Download a Guitar Tube Amp Simulation Plug

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zmix wrote:
ew wrote:
zmix wrote: I wonder if the values should be optimized for a 32 bit floating point environment... the plate voltage is set to 350v but this is far in excess of the maximum plate voltage for an actual 12ax7. It does have affect the absolute clipping level of the model and it's important to avoid this region as the model behaves very un-tube-like there.
Not true in actuality, but unfortunately true in most 12AX7 circuits these days. A 12AX7 can take plate voltages up to about 450 volts in a properly designed circuit. Most circuits these days are designed with lower plate voltage ranges- they'll clip earlier and won't be as dynamic as they could be.

ew
EW,

Can you please provide references for your claim that a 12ax7 can take 450v at the plate? Even if the current is controlled, it is quite possible that the tube element's coatings will become depleted under such conditions.
My 1975 RCA Receiving Tube Manual says maximum voltage is 330V. It's not uncommon to step a 400-450V power amp supply down to get there. In most classic amps 12AX7s run somewhere between 250-300V.

tomg wrote:
zmix wrote:
ew wrote:
zmix wrote: I wonder if the values should be optimized for a 32 bit floating point environment... the plate voltage is set to 350v but this is far in excess of the maximum plate voltage for an actual 12ax7. It does have affect the absolute clipping level of the model and it's important to avoid this region as the model behaves very un-tube-like there.
Not true in actuality, but unfortunately true in most 12AX7 circuits these days. A 12AX7 can take plate voltages up to about 450 volts in a properly designed circuit. Most circuits these days are designed with lower plate voltage ranges- they'll clip earlier and won't be as dynamic as they could be.

ew
EW,

Can you please provide references for your claim that a 12ax7 can take 450v at the plate? Even if the current is controlled, it is quite possible that the tube element's coatings will become depleted under such conditions.
My 1975 RCA Receiving Tube Manual says maximum voltage is 330V. It's not uncommon to step a 400-450V power amp supply down to get there. In most classic amps 12AX7s run somewhere between 250-300V.
Thanks for reiterating my original comment.

The max plate voltage is specified as 330v

A power amp may have a B+ of 450v, but one shouldn't assume that the plate of the 12ax7 is seeing 450.

Most preamps run the 12ax7 between 250 and 275Vdc AT THE PLATE.

Again, I'd like to see an example of a circuit that runs a 12ax7 at more than 330Vdc at the plate.

Just want to say this is great :D
I try to learn from yoo guys.

to the question beginning this thread:

i have got very interesting "live" like simulation results using one of these two filters, applied to general master:

-iZotope Ozone 4: there is a "Mastering Reverb" inside; that reverb spreads somewhat the stuff, but it also kills some instruments or makes sound others a bit dull and it is a bitch to use and configure

-Waves TrueVerb: this one sounded a lot better and more natural, actually you can start off with the very first default preset and yet it gives some live like ambiance feel to it, but more small-sized club like

and of course the type of music you are applying those effects on does matter a lot. it has to be a natural drum kit, well speaker/amp simulated guitars and bass , and of course played / recorded live. the most difficult is to make sound the drums, actually you can still do a great job using EZ Drummer

Return to “SonicBirth”