circuit users

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

circuit is probably my most-used recent creation, and as such the one that i've had the most thought about improving.

i suspect i will be updating it in the next few months, preferably as a free 1.5 update since it's new, so i'll be working on it inbetween other projects and giving it time (it's too soon, needs more dev, for a 2.0).

there will be:
a more compact gui (32 pixel tall slidiers instead of 40 pixels) because of -
8 channels so a kit can be repatterned (i like to keep all controls on 1 page)
more modulators, linear sequencing
improved variation counter
and another layer of modulation (even if it's just 4 toggles for the 8 channels so 1 sequence can have 2 forms it alternates between).

also:
the 'random' function often has irregular output instead of 'regularly random' (intended function). it's output is reliable with steps at full or zero. this is due to wake-sleep conditions of external resources that weren't applicable during the design process (it worked properly until some final circuits were in place, then the external wake-sleep rules disabled it). so i'm rewriting that from the ground up.

so if you have any requests, here's the thread.

probably the biggest request i get is visual readout of the lfo rate.. i won't be adding this :) since it uses cpu and, isn't an issue once you're over the learning curve (i like to use lots of plugs in realtime, so cpu is a big priority, and i generally avoid animated graphic readout).
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Sounds really promising :)
Here are my suggestions - Drawable bars instead of sliders. This way, instead of dragging the cursor up or down you just point, click and the bar is set to the height you want.

Another thing i'd like to see is a "reset all" button, incase the bars idea isnt applicable. Circuit has alot of sliders and Reseting them all by hand can be very tedious.

My last suggestion is that you make the note selector the same as in Hyperion, where you select the note and octave seperately. Its alot faster then having to dial through all of the octaves and notes just to get to say...C5.

Oh and one last thing (i promise :D) - what's linear sequencing means?

>> Drawable bars instead of sliders.

these require third party modules, and, while agreeable, using 3rd party gui elements translates to error reports. one of the gui makers has updated their version, so sometime i'll upload something for people to test using it and see if it's more stable.

>> a "reset all" button, incase the bars idea isnt applicable.

this won't happen :) one thing you'll notice about my synthedit vst is that i rarely use fancy graphic elements ('subcontrols') as i find them to use more cpu and be unresponsive (eg. i have to click on a subcontrol knob four times before it responds). you could try reloading the fxp?

>> what's linear sequencing means?

the linear sequence is at the bottom of the circuit gui ;) (it progresses in a linear fashion, eg. 1-2-3...)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Thanks for your well explained reply Rurik, even though none of my suggestions are possible :D
xoxos wrote:you could try reloading the fxp?
I thought about that myself. Guess i'm simply too lazy and a one click procedure seems easier :hihi:

yauluhim wrote: My last suggestion is that you make the note selector the same as in Hyperion, where you select the note and octave seperately. Its alot faster then having to dial through all of the octaves and notes just to get to say...C5.
I also prefer the Hyperion note selector.

Would that be possible xoxos ?

sounds like a winner. i usually [ctrl]-click when adjusting circuit.

xoxos wrote:>> what's linear sequencing means?

the linear sequence is at the bottom of the circuit gui ;) (it progresses in a linear fashion, eg. 1-2-3...)
Oh you mean the serial sequencer?

yes.. sorry :) serial, linear..

I got another suggestion for ya - Randomization between notes. What do i mean? i'll explain :P : I guess its sort of a round-robin thing. Say you have HH1 on C3, HH2 on D3 and HH3 on E3. You would pick C3 as your main note and have the option of it randomizing between D3 and E3, or any other notes you'd want, according to a set probability. This'll mean that you now have lots more samples to work with.

Think about it k? :D

Tzvika.

i have :) and my official response :hihi: is that this sort of feature clutters a workspace..

..in that imo it's more effective to implement it as another vst and plop it on the signal chain (i'm big on having a single page layout)

reasonable? :)

Reasonable enough i guess... :roll: but! :D It doesnt have to clutter it if the notes-to-randomize option will be smaller in size, under the main note selection. If you're implementing the note selection method that is similar to the one in hyperion, you're saving yourself space by not using a dial.

You could just add a text entry window next to the window to type in midi note.

I also love the idea of sliders and yet am quite aware of the potential problems. Perhaps an "unsupported drawbar" version issued for people to play with/betatest should they so desire?

This is not a negligible amount of work, I am well aware. :(

Once I am more deeply familiar with circuit I'm sure I'll have helpful suggestions. I do love it as-is, though.

Return to “xoxos”