tell me what you want (physmod)

Official support for: xoxos
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey

now that i am able to tune allpass filters, i'm finally ready to implement the physical models i've wanted to see in vst form since forever.

i found the z1 to be expressive and timbrally satisfatory. using them informed my sense of analytical listening, and i've wanted to see such freely available. i have to charge for some work, i'm not sure how that's going to fall.

what you will see:

plucked string - there's a lot of k-s around, tonally this would improve on some implementations.. i'm inclined to do a more complex emulation here (with 2 axis waveguide) that will be heavier on cpu. no?

a piano simple model with flexible coefficients - not for gorgeous piano emulation unless you're as easy to please as me. this will embody the flexible, pro-abstract nature of this series of instruments. if i don't make this free i am a mean person.

possibly plucked string/percussed bar/soundboard variants, i dunno, whatever's convenient and appropriate. a 'bar' update would be okay i suppose.

reeds and brass - again, no 'exact alto sax,' more elementary forms.. they'll probably sound physical but not like exact instruments. better than reed5c :)

bowed string, maybe maybe not. it's a bit of work, and computationally intensive for expressive playing. i might not want to spend time making something only i will use (this would improve on boing's tonal deficit, dual waveguide for note transits, except cpu would be a little higher)

some kind of abstract low count fdn, a tetrahedron would be about right.

so what kinda physical stuff do you want?

haha a synth joke, the 'physmo,' or maybe finally a concise term for this unwieldy appellation.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

This is the first time I've ever heard of physical modeling referred to as "physmo". One of those why didn't I think of that things! :hihi:

I'd like to see that piano model. :)

i would like to see more "unnatural" or surreal phys mod devices, as blown strings or plucked horns ( if that is possible )

normal phys mod we have already.

there was a WSA synth once upon a time, where you could combine different
attractors to differents resonant models ( i.e. pluck a steel plate or a metal tube etc )

this in software would be great

:)
...---...

Celesta, Glockenspiel, Vibraphone, Marimba, Hammered dulcimer, Xylophone, Carillon, Harp 8)

What I want may be impossible, but I dream big. I want to tweak all parameters in real time.

Not that I always would always do such a mad thing, but the ability to stretch a string in real time, modulate the bowing position, and change the friction between the bow and the string would make me quiver.

Quiver I sez.

with the way i do things, you're looking at a solid 2-3% of a 1.6g cpu for 1 voice for the dsp barrel alone on a bowed string, if i downsample modulation to say 5kHz. stiffness and pitch are coupled because the allpasses used for stiffness create a phase offset.

on top of this, doing another bowed string model i would be tone oriented and implement two waveguides for note transitions, which doubles the cpu. plus modulators you could have 8% per voice. i would say it's on the back of my list, although it would be a nice amendment. ftr, apart from stiffness, boing does that already :) it lacks onboard modulators.

the current boing model traps high transients, which would be eliminated by the allpasses. by carefully avoiding the shortcomings of the model, i've been quite satisfied with it's tone, so i'm sure the update would be more playable (i've also impoved responsivities of decay and filters to sample rate, so that high notes sustain as long as low notes).

aah - i'm about to experiment with a second axis waveguide on my plucked string, so double that 8% to say 15% per voice for a fancy bowed timbre :D

say 5-15% depending on modulation. is that too complex?
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

I'd like to see and hear gongs made with physical modeling. Big gongs. Not the standard emulations that are found in synths, but instead a fully developed gong with complex sound evolution and the variation in the sound that comes from striking it at different places and with different mallets.

And a bell--not the wind-chimey multi-bell tinkles found on many synths, but instead just one full, big bell. (If the footprint was small enough, the user could load more than one instance to get the effect of several bells.)

Something along the lines of Yamaha VL-70m, with a reed, brass and conical bore emulations. Doesn't have to be entirely exact, but something that creates a musical and human expression is my cup of tea any day.

Sounds like the Physmod would be a very cool addition to your already amazing line of synths!

Ben
Little Black Dog - 2008-Present

Happy to know there's still room for your creations. Could the animal series fit in this new model ? A singing pig would be fine.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

- crystal glass
- didgeridoo
- fart machine (it's a joke!)

xoxos wrote:with the way i do things, you're looking at a solid 2-3% of a 1.6g cpu for 1 voice for the dsp barrel alone on a bowed string, if i downsample modulation to say 5kHz. stiffness and pitch are coupled because the allpasses used for stiffness create a phase offset.

on top of this, doing another bowed string model i would be tone oriented and implement two waveguides for note transitions, which doubles the cpu. plus modulators you could have 8% per voice. i would say it's on the back of my list, although it would be a nice amendment. ftr, apart from stiffness, boing does that already :) it lacks onboard modulators.

the current boing model traps high transients, which would be eliminated by the allpasses. by carefully avoiding the shortcomings of the model, i've been quite satisfied with it's tone, so i'm sure the update would be more playable (i've also impoved responsivities of decay and filters to sample rate, so that high notes sustain as long as low notes).

aah - i'm about to experiment with a second axis waveguide on my plucked string, so double that 8% to say 15% per voice for a fancy bowed timbre :D

say 5-15% depending on modulation. is that too complex?
15% is nothing. If a synth sounds and plays good enough, you could dedicate an entire computer to it and still pay less than a whole lot of instruments out there. In addition, a reasonable use for an highly expressive instrument is overdubbing/soloing over a backing tracks, or the other way around (killer bassline laid down first).

People bend over backwards and into knots for good tone in the analog world, and dedicate whole computers to parts of sample libraries and so on, so f**k the CPU if the sound is worth it.

IMHO.

Aroused by JarJar wrote:f**k the CPU if the sound is worth it.
+1

Yes,I'd still like a modeled sitar. Just something about those rasping, resonating strings.

i will do something on the sitar theme :) i heard too much sampled sitar in the 90s to let it continue.

xoxos, plucked string is cool!

Being a player of real stringy thingys, I tend to experiment a bit at sessions and kinda like the variety of sounds a real plucked string can do.

Sometimes I play my bouzouki or mandolin by 'drumming' my penny whistle on the strings instead of strumming ... if you could recreate that, you would be my hero! .... much of the character is to do with the bounce and fast repeat of the whistle hitting the strings, combined with the dampening of the string tone being progressively replaced with the 'gzizz' ... followed by the sustain of the strings when the whistle is 'ungzizzed'

Another dynamic of a plucked string is that tuned frictiom ... which differs from playing with a finger, a bow, a piece of paper etc.... even the contour of the tip of the plectrum makes a difference.

Perhaps the harmonics of the string have to be taken into account ... however plucked, the string settles and its tone is dictated by its length, thickness, material its made of, the instrument body, the environment etc ... but its real character is dictated by the mayhem of its initiation.

Best of luck ... hope this helps :)

Return to “xoxos”