SonicBirth v2 alpha

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Here is the first alpha of SonicBirth 2:
( removed - get last alpha build on http://sonicbirth.com )

What it can do:
- export 32/64 bits standalone VST/AU plugins for Mac
- export 32 bits standalone VST plugins for Windows
- feedback loops are now sample based (which means recursive filters can now be implemented directly in sonicbirth, see lowpass)
- you can save small circuits in ~/Documents/SonicBirth/Circuits/, and they'll appear in the module list like other modules, upon relaunch (please share those!)

What it can't do:
- no document management: it will happily discard any unsaved modifications if you create or open a new document
- no undo/redo
- no midi support
- no custom gui
- in fact, a lot of modules and features are missing

Many modules that are present in SB1 but missing in SB2 can be implemented in terms of the Core modules (every non-core module, ie lowpass, is implemented in terms of Core modules).

A few notes:
- The delay element: its property length is in seconds, but the dl input is in samples.
- The comparators elements: inputs are left operand, right operand, true value, false value.

This is a very early prototype, will abort in case of errors, may not work at all for you, any documents you save might not be openable by the next alpha, etc... Use only for testing.

SonicBirth v2 compiles the circuit to a C file, which is then compiled by various tool for use by the app itself or to create the plugins. If you are a programmer, you can check the C output using the Debug menu. This means it will be easy to target new platforms as needed (iOS?).

Comments are welcome!
Cheers!
Last edited by makira on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not signed for GateKeeper (I forgot...), so turn off GateKeeper to launch it once, you can turn it back on afterward.

It's my birthday today (really)... Thanks for the gift!

great! I'll test my simple plugs and will let you know how/if they work.

Do you have a preferred procedure for feedback, bug report, and such?

p

great news!! does it means that runs on win32/64 to?
thanks

For feedback, just post here.

As for win32/64, no the app doesn't run on Windows, but it can export win32 vst plugins.

makira wrote:For feedback, just post here.
Here's one: Nuendo 5.5.5 (64 bit) with OS 10.8.2 crash.

Was resolved by the October 18 alpha release.
Last edited by Kewl on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Can you share the sb2au file ? Or a minimum file showing the issue ?

makira wrote:For feedback, just post here.

As for win32/64, no the app doesn't run on Windows, but it can export win32 vst plugins.
are you planning to do a win32/64 version?
the 1 sample feedback is a goldy feature wich in a straight-forward form is missing in every windows based modular plugin authoring system ( yes we have gen~ in max6 and core cells in reaktor but both apps can't export in vst format)

would be a great thing!
:shock: :love:

lalo wrote:are you planning to do a win32/64 version?
No, I don't have plans for Windows at the moment. It's unlikely I'll develop the app on Windows, unless I can pay someone to do it and be sure of a positive return on the investment.

That being said, most of the app engine is platform neutral, so it's not impossible.

Let's make it work on Mac first!

makira wrote: That being said, most of the app engine is platform neutral, so it's not impossible.
:tu:
so i can keep some hope... ;)
Last edited by lalo on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makira wrote:Can you share the sb2au file ?
Was resolved by the October 18 alpha release.
Last edited by Kewl on Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't have Nuendo so couldn't reproduce the crash, but it did produce garbage output in Renoise, and this version fixes it:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/r8mkomodeqv1lm ... 2.zip?dl=1

I only tested 1->1 or 2->2 plugins, and that's the likely issue. Let me know if it works now.

Cheers!

makira, FYI you now have admin access for SonicBirth at KVR (http://www.kvraudio.com/z) but your profile email address is dead so you won't have received any notification, hence my post here.

Thanks. Also updated my email.

Return to “SonicBirth”