moonlight in july

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i wrote the album when i was living in a tent in NSW 2009-2010. i did a bit of development during this time but the environ (plugging in at the rugby field beachers and an old pumphouse shed) was more conducive to music.

i guess i pretty much challenge you to not "get" this album, being a response to the insulting "culture" i had been subjected to to date. if you can listen to this and not find somewhat tangible the shite i've been through, or some touch of my clarity, then kudos to you.

i recently realised that the title "moonlight in july" is misleading to persons of the northern hemisphere. this occured to me walking through a field at night, full moon, crisp and still coldness. no warm summer night. everything stark and sincere, a song about the love of truth. from a solipsist's perspective, truth can't be shared, though i have dedicated my life to petitioning for this realisation.

the nursery rhymes are meaningful. i played "itsy bitsy spider" in an abusive relationship. well, i still do that here and at most venues modern life offers, as do many of us. before migrating to oz, some clever person in ajo said i was "ledge 'n' dairy," and then i found myself living in a dairy state with few choices, listening to those poor cows locked up and calling back and forth to their loved ones across the miles between the fields and the stock pens. i've long held that whenever a singer says "woaaaah" that it should always be taken to mean woe. when i got to truth, it was ultimately all i needed.

the first song i wrote in this period was "three notes," which was structurally like one of the contemporary top 40 trends, bass/guitar/drums played with machine precision. maybe the voice makes it too exotic for the comparison. one of my favourites to date.

the first two songs were written a dozen years earlier. because of the conceptual scope, they were difficult to record, i needed them off of my plate, so they got done.

mostly payola is simple, conceptually tidy songs. "forget" was from a dream with some kind of robot alien advanced spirit who was meeting in dreams with earth's composers. it was someone else's song (at least the chorus) as i observed the meeting, and served me well as a vehicle for what i want to say about detachment.

"the art of noise" was fun to write, though i don't think most music enthusiasts are ready to grasp how the scope of contemporary music is generally intended to be life noise, or to process the innocence/inner-sense and nose/knows kinda puns. it's too easy to discard ideas that don't immediately avail themselves and move on to more gratifying content today.

"honey" and the 2nd version of reminiscin' are more appreciable being familiar with the originals. unicorn valley is also a redux from a song about emails. i consider it my vst phd, using simple physical models to their best effect. i hope that the scope of emulation within the piece is found to be truly impressive as a monument to achievement for those who persevere, though i understand most ppl will load up some soundfont or preset and be sufficiently gratified.

not an album i can write every six months or so.
http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/payola
Last edited by xoxos on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

payola

this is all about payment

i spent years with my ensoniq mirage sitting on a milk crate from shamrock dairies. i thought 'shamrock' was worth being commemorated here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7FH3zxsvsI
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

when "three notes" hit me it was like a sickness, a gripping dirge that possessed me and held me and wouldn't let go, dangling me like a puppet until it was recorded. walking down streets utterly dedicated or condemned to a future where this song needed to be in the world, each moment and object in life defined by its relation to the realisation of this song. i wouldn't have recorded any music if it wasn't for that.

something from the heart, something as big as big can be. what i need to convey to the people of the world.

if you feel it like a sick tide, dragging you to cast on it's shores of infinite factuality, you are hearing the song.

Return to “xoxos”