Pitch Shifting in Hertz

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I want to make an insert plugin that can pitch shift a sound on its input by a certain amount of hertz and combine it with the original input to create binaural beats. Is there a way to shift an input sound by a certain number of hertz in SonicBirth?

THANKS!! ^_^

so far pitch shifting seems to be the most interesting challenge i've encountered with sonicbirth.

it follows that if you want to shift the pitch, you have to first detect it. so you need to first start thinking of ways to figure out the frequency of the incoming sound. i did some research about this and it is somewhat complicated and there are various ways of doing it. it would be slightly easier i think if the fft elements in sonicbirth were more flexible or had more features.

i have seen one approach to getting around the problem of pitch detection so far in other peoples' sonicbirth plugins that i've downloaded:

one uses a saw wave to provide a moving delay to the input signal. this "works" but it creates a very bad chopping effect in the signal that makes it unusable for conventional means. i am going to investigate ways of tweaking this circuit to eliminate this side effect.

i also came up with one last night that uses the bufferizer element to constantly record and play the incoming signal and using the speed input on the bufferizer to control the pitch that the buffer plays back at. again this "works" but there is a different chopping effect that happens in between the times when the buffer plays, of course. you can get around this by having two buffers that trigger opposite one another to fill in the gaps, which works at unity pitch but as you shift up there are still gaps that are produced because the length of the segments played by the buffer are now shorter than the amount of time they were recorded for (since they are being sped up). i am looking into ways of getting around this. if there is a way, this is probably the simplest pitch shifting circuit i can imagine as it doesn't need any kind of pitch detection to do what it does.

sasqwatch wrote:Hi there,

I want to make an insert plugin that can pitch shift a sound on its input by a certain amount of hertz and combine it with the original input to create binaural beats. Is there a way to shift an input sound by a certain number of hertz in SonicBirth?

THANKS!! ^_^

Pitch shifting source material will not generate controllable beat frequencies because there is no way to control the specific frequency difference.

The best way to create binaural beats is to use two sine wave oscillators, one sent to each output, and detuned by the amount that generates the desired beat frequencies.

If you are interested in creating a pitch shifter in SB, please search this forum for my detailed description of how to do it. :)

goldenhelix wrote:so far pitch shifting seems to be the most interesting challenge i've encountered with sonicbirth.

it follows that if you want to shift the pitch, you have to first detect it. so you need to first start thinking of ways to figure out the frequency of the incoming sound. i did some research about this and it is somewhat complicated and there are various ways of doing it. it would be slightly easier i think if the fft elements in sonicbirth were more flexible or had more features.

i have seen one approach to getting around the problem of pitch detection so far in other peoples' sonicbirth plugins that i've downloaded:

one uses a saw wave to provide a moving delay to the input signal. this "works" but it creates a very bad chopping effect in the signal that makes it unusable for conventional means. i am going to investigate ways of tweaking this circuit to eliminate this side effect.

i also came up with one last night that uses the bufferizer element to constantly record and play the incoming signal and using the speed input on the bufferizer to control the pitch that the buffer plays back at. again this "works" but there is a different chopping effect that happens in between the times when the buffer plays, of course. you can get around this by having two buffers that trigger opposite one another to fill in the gaps, which works at unity pitch but as you shift up there are still gaps that are produced because the length of the segments played by the buffer are now shorter than the amount of time they were recorded for (since they are being sped up). i am looking into ways of getting around this. if there is a way, this is probably the simplest pitch shifting circuit i can imagine as it doesn't need any kind of pitch detection to do what it does.
That's an interesting method, similar to how I've done it using modulated delay lines (same as AMS, MXR and LEX pitch shifters), but a bit more complicated with the need to toggle record and play modes on the bufferizer, and the gaps created by that process.. I'm going to experiment with this.!!

http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=1583

I'm not sure about the regular z function on delays but the patch I made uses a window function with a saw wave to modulate the delay, a triangle modulation of volume in order to avoid the glitch from switching from one delay to another, it will be easier to look at the patch from the link above inside and see how the windowing makes it work in a more natural way.

parangaricutirimicuaro wrote:http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=1583

I'm not sure about the regular z function on delays but the patch I made uses a window function with a saw wave to modulate the delay, a triangle modulation of volume in order to avoid the glitch from switching from one delay to another, it will be easier to look at the patch from the link above inside and see how the windowing makes it work in a more natural way.
i like what you've done there. so far this is the best pitch shifting plugin i have heard with sonicbirth. unfortunately, the problem with delay line modulation as a method for pitch shifting is that it definitely messes up any sounds that have any kind of "timing" involved (i.e. percussion loops, speech).

Return to “SonicBirth”