Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

xoxos november 2015

xoxos
Mr Entertainment

12056 posts since 29 Apr, 2002, from i might peeramid

Postby xoxos; Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:03 pm xoxos november 2015

for those who may have missed notification elsewhere -

i think late september? i released caprice vst, which i like a lot and believe is a widely useful audio tool - it includes 16 algorithms but has three general applications: mono to stereo imaging, "beefing up" the frequency content as a ~"creative enhancer" which i thought everyone would appreciate, and some trippy sort of frequency shifting algorithmic feedback. i struggled to get to the second page of the product thread, and it's mostly my posts so is seems kvraudio doesn't care for it too much. well you don't know what you're missing :)

the big thing is i spent mostly october producing an impromptu album. i've been working on an album of "synthesized jazz" for a few years which isn't likely to ever be released due to the intense amount of labour that the form takes (there are bits of songs in youtube videos et al).

at some point various ideas occured to me, which took me to the next idea, and suddenly i was making an album.

well, we're all musicians of a sort. i've made several albums of varying qualities, methods, and here i am: it is one album among myriad produced each year by our species. what's more, the genre is "gangsta rap" with i imagine is a profound deterrent for most audiences. there's no evident reason for anyone to really be concerned with this music.

if you take the time to listen to it, and have some erudition in synthesis (and perhaps read comments in the music cafe or view the video about recording the voices) you'll realise that there is something ........quite different.. on top of all the thump thump.

i've done my best to advocate for culture, put myself on the line and spent years making vst to contribute, and, ...perspectives change with experience.. 13+ years of vst development now (a quarter century of multitracking!). i can't beg society to acknowledge or accept my contribution, it's just life, i could piss mine away trying to validate my contribution for others.

which is alright, i wouldn't want people to care unduly about me, i just wish people stopped caring about asinine fake evil bullshit.

so, all that said, here is the shit, if you listen, i hope it helps you as a person. i don't think anything i've done or created compares with the magnitude of this gift in any way.. but every asshole trying to make a buck says that. it's like my existence barfed out a due statement, "hey folks, about everything -".

i set out to make a catalogue of "dope beats" to facilitate any other ideas that came along, but it flowered all on its own. i had a title.. somewhere i could hear someone saying "i write dope beats for suckers" and i guess, as musicians, we all kind of understand that sentiment at times.

"the demon lives in all of us at one time or another"
"nothing can keep me from candy!" :lol:

here you are, dope beats for suckers

this is.. extremely rich ear candy.. you'll need silence, a stereo field, time, and likely some weed

if i can give you better, i don't know about it.

https://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/dope-beats-for-suckers

thanks everyone
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
tagore "where roads are made i lose my way"
where there is certainty, consideration is absent.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:33 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

here's the referenced music cafe bit which is more or less the subject of the youtube video:

some are fauna (nb these tracks were scrubbed, only sifft was used on the published tracks)

most are produced by loading a dense content wav into sifft (has to be loaded in song file for each use.. saves patches tho..)

the wav file serves as a "1d vector" of spectral frames which is scanned by modulators.. random is okay but there's a lot of too slow/too fast, so i gravitated towards

using a saw lfo to scan backwards through the wav at a very slow rate. some of the voices are from a chinese actor speaking mandarin (backwards)

the sequences are created using 16th notes, average 60% length

the lfo scanning through the wav is rate modulated by a very fast/short envelope, which produces two effects: making the scan lfo go fast moves to a new "phoneme". also the fast articulation at this point produces "consonants".

the second lfo varies the rate of the amp envelope, lengthening sustain between 16th notes at some points, and making others short, creating "multisyllable words"

the mod section then is used to FSU, eg. assign the lfos to pitch, lfo 2 to lfo 1 rate/amt, there are even several with the frequency shift amount being modulated...

...so it's well f**ked up, and obviously sounds nothing like mandarin being spoken backwards, and "shouldn't" produce any intelligible english phrases whatsoever......
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha xoxos.net free vst. neither a follower nor a leader be
synzh
KVRist

242 posts since 27 May, 2013, from Leesburg, VA

Postby synzh; Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:40 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

Listening now, cool - always expect you to beat to a different drum xoxos
genre = IDB (intelligent dope beats)?
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

two more albums up on bandcamp..

..perhaps you remember this..

in 2008 i made a bunch of demo mp3s using the presets from syng2, and the contemporary sequence generators and synths. the result is pretty enjoyable casual listening.. best enjoyed with a wide stereo field. in retrospect i think these are some of the better works i did with those tools.

https://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/syng2

i think i'm also going to call it a day for shun D -

i set out to do a "dope beats vol. II" with odd time signatures. in that respect the results were outstanding, as the vocalists performed well in the temporal conditions. you may even forget that it's not 4/4.

this process was "a different journey" the second time around. i used some different source material and several of the vocals are "whispery" and ..require advanced attention skills.. i think i managed to complete the standout tracks. it would be nice to finish because of the effort made on the part of the vocalists, but i don't know if i'll get there.. the album is difficult material, in theme, and production considerations. there are imperfections here and there, if i had a bunch more weed and a couple months.. it's also more personal than DBFS - you can hear my name (rurik) spoken several times in the tracks that are up.

at the current time, i feel that "dope beats" is now a thoroughly classic album, which will be uniquely significant long after i am forgotten (of course not that it will ever receive attention fitting such an article). shun d is in parts brilliant

eg.
genie rapper says "lamping it, naturally" (if you know rap)

but it's darn hard to hear. i tell ya.. very hard music.

i think "deemin thugs" is the most overt in terms of "that's a voice!"

"back off - i'll say it nicely though.."

deemins are all over..

a lot of them sounded really like smeary noise, even after making DBFS 1.. but given the attention, none of them can be denied as intelligible. but.. who's going to want to listen to it that much?

xiongdi, lamping it naturally

on my little bootie!

https://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/shun-d

xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:34 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

tbh, though western culture does relate incidents regarding the music industry and .. supernatural forces..

..i perceive that the mechanisms of the standard, "everyday" industry are much more deceptive, malign and soul pwning .. than.. say.. a bunch of supernatural entities rapping on your vst. to me, the effect is more liberating than ensnaring. these are "thugs", lovers of freedom, not creatures of bureaucracy.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:56 am Re: xoxos november 2015

haven't been able to spend much time with audio recently, but have occasionally been uploading "bits and bobs," as it is said, to a retrospective volume entitled "arch i'ves"

i sort of wanted it to be an insight into "look what years of studio time can be like", i think i noted some thoughts on this in one recent thread or another. anyway, much to attend to.

http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/archives

xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:42 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

xoxos wrote:i sort of wanted it to be an insight into "look what years of studio time can be like"

i think it's been about two weeks since i added any tracks to this album, so it probably contains about everything i intended it to, at least that i can find. it's funny/amazing, given that so much composition took place in the digital era, yet due to this factor or that, volumes of tracks were lost, or had to be recovered from compressed or damaged media. yay for giant drives. as mentioned, the "high kingdom" album is planned as being stupidly intensive audio which will take years in the making. those few of you who have an interest in my musical output, don't hold your breath, i've let go of ambition enough to age these tracks to their own standard (one of them i thought was a big band hit, it took years to come to terms with the fact that it didn't exist in the world. so, difficult to render).

generally tho, i did intend this to be a pleasant and candid tour, so if you enjoy syntheticity, i do invite you to spend some time listening :)

without divulging unnecessary details, i anticipate recent "changes of life" are going to inhibit my development for a fair period here, i'm not out or over, and have been checking in now and then, and (honestly!) done a bit of (noncommittal) writing on synthesis, from the way i feel i don't think i'm going to be overly creative for a while. don't shut the barn door on me, don't be surprised if time goes by. will probably repeat a similar message in a few more months :)
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:19 am Re: xoxos november 2015

thank you felix :)
rpm
KVRist

345 posts since 17 Dec, 2004, from Istanbul

Postby rpm; Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:48 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

Hey man, I had briefly flirted with your plugins and loved some a lot. I was away from music but getting back now. Bought a new machine and going all 64-bit. Are there any plans to release in 64-bit (I would rather stay away from trying to bridge stuff, just trying to keep life simpler). I would happily buy some of this stuff.
Windows 10, Waveform, NI Guitar Rig 5 & Reaktor 5, Geist 2, Microtonic, EZDrummer 2, EZKeys, Alloy 2, Nectar 2.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:14 am Re: xoxos november 2015

rpm wrote:Hey man, I had briefly flirted with your plugins and loved some a lot.

look, if there are babies or anything xoxos vst is not responsible.

rpm wrote:going all 64-bit

when faced with this enquiry i like to say "who knows maybe someday" in reality i'd think it would be quite a while before i'm inclined to "keep up". at present, if i were to obtain a newer system i'd still run xp on it.

it could happen. lots of things "could" happen. ftr if it does, it would take an unlikely volume of response to lead to rereleasing previous vst in 64 bit. other things to do :)
rpm
KVRist

345 posts since 17 Dec, 2004, from Istanbul

Postby rpm; Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:05 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

Sure man, I understand. Best of luck with your endeavors, I hope there's enough demand and you get a chance to respond because I think you have some unique and cool implementations. Cheers.
Windows 10, Waveform, NI Guitar Rig 5 & Reaktor 5, Geist 2, Microtonic, EZDrummer 2, EZKeys, Alloy 2, Nectar 2.
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

among "other life things" i work outdoors in arizona where it's summer right now, not much happens after work days :)
newuser2014
KVRist

38 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Postby newuser2014; Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:22 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

Sometimes when I'm physically exhausted, from outdoor work especially, I can improvise (almost) like I smoked pot.

So if you haven't tried making music when you are dead tired, try it.
bftucker
KVRian

996 posts since 30 Apr, 2004, from Louisville, KY

Postby bftucker; Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:37 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

xoxos wrote:i sort of wanted it to be an insight into "look what years of studio time can be like", i think i noted some thoughts on this in one recent thread or another. anyway, much to attend to.

http://xoxos.bandcamp.com/album/archives

Wow, that surprised me! Not at all what I expected... In fact, the one word that came to mind was delightful. Thanks, xoxos.
바보
xoxos
Mr Entertainment

Postby xoxos; Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:39 pm Re: xoxos november 2015

bftucker wrote:Not at all what I expected...

:? what did you expect, the guy's a gigolo, man. heheheh. looking good, hanging with the wild bunch. looking good is a state of mind. like punching a chocolate eclair. you'd think that past the first time it loses meaning, but keep going, much much longer than seems reasonable to anyone. bomb the bass, chocolate eclair.

ty :) nice to hear you enjoyed some of those things.

bftucker wrote:the one word that came to mind was delightful.

delightful
lly lovely
the way you opened my heart
the way you know from the start
to be lovely
(track #17 :p )

hey i should just do an album called "it's a shitty day" and make people feel all degraded and pointless. sold as realism. it's science!
Next

Moderators: xoxos, Moderators (Main)

Return to xoxos