announcing aurora vst

Official support for: xoxos
RELATED
PRODUCTS

why not :p there's a lot of things i could be doing..

i haven't done any threads on the recent products.. radian/radiant, star cym, swish2 (in instruments forum).

aurora is part 3 of the current synth license, currently consisting of w and naive lead. the object of this bundle is to parameterise different oscillator algorithms "the way i do them," which isn't very exciting for anyone else, but it's fun to code :)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

:wink: Could you be maybe 10% less vague about 'Aurora' ? :D

uuh.. no. no, i couldn't :hihi:

i've just released three nifty synths in 8 days, so i'm going to not release synths for a change, instead i'll casually suggest them, reference them metaphorically, or vacuously promise such things.

i can guarantee you it will be sucky and boring tho :hyper:
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Well, the Naive Lead one was actually sort of interesting sounding, despite all your usual down-playing of it. And I believe that was a 'concept' synth as well, so it stands to reason that one of these days one of your 'concepts' might very well become something big and desirable and ultimately quite well accepted, or even better yet - it might just sound like what people wanted to hear (and didn't even know it yet until you made it) when they press the keys eh. :) Plus I'm always curious about the physical modelled stuff, and the often times odd directions you choose to move and shake in development-wise ha-ha. :hihi:

each synth in the suite uses a 'conquered' oscillator algorithm.. this one has bandlimited interpolated tables, the most banal antialiasing method of them all..

points of interest atm :hihi: i'm going to 'see how i go' with various methods of softsync that were discussed in a recent thread :p atm i don't have any particular plans for anything else of interest, a filter i'd like to use.. i don't really see "the way i do things" being much of a selling point. i do like to obviate wysiwyg synthesis.

big, desirable and accepted you've really got the wrong idea. people desire mystery, and to be lulled into obeisance, that they are being given access to something greater than themselves: "do you have any more expensive machines that make a more expensive 'ping'?" the more expensive a plugin, the more attention it receives. i endeavour to be empowering, which is the antithesis of commercial success :)

(i think i'd said i'd do fauna/oscine tract updates somewhere back there, no one's been bugging me about them and i'm not overwhelmingly inspired since the procedure is only improving the model with known techniques..)

sweet ! :D

I'll be looking forward to this :hyper:

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/aurora2.mp3

this isn't a teaser so much as a "funny noise i heard today.."

oscillator in development:

load project, signal starts (no amp envelope) pitch is at "zero" (13.75Hz), unison oscillators (unconfigured at this stage) drift in phase, creating the "pac-man" sound.

live file - i hit a note, pitches the signal in the 2nd MIDI octave. then 2nd osc is synced to a summed unison oscillator and phase modulated, producing the didgeridoo effect. at a few points i change the depth of the phase modulation, osc2 pitch, number of unison voices.

that is wild & trippy :shock: :D

patching will start in a day or so :) i'm again shooting for "conventional" with a capital CONVENTIONAL for this one. i'm loving the gui.

i'm wondering, to avoid IP issues, does anyone have any preference for filter names.. "moo" or "mog" ?? (mog is welsh for cat) or maybe it should be "mood filter" :hihi:

or "noob" :p

anyone anticipating this, it's in patching. in some ways it's like a scaled down, updated version of horizon (it's not horizon though). firmly established in the "synth pack license" which is again a "review of oscillator algorithms," it's got that well.

there will probably be a bandlimited impulse train addition to this pack in the next few months as well.

anyway - expect a surprise, (for one thing i've got six filter modes out of the stilson/smith digital moog ladder) and expect a synth where, as often requested, sound quality is now prioritied over cpu efficiecy.

well I for one will check out your VSTs

You never can have too many VSTs :wink:
------------
also known as Ambient Lifeforms and Orbital Resonance
http://www.ambientlifeforms.dk/

Very interested in this as it seems to be the only VSTi to impliment 'ping-pong' soft sync! This and Naive Lead have an appealing sound as well, though I can't quite put my finger on it.

I'd love to see a synth with *every* known variant of soft and hard sync implimented and parameterized, but that's just a purely selfish nerdy desire :)
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

why not? i had intended to put in every soft sync method i could find a reference to.

another definition of soft sync is a 'harmonics ratio lock' which is accomplished by the 'harm' option for the octave selector, so effectively there are two 'soft sync' methods on board.

the other definitions i found were threshold based, eg. "reset if osc2's phase is within (or beyond) n% at zero crossing" and these sounded like garbled hysteresis as far as i could reason. but i like the ping-pong/reversing soft a lot and will use that with any compatible oscillator from now on.

(that feature was built using my proprietary CCT (chocolate chip technology) which basically involves sitting down with a big bag of chocolate chips until the thing gets built. there's a little trick to it which for me required bombarding it with attempts.)

i'll bump the thread in the instruments forum on it now.

Return to “xoxos”