Talent vst wired in parallel with rayzoon Jamstix 2

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello all,

Just a composer's note to say how pleased I am, and how pleasing, is the effect of wiring Talent vst in PARALLEL (i.e. not series) with Rayzoon Jamstix 2.

What happens (new to me, perhaps plainly obvious to longtime users) is that the drummer brain puts out a reasonably solid, reasonably varying foundation. Over this comes Talent (or Hyperion), remapping and modifying Jamstix notes in time and pitch (=instrument on a drum-mapped device). The mix is strangely satisying to a human listener, and you can jam over it all without the audience ear becoming tired of repetitive or mechanical phrases.

Trying to get one vst device to do all of this leads to much frustration and disappointment - in my case at least.

If people are interested I can put up screen shots, midi files, and recorded audio results .....

Best wishes + thank you rurik for inspiration

neville S.
Mac Pro Xeon 3GHz Quad x2 16GB 4TB OS X 10.5.6 Live8 Logic8 Plogue Max/MSP xoxos

cheers.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Do you have an audio example please?
stay juicy!

Sorry to take a while to reply.

Here are a couple of (very rough but easy) clips of Talent (and Series) wired in parallel with Jamstix 2. MIDI fed to three channels of EXS instruments in Logic 8.

You'll find them at

http://idisk.mac.com/noach-Public/

Jamstix with Talent.mp3
Jamstix Talent Series.mp3

Best

Noach Stern
Last edited by noach on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Pro Xeon 3GHz Quad x2 16GB 4TB OS X 10.5.6 Live8 Logic8 Plogue Max/MSP xoxos

noach wrote:Sorry to take a while to reply.

Here are a couple of (very rough but easy) clips of Talent (and Series) wired in parallel with Jamstix 2. MIDI fed to three channels of EXS instruments in Logic 8.

You'll find them at

http://idisk.mac.com/noach-Public/

Jamstix with Talent.mp3
Jamstix Talent Series.mp3

Best

Noach Stern
How did you set it up? Is this also possible in Cubase?

For quick rewiring I use Plogue Bidule and/or Live. Logic is just the midi player.

In Cubase, from what I know, you assign each VST to a separate instrument track, then take the MIDI output of (say) Jamstix and assign it to the MIDI input of Talent.

In other words, the drum-brain provides the MIDI source and Talent manipulates it, and both MIDI streams are played by other instruments whose job is merely to sound the MIDI.

I guess this is not strictly what is meant by "wired in parallel" since Talent takes its input from JanStix. What I meant is that the outputs are "wired in parallel" - the two resulting MIDI streams are played simultaneously by other instrument(s). The result is musically pleasing because the ear has a (fairly) solid repeating pattern to hold on to, while xoxos provides interesting variation in counterpoint.

Return to “xoxos”