ADZE is a layering monster

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

after some days & weeks of BONGing around I thought I would give ADZE another try. I always thought that the concept behind this unit is a very special one. But I had some hard times in understanding the whole envelope/curve/rate thingy. I was so used to traditional synth concepts that I had a really hard time in getting my head around it. And I failed.

But today I gave it another try. This time completely different than before. In silent mode (because I am sitting on the couch with my girlfriend), a few selfmade samples (sinewave, positive saw wave and white noise) and few analysis tools mainly mystrans dust analyzer.

First: now I understand the whole envelope thingy. It's completely different than anything I have used before but it's really great. Pitchmodulation looks awesome on sinewave. BP filters looks great on noise. LP filter look nice on everyting. I like the MS one. I am relly intrigued by all those HP filters ( btw are those 4 freq cut off markers measuring the freq at 10/100/1k/10k?)

Anyway, I always thaught that ADZE would be a nice drum sample playback machine. You know, kickdrum slot 1, clap slot 2 etc. But while playing around with all my basic synth sounds I thought it would be cool to load eg white noise in slot 1 and the sine into slot 2. Well, I tried it and triggered both at once...dude, ADZE is a LAYERING MONSTER.

Now I could see benefits in owning ADZE because of those extra slots for simultaniously triggering. Setting that up with a 2 or 3 instances of STOONER looks like a little bit of extra work.

While analyzing some other stuff like the harmonics mode in the filter section (and how to control them via enveolpe...f**king awesome) I was thinking how people could use tis with a sinewave as a sub generator. Eg load "weak" kicksample in slot 1, load sinewave in slot 2 and enhance or add harmonics via filter env...endless possibilities. And nearly surgical control over every part of the envelopes via those cool envelope settings...Killer plug in. I think layering is the key in using this device for me.

Kudos!

Sebastian
Underground Music Production: Sound Design, Machine Funk, High Tech Soul

Another useful tool: ADZE as a six-step-sample-sounddesign thingy.

Here is how I created some nice Kick:

Step 1) Load simple Sinewave sample into slot 1, set octave & pitch enveolpe to taste, load punch 1 into filter and adjust to taste -> render

Step 2) load rendered sound into slot 2, turn amp 1 down, transpose midi note by one, enhance, lp24 MS with nice env -> render

Step 3) load 2nd rendered sound into slot 3, turn amp 2 down, ...rinse repeat

Nice thing: I don't have to disrupt my workflow. It's pretty straight forward and if I don't like eg the sound in slot 4 I can go back to three and adjust to taste.

Still figuring out what exactly this pre amp thingy does to the sound and or filter (nonlin) behaviour. But I am looking forward to solve that too. :)

And so nice to hear all those interpolation stuff, SR & BR, I like how sometimes the Q of the latter Filter modes behaves. The curve & shape options can sound uber punchy btw.

So much fun.

Regards
Sevastian

Nice post man.

I admit, I haven't got into using Adze much. It's a very unique device.

Rah wrote:Nice post man.

I admit, I haven't got into using Adze much. It's a very unique device.
Thx Rah,

I was so intrigued by this device that I wrote a 10* review on KVR today (actually started yesterday). I spend some time on explaining how the envelopes work so if you are interested in some more information about ADZE feel free and read my review. Perhaps that makes it a little bit easier in starting to work with it.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/adze-by-xoxos/reviews

Regards
Sebastian

Return to “xoxos”