SonicBirth v2 alpha

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As of OS X 10.9 Developer Preview 3 (13A510d), SonicBirth 1.3.1 beta 2 is still compatible with OS X: you can upgrade to OS 10.8 without hesitation.

At this point in development, you can not open SB 1 patches with SB 2: you have to rewrite your plug-ins with SB 2.

Just thought I would mention that SB2 generates flawless 64bit AU's for use in Logic Pro X.

And contrary to what Makira thinks of the interface, I totally love it. It just gets out of the way for serious sound design!

The only thing that is missing for me is some sort of buffer or table plugin… Would this be possible currently? Or does this need to be hard coded within SB2?

Unfortunately SB2 is actually the only serious AudioUnit Plugin Creation patching environment currently. Don't know why - but I can use it very easily, and create lots of great sound effects etc… Obviously the only other contender for this title is Max/MSP GEN. But with that you have to export your C++ code then play with it... and I am not sure if its even 64bit compliant!

Do let us know how we can help, maybe consider placing a 'donate' button on www.sonicbirth.com??

I am in the processes of bemoaning the loss of 32bit AU's, which has left a large sonic hole, especially in regard to beat slicing (I'm a BIG user of supatrigga, which looks dead currently). Don't get started - I know there are millions of these plugin's out there, but non that sound 'good' to me… :-(

Makira, you mention that generating patches would help, (by using graphic coding within SB2), is there any way of scripting more advanced plugins? Are you thinking of opening that up to more advanced users? In order to create more advanced realtime buffer readers / writers / effects etc?

Currently that looks like the only area that the software is lacking in. Otherwise I am pretty sure that it can build any sort of plugin imaginable right now!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much for all of your work, please keep it up! Know that we are 1000% behind you!

Cheers,
Al.

THIS IS LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY ...... when when when is this going to have an interface and be ready ?????

DAZZ2013 wrote:THIS IS LIKE WATCHING PAINT DRY ...... when when when is this going to have an interface and be ready ?????
Wow.

Thanks alcomposer for the support. I am seriously considering adding a way for 3rd parties to extend the capabilities.

DAZZ2013: at this point SB is still just an alpha... I just moved so I didn't have much time to code anything. Both kids are starting kindergarden next month, so coding will pick up. Until then, I've hired a graphic designer to create interface elements, we already have many sketches, and I'd like to show something soon. Anyway, the beta stage is still months away.

Do you know the release date of Half Life 3 by any chance ? ;)

New build on sonicbirth.com

You can now specify the vendor name, email, url (though only vst uses the email and url, and then again, I'm not sure how to display those in a host).

Also, I made a major change in the core, which might have broken a few things (from a quick test, everything seems ok, but let me know). This change paves the way for third party c++ modules addition. If you know c++, take a look at SonicBirth.app/Contents/Resources/sbengine/Modules/delay.h and feel free to try to create a new one and put it in ~/Documents/SonicBirth/Modules, then restart the app. Assuming no syntax errors, you'll see your c++ module in the user section of the list (otherwise the app will assert and quit).

Hey Makira,

I don't know if you want this forum to turn into a bug log, but for the July 30, 2013 build, currently "delay" no longer works.

I am running on 10.8.4, I tested a built AU, (in Logic Pro X) and that didn't work either. I can get other plugins to work, (in both host and SonicBirth App)- but delay is broken in both host and app.

To clarify the issue, I am able to (once I duplicate Delay.h into users folder) add a volume parameter to the C++, now this works fine, (in as much as the volume is altered correctly, however the audio plays through the delay unit without being delayed. Something is either going astray within the delay code, or possibly deeper within the software.

Other than that I LOVE the ability to write small C++ snippets and hook them together! There should 100% be an online community built around this! As the code is very small, this allows the most advanced ideas to be played with, without the complexity of building the rest of the plugin! Very nice!

I can't wait to see where this goes! And so fast as well!

Cheers,
Alex

Send me a private message with the file you put in your users folder and a small circuit showing the issue.

Just a quick note, the new delay element has a default buffer length of 0 seconds (something I will fix for the next update, it used to be 1 second), so unless you edit its properties to give it a sensible buffer length, it will act as a pass-through. Probably the issue that alcomposer found.

Hey Antoine,

Thanks for clarifying that! Sorry, I didn't notice that setting had changed!

Everything is fine, Delay (and plugins in user directory) work as expected…

Can't wait to find some time to play with this!!!

Now quite frankly- apart from a VST/AU GUI SonicBirth is nearly production ready!!!

(personally I like not having to muck around with a GUI, but thats personal taste).

Have you checked out the project AudioUnitJS: https://github.com/russellmcc/audiounitjs

Allows Javascript and HTML to be used to create GUI's for Audiounits iOS etc… may be interesting inspiration?

Cheers,
Alex

Quite frankly, I'm not convinced using javascript + html for plugin interfaces is a good idea.

In any case, I've uploaded a new build on sonicbirth.com. Fixed the default buffer length of the delay module and added a higher quality delay module. "delay" does whole sample delay, while "delay hq" can do sub-sample delay.

Great work Makira!!!

I'm sure you know more about this than most! Can't wait to test out your new ideas when they are ready!

Cheers
Alex

What do you think ?

Yes !

Hé hé
I feel that soon it will become interesting to rewrite the old patches! 8)

Return to “SonicBirth”