Multi Effects - Phaser

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I am trying to build some simple multi-effects. Anyone any ideas on how to create a very simple phaser effect? I have made a flanger and was thinking they would be similar . I am thinking I will need some allpass filters and then modulate through the variable delay input? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! :help:

yeah i am guessing you'd use your basic flange circuit and duplicate it, and putting a different filter at the input of each stage and then mixing that signal. i am going to try this myself. i made a very simple multi-stage flanger that sounded alright, but i abandoned it to work on other projects. i'd be interested to see what you've come up with and how it compares to my circuit.

Hi! I made a simple phaser circuit.
http://www.kvraudio.com/banks.php?s=dl&id=1484
Metz6 wrote:I am thinking I will need some allpass filters and then modulate through the variable delay input?
It's just what you said and I only gave some parameters after repeated trial and error.
Other parameters may be suitable for you.

after reading this i gave it a shot myself. one thing i encountered was that it is not very well explained (in my opinion) what the parameters of the allpass element are. the delay input is obvious. the 'a' and 'b' are not quite so obvious to me. the concept of the allpass filter is somewhat new to me though. it seems that they basically accept useful inputs between -1 and 1. if anyone could explain to me in somewhat layman terms what exactly these inputs do, i'd appreciate it.

If you want to create a standard "Phase Shifter" in SB, you'll find that the "allpass" filters supplied do not have the range to create the effect you seek. Those "allpass" are better suited to creating reverbs and diffuse delays.

Use the "bandstop" filter and be sure to tie the "F1" and "F2" inputs together, feed those inputs with an oscillator tuned to the desired center frequency and use an LFO to modulate the center frequency. Here's a simple phase shifter I've created. Try this for yourself:

Return to “SonicBirth”