[blog] keeping busy

Official support for: xoxos
RELATED
PRODUCTS

While I am not doing any DSP programming, I do enjoy physics and physical modeling and I found your article both informative and entertaining. Thank you for the effort and for sharing your knowledge.

i figure the "story" of having an incomplete education and the value of taking each step may occasionally be as worth relating as the algorithm. one multiply and two adds makes it the most efficient sinusoid oscillator i'm aware of.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

hey xoxos vst afficionados -

how do you like the gui aesthetic for naive? specifically, the knobs..

it's looking more like for the time being i'm going to be working on percussion synths. i won't release them all at once like the effects, probably add them to a single license, which may fluctuate in price as it accrues.

i'm pretty happy with the design - i've had some people ask for larger fonts, which i may try to wrangle, buut eg. ugo is still using 5x5 characters.. he's pleasing people, i'm pleasing people, and i feel like the 5x5 suits my idea of how large a gui should be :p

for reference:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

In regards to the Naive GUI:

I find that the knobs are pretty and the little lcd screens are also nice. The sliders are acceptable, but if they had a little more differentiation between the slider and the background, that would be better for my eyes. I am OK with the font size and style but it is at my limit of readability. What would a 6x6 size font do to the gui size?

it looks great but maybe a little more contrast wont hurt :)

wakax wrote:it looks great but maybe a little more contrast wont hurt :)
i'm with you there. i did try to squeeze more contrast here, but after the b/g shade and handle design were determined, i didn't like the effect. so there will be a slider redesign.

and at least a retinting.. brown is okay, but not all the time.

and a word of warning.. i've been trying to get purple/heliotrope LEDs in there.. i like it and think it will work with ym compositional mood.. i keep ditching it because it's not for everyone. since i'll be doing several similar guis at once, it's probably going to end up on one.

xoxos wrote:... i've been trying to get purple/heliotrope LEDs in there...
Purple or heliotrope LEDs are always a good idea !

i've spent too many years in the homophobic usa. anything pink or purple makes me feel like i'm going to get in a fight.

i'm working on a 2d mesh (rectangular) vst at the moment. it uses astonishing amounts of cpu.

making the unit delays allpass filters makes it a much more flexible instrument, they allow the pitch to be lowered, better emulation of material. a 6x6 uses ~6% without allpasses, and ~25% of my cpu with them :/ (i have a 1.6g processor). so as an instrument it won't be good for most users beyond making samples. increase one dimension (you can do 4x24 et c.) and you're easily using all the cpu for one percussion sound.

that said, the impulse will be modeled with a mass-spring, so it should sound fairly "real". it can be configured as a cylinder. mostly it sounds like grandfather clock chimes. today i'll try putting the filters only along the edges, which should help cpu, maybe not emulation.. :)

Return to “xoxos”