troubleshooting serial (synthedit SEM module)

Official support for: xoxos
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi there,

yesterday i found your modulepackage, and the serial sequencer, nice.

now the problem:

i tried to use it as a drumsequencer, with togglebuttons zu switch (lo:8 hi: 0) / activate the step. but everytime i connect 4 steps in a row, the sound for these 4 steps, stops. (also it stops complete if i use 16 steps)

1 x 3 4 is ok, 1 2 x 4 is ok , but 1 2 3 4 doenst work... y? (x is there where is no note)

the enviroment is like your tutorial on youtube.

help!

thank you for a solution :)

greetz

raeumler

i'm a little confused as i have a commercial VST called series and a quickie in the quickie thread named serial

if you mean the latter, god knows, i built it in 1, maybe 2 minutes.

if you mean the commercial VST, perhaps your issue is due to your setting: lo: 8 hi: 0

high should be higher than low, you're describing a range of numbers to count between, eg. 1 to 8 (there is no 0 so i am not sure that you're talking about this VST)

if that doesn't help, please send me the patch or upload it somewhere. thanks :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

oh wait - you mean the SEP module, not the VST -

that's different. i can't tell without seeing your .se1, i'm wondering if the problem is that you're using the sequencer output as a gate?

the sequencer steps are on or off.. when you switch steps, if they're routed to the same destination, you'll get a continuous 10v level.. no gate..

use the output of the sequencer module to lvl adjust a 1 sample pulse..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

yeah i ment the sem module for synthedit.

so i took the value 0 and 8, as on/off .. because with the value 0, the sound is on, and with 8 its off...therefore hi:0 lo:8 because the toggle button works turned. (i just looked, its all over 5)

but i'm new to audiosynth-enviroments, maybe its not so easy like i thought.

here is the se1 file:

http://www.zshare.net/download/1940065336e4337a/

maybe i'm completly wrong..

to fix your file -

the gate pin should be connected to the gate pin, not the >list pin. however, the 'pulse to gate' module isn't doing anything practical where it is. it's intended to turn sorted pulses into sustained gate signals.

take a level adjust module and place it after the 'serial' module. connect the 2nd pin of the lvl adj. to the clock pulse. the output from this lvl adj is a single sample pulse on selected gate events, and you won't hear it unless you add a logic>monostable module to extend the duration of the pulse.

(nb: the 'pulse to gate' module is intended to perform this task and has conventient features as such)

it's easy, there are a lot of different behaviours to become familiar with.

thanks alot,

but its not working. so its possible to get a signal from every second step, but if a step between is closed (three in a row) there is no soundoutput.

i connected it like you said, (i hope)
serial --> 1+/adj
clock1 out --> 2+adj
adj out --> bd --> output,

but then there is completly no sound.

is it generalyl possible to use serial as a on/off sequencer?

/edit:

if 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 is connectet, 2 4 6 8 is for slide function, is this correct?

http://www.breathcube.com/temp/sequencer.se1

fixed for you, with a few amendments.

i don't have time (especially this week or today) to do tutorials, so please ask the seug list first if you get stuck (i check it a few times a day)

raeumler wrote: /edit:

if 1 3 5 7 9 11 13 15 is connectet, 2 4 6 8 is for slide function, is this correct?
not at all, i think you're probably trying to do more than you know how to do atm :) try one aspect at a time. as said, gotta go.

thank you for the se1, i'll try it out later.

with 8 steps there is no problem, for tonal its slide, and for no tonal its like shuffle..

good evening!

it works perfectly,

but i have a nother question... maybe you can answer it.

is it possible to store the values on/off in a module, so you can switch between different instruments without having 1000 of steps. (like the 808)

greetz

raeumler

raeumler wrote: is it possible to store the values on/off in a module, so you can switch between different instruments without having 1000 of steps. (like the 808)
you mean a VST with a step sequencer where you can save the step sequencer patterns separately from the patch, to copy patterns between patches..

it's complex to do. for instance, you could use one of david haupt's modules to write the data as a .txt file and reload it from that. you'd need to institute your format and build the sequencer controls to receive values from the data.

i haven't built such a system because i don't like making vst that are dependent on resources to work, and i dislike using subcontrols. plus it would take a long time.. i don't think i've built anything that really depended on this yet.. if i did i'd probably look into building a custom module for it (which might happen fairly soon, can't say when)

mh i thought just a read out and hold. but i didn't find any module which can do this. first i tried with the fixed values, but this iss'nt writeable.

it havent to be a vst, just a module which readout the current value and hold it, if a switch is done...

so you can make: (i hope its encryptable -g-)

[steps] --> sequencerrouter -> switch -->| [r/h]bd[sequencer] |->| [r/h]sd[sequencer]|->| [r/h]hh[sequencer] |->| [r/h]tom[sequencer]

[r/h] = read / hold

i will check out haupts modules... maybe it works.

you'd need to use somethnig that would create a file - every internal value is stored with the patch.

hmm i lie - you could build a custom sem that would hold the values, then use special > feedback to route the values back to the switches..

hmm another method - you could also set all the step seq controls to "ignore program change," which would mean there would be no change in pattern when you switch patches.. (it wouldn't help in copying or loading patterns..)

too busy to go back and find what i said, but a 16-step sequencer module with a 'save sequence' function wouldn't be a bad idea.. i'll pop it on my 'to do' list, i used to use .dat files with a c++-like language years ago so i don't think it will be too difficult.

nag me about it in a week or two if you want :)

ok cool,

to save different patterns for the same instrument issnt really a must (one pattern per instrument would be enough, but also it would be cool, to switch between different patches with the numpad, like in fruity).

like a shortcut pattern switch. (for exam.: hold a+numpad to switch the bd pattern, b+numpad to switch the snarepattern).

meanwhile i will try it in trial and error.. -g-

btw, can you convert the serial ensemble, for synthmaker? i didn't find any stepsequencer for that tool (only sequenser, but its crap), and in synthedit it works perfectly.. but synthedit can't export standalone tools (to make standalone drummachines or something like that)

Return to “xoxos”