Possible to make an AU Editor for external Hardware?

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

you know the Virus TI Plugin, is it possible with SonicBirth to make something like this for other Hardware Synthesizer?
I still have some synthesizer around and it would be great to Edito them with an AU Editor?
It just have to send Midi CC and nothing more, no Audio in like the Virus TI Editor, there is no need for that.

Is anyone here who has made something in that way?

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

What does that plugin do? Can you describe in just a few words?

Easy to answer... Well, i will made sliders for the filters, ADSR Envelops knobs etc. all the normal stuff the most VSTI synthesizer need, if it's possible.

As i sayed the most Hardware Synthesizer can do a lot of things via Midi CC and that's what i want to do, i have some 19" Rack Synthesizer at my place and i won't miss them but i often forgot the Filter Midi CC for the Micro Q for example and the Filter CC for the Access Virus Rack. So i think making this through a little Plugin woul be a great way, or?

Frank
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

So basically you need sliders in Sonic Birth to output their values on specific midi channels and send control messages?? To use your plug as a giant, central controller for some hardware synths? Hmmm. I don't know much about the midi functionality of Sonic Birth in that way. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Yes, that's exactly what i want to do.. Hope it's working, nice that you want to check that out, let me know please if it's working..

Frank

Sorry but it's not going to work. Sonic Birth plugs only output audio. While they will take both audio and midi at inputs there is currently no provision for SB to send midi commands.

What it sounds like you want is something like Apple's Logic Environment. With it you could integrate your external gear right into your DAW, if, of course, Logic was your DAW.

Logic is my DAW ofcourse but i thought it would be better if i can make a plugin out of it just make the VSTI available for other people, too...

Maybe this is a good idea for an upcoming update...

Did you know an other way or tools to make my idea running? There are still some more modular tools around on the web for the mac...

Frank

Yeah, it's a great idea. I really don't know what's out there in this area, though, since I haven't really needed to find anything in the past. With core midi functionality built into the OSX operating system, technically it shouldn't be hard for someone to code a generic stand-alone app from scratch to send midi cc to external gear instead of having to use the synth manufacturer's bundled software for edits. But how to do this in a plug in is another story since I don't know if the AU/VST standard allows that kind of functionality.

I am sure VST allows you to send Midi CC because Synthedit on the PC can do this, there are still the first Plugins out who made this...

Frank

Some discussin and links to AU MIDI control of external devices...

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-prod ... 6-a-5.html

Thanx for the link, a lot of posts to read, grrr... :(
But it looks like that they want to use a Controller to edit that Lexicon Hall, it's not really the same, i think, okay, i will ofcourse edit my HW Synth, too from my DAW out but i want to do this with an AU/VST Plugin because i want to share the Plugin with other people, that's the only reason for me to do this Sonicbirth or other similar tools...

Frank

again me about that topic... i can't believa that Sonicbirth can't send out midi.. I saw on the modules side that there is a slider available to send out midi parameter, someone told me that the AU Format is not able to send out midi, but it must be work because someone write a plugin for the Alesis Micron (http://mysite.verizon.net/retroware/) and that Editor is doing the same what i want so it must be possible... ;)

Midi slider: Outputs the value of the a midi parameter in a user supplied range.
Outputs : value.

Frank

Right about that midi slider. The slider itself outputs the midi value. Then that value could be used within the SB circuit for something. It's getting the circuit itself to output the value as midi CC that is the issue. That's what is lacking.

Ok, thanx for the info.

Frank

while this is certainly possible, it is a good amount of work, and it is not planned at the moment (from me anyway).

(for prospective developers: basically one would need to create a new midi source using core midi - shared across all sonicbirth plugins or not, that's debatable, then create an element that can trigger that midi source.)

Return to “SonicBirth”