find one, your installer should inform the user that your installer is changing a library which other plugins/apps rely on, and give the user the option to proceed or cancel installation. Obviously, you don't need replace the same version of the framework - unless you are recompiling SB, in which case, you're in for even deeper problems. Remember, it may work for your plugin, but the user may have other SB plugins that 'break' because of your distribution.... 'Ethically' you should inform the user of what you are installing and the implications/possibilities for failure and the dependencies. Such an installer should also inform the user that their other SB plugins may require an appropriate framework version match, which they may require updates for.

I don't recommend it, but it isn't impossible.

J

Thanks for those answers.

I think I'll upload them as they are exported.
But I will ask the developers if there is a solution.
I will post their reply as sonn as I get it.

metal_head_82 wrote:Thanks for those answers.

I think I'll upload them as they are exported.
But I will ask the developers if there is a solution.
I will post their reply as sonn as I get it.
Hi metal_head_82,

You're welcome.

If 'the developers' you are referring to are the developers of SonicBirth, then you have already read the response from one of them.

J

Ooops... :oops: Sorry for that.

I didn't realize YOU are the outstanding person who developed such a great piece of software :wink:

Okay, so as I mentioned I will stop my efforts in that direction and try to build some cool plugins instead.
If they are done I will of course post the here.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

And now I understand what you ment in your first reply... Took a while but now I get it.

metal_head_82 wrote:Ooops... :oops: Sorry for that.

I didn't realize YOU are the outstanding person who developed such a great piece of software :wink:

Okay, so as I mentioned I will stop my efforts in that direction and try to build some cool plugins instead.
If they are done I will of course post the here.

Thanks again.

EDIT:

And now I understand what you ment in your first reply... Took a while but now I get it.
Well, SB has 2 part time developers (makira and myself), and most of today's SonicBirth was written by makira. So, he's the outstanding one.

Enjoy plug-building.

J

Return to “SonicBirth”