A project for the future of SonicBirth

Official support for: sonicbirth.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I just posted in the Modular Synthesis section a topic about the possibility of having a strong, cross-platform pro audio development IDE based also on the growing Sonicbirth open source project.

More details in the original topic here :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366645

It could be a great opportunity for Modular Synthesis and for the diffusion of Sonicbirth too.

Thank you for your attention,
bruno
bruno @ Xhun Audio || www.xhun-audio.com || Twitter || Instagram

Nice idea!

xhunaudio wrote:Hello,

I just posted in the Modular Synthesis section a topic about the possibility of having a strong, cross-platform pro audio development IDE based also on the growing Sonicbirth open source project.

More details in the original topic here :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=366645

It could be a great opportunity for Modular Synthesis and for the diffusion of Sonicbirth too.

Thank you for your attention,
bruno
A few issues:
- SonicBirth v1, while open source, has several fundamental limitations
- SonicBirth v2 is not open-source, and probably won't be free either
- SynthEdit would need to make its project file format open
- Even if we implement SynthEdit's SDK interface, the third party module providers will have to recompile for Mac
- This is not a trivial undertaking, and currently I'm only working on SonicBirth on a very very part-time basis

makira wrote:

A few issues:
- SonicBirth v1, while open source, has several fundamental limitations
- SonicBirth v2 is not open-source, and probably won't be free either
- SynthEdit would need to make its project file format open
- Even if we implement SynthEdit's SDK interface, the third party module providers will have to recompile for Mac
- This is not a trivial undertaking, and currently I'm only working on SonicBirth on a very very part-time basis
Hi makira,

- yes I was considering v2

- ok, thank you for the info, I didn't know it - but is it possible to make a non-open-source project (ver2) from an open-soure one (ver1)? Strange...

- it would be in Jeff's plans to make it (or XML export)

- sure

- this is the reason for this sort of 'annoucement'. Maybe also other devs are interested in this project, to share the work load.

I'm very interested in SonicBirth too (also as an independent project), looking forward to new developments!

xhunaudio wrote:- ok, thank you for the info, I didn't know it - but is it possible to make a non-open-source project (ver2) from an open-soure one (ver1)? Strange...
I wrote all of SonicBirth v1 before it became open-source. So I still own all the copyrights for that code. I can use it under whatever license... In any case, v2 is almost a complete rewrite. I'm not using any code from people who contributed after it became open-source.

There's also the issue that v2 is sample based, while v1 and SynthEdit are buffer based. This mismatch would bring a potentially significant speed penalty.

makira wrote:
xhunaudio wrote:- ok, thank you for the info, I didn't know it - but is it possible to make a non-open-source project (ver2) from an open-soure one (ver1)? Strange...
I wrote all of SonicBirth v1 before it became open-source. So I still own all the copyrights for that code. I can use it under whatever license... In any case, v2 is almost a complete rewrite. I'm not using any code from people who contributed after it became open-source.

There's also the issue that v2 is sample based, while v1 and SynthEdit are buffer based. This mismatch would bring a potentially significant speed penalty.
Ah ok, you are the original developer, you hold all the rights - congrat for SonicBirth.

Yes, I hold sample based stuff in Synthedit trough the SDK (coding in C++). Make delay lines (etc...) in a modular environment is a great addon, definitely looking for this. When would SonicBirth ver 2.0 be commercially available approximatively, any idea?

xhunaudio wrote:
makira wrote:
xhunaudio wrote:When would SonicBirth ver 2.0 be commercially available approximatively, any idea?
Perhaps a year ± many months. In short, nothing short-term.

Thank you for the info makira. If it will be a stable, complete (and possibly crss-platform) environment, it will worth a 2-years-wait for sure :)

Good luck !

The sample based nature of SonicBirth makes me want it on Windows to :-)
is a great thing to do 1-sample feedback routings in a modular enviroment that.

Return to “SonicBirth”