SonicBirth v2 alpha

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

makira wrote:Although, it seems they discontinued Pluggo (why?).
Conventional wisdom on the demise of Pluggo is that it was because of the partnership with Ableton, ie Max for Live.

the reality of the Pluggo desmise was that the AU format change (again for 10.4) was just one step too much in supporting everything. it is a small company with limited resources, and re-writing again everything was not possible...

M4L was not even in dream state at that moment, and I know from insiders. Don't see evil where there are none ;-)

p

This is great news, very happy that SB is being developed still/again :-)
I will be testing the alpha soon.

Keep up the good work!

* I made a few of my own circuits and noticed that if i change something inside this circuit i can't save it as a new circuit. Also when i save the project this changes inside the circuit will not be saved.
* I can't seems to make any kind of feedback loop, not only when using delay but in every mathematical function, for example i want the result to be added to the input.
* And final thing - what is the z-1?

Thanks

leannagia wrote:* I made a few of my own circuits and noticed that if i change something inside this circuit i can't save it as a new circuit. Also when i save the project this changes inside the circuit will not be saved.
* I can't seems to make any kind of feedback loop, not only when using delay but in every mathematical function, for example i want the result to be added to the input.
* And final thing - what is the z-1?

Thanks
1) pre-built circuits are set in stone. Any changes in them will affect all documents using them (since they only keep a reference - the name). To save a pre-built circuit again, you need to select it, and do 'save circuit', overwrite the file in ~/Documents/SonicBirth/Circuits/ and then relaunch SonicBirth. Yes, this is a pretty crappy workflow, but this is a very early alpha...
2 & 3) You need to use the z-1 element to make a feedback loop. It creates a one sample delay, and allows you to connect an input to its output.

Regarding the z-1 notation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_delay_line

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_filter

If you check the lowpass pre-built circuit, it'll give you an idea.
Last edited by makira on Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heard the sample rate scraper effect listening to Deadmau5, so I took a few minutes to implement it.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/zpse1w4ege05pg ... u.zip?dl=1

Makira,

Thank you for your continued efforts. SB2 looks like it's going to be a significant improvement. I love that the inside of elements such as "smoother" are visible. When all of the functions are implemented this is going to be a very very powerful platform.

Do you plan to allow importation of SB1 algos? I've spent thousands of hours creating some incredible stuff in SB1.

-CZ

zmix wrote:Do you plan to allow importation of SB1 algos? I've spent thousands of hours creating some incredible stuff in SB1.
Not right now, and even if I implement that, it'll only be partial, because od design differences.

Another alpha:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/u8lr59l0f7fn6h ... 2.zip?dl=1

Changes:
- Added an equation element
- constant element can now accept formulas (ie: pi/2 or sin(2*e+1) )
(both will be appear s red if the formula doesn't parse)
- Prebuilt modules are now properly marked as locked (it wasn't the case due to a mistake)

Cheers!
- m

Equation or constant with -1 are red.

Kewl wrote:Equation or constant with -1 are red.
Oups, forgot the unary minus operator... use (0-1) in the meantime, or revert to previous alpha.

Is a "feedback" element forthcoming or is thee a new way to implement feedback?

The au plugins have a problem that every time I reopen the project, the values are saved but it plays the default values of the plugin. To make it work again I need to slightly move each fader.
With the vst version it happens every time I deactivate and reactivate the plugin.
I checked it with ableton live, cubase and garageband and got the same results.
but I haven't checked it out with the new alpha yet.

zmix wrote:Is a "feedback" element forthcoming or is thee a new way to implement feedback?
It's called 'z-1' now.

leannagia wrote:The au plugins have a problem that every time I reopen the project, the values are saved but it plays the default values of the plugin. To make it work again I need to slightly move each fader.
With the vst version it happens every time I deactivate and reactivate the plugin.
I checked it with ableton live, cubase and garageband and got the same results.
but I haven't checked it out with the new alpha yet.
I'll have to look into that.

Return to “SonicBirth”