Signal Analyzer feature request

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm use Signal Analyzer in oscilloscope mode very offen. I had 2 monitors in my studio DAW and use second monitor for signal control purposes.
1. Can you increase size of window (1024x480 will be very good)?
I think that window size customisation option will be very usefull.
2. Sync function not working properly. Can you implement some trigger functions like in big hardware oscilloscopes?
Self triggering on posititive\negative treshold, on zerocrossing in both directions (positive\negative). External trigerring also be very usefull.
3. Also you need to draw dB scale on Y axis.
4. Next brilliant feature that must be: it is cursor measurements. With cursor measurements Signal Analyzer user can see period (frequency) of wave or halfwave, determine relative level of signal and etc.

I had software from big hardware lab oscilloscope with previous writen functions but this soft for Lab not for Music and does not support Vst.
I can send this soft to you. You can watch interface and how work this functions.

thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delayed answer. i somehow lost track of the forum. OK, here we go:
darlock wrote:I'm use Signal Analyzer in oscilloscope mode very offen. I had 2 monitors in my studio DAW and use second monitor for signal control purposes.
1. Can you increase size of window (1024x480 will be very good)?
I think that window size customisation option will be very usefull.
yes. i completely agree that it would be nice to have resizing. fullscreen would be awesome. the problem is, that (due to the particular GUI-framework that i use) currently all the graphics rendering is done in software (no acceleration from the graphics card). this, in turn, implies that the CPU usage depends on the size and increases significantly when going bigger. i have experimented with various sizes and found the current size to be a good compromise between size and CPU load. however, i'm currently in the process of writing my own GUI framework (currently i'm using a third party framewrok, namely JUCE). this new framework will probably make use of OpenGL and as such will be hardware accelerated. if this is done, i'll try resizability again. but it will take time. lots of code has to be written...
2. Sync function not working properly. Can you implement some trigger functions like in big hardware oscilloscopes?
Self triggering on posititive\negative treshold, on zerocrossing in both directions (positive\negative). External trigerring also be very usefull.
hmm...not working properly? could you be more specific? what kind of input signal do you have and what does happen? generally, it is supposed to work well only with monophonic, periodic input.
3. Also you need to draw dB scale on Y axis.
really? oscilloscope with dB-scaled amplitude? would not be big deal, i guess, but i don't think i have ever seen such a thing. ...or except, maybe, for plotting impulse responses of reverbs. hmmm.. OK - if people think, it's useful, i'll probably do it.
4. Next brilliant feature that must be: it is cursor measurements. With cursor measurements Signal Analyzer user can see period (frequency) of wave or halfwave, determine relative level of signal and etc.
you mean, like, when you move the cursor over some area, some info is displayed? like time and level of the current cursor position?
I had software from big hardware lab oscilloscope with previous writen functions but this soft for Lab not for Music and does not support Vst.
I can send this soft to you. You can watch interface and how work this functions.
you mean you have some software code for a hardware oscilloscope? or do you mean you have a software program that emulates an hardware oscilloscope but is only standalone? ...however, it you think it can give me inspiration feel free to send it over - but only if the copyright permits that.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:thanks for your feedback and sorry for the delayed answer. i somehow lost track of the forum. OK, here we go:
darlock wrote:2. Sync function not working properly. Can you implement some trigger functions like in big hardware oscilloscopes?
hmm...not working properly? could you be more specific? what kind of input signal do you have and what does happen? generally, it is supposed to work well only with monophonic, periodic input.
When you use internal triggering on (L or R channel), you also must choose level of trigger (sync) and direction of wave (positive or negative)

I prepared demo version of software from my hard osc.
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29177689/Osc_Inst_R.7z
Please install all options and start demo mode. You will see all about triggering.
Also you can see all about cursor measurements. I don't want implementation of RMS, AVG, Peak duration and other from this software. I think dual cursor measurement of freq, relative time and amplitude will be enough.

dB scale is very useful for bass drum and other bass control.
Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:
you mean, like, when you move the cursor over some area, some info is displayed? like time and level of the current cursor position?
Please try to install and watch in live real demo software with dual cursor measurements. You can set red cursor with left mouse click and blue cursor with right mouse click and watch measurements in bottom right part of screen.
Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:
you mean you have some software code for a hardware oscilloscope? or do you mean you have a software program that emulates an hardware oscilloscope but is only standalone? ...however, it you think it can give me inspiration feel free to send it over - but only if the copyright permits that.
It is no copyright permission to this software, i also had some source code for early versions. You can free watch this.

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote: yes. i completely agree that it would be nice to have resizing. fullscreen would be awesome. the problem is, that (due to the particular GUI-framework that i use) currently all the graphics rendering is done in software (no acceleration from the graphics card). this, in turn, implies that the CPU usage depends on the size and increases significantly when going bigger. i have experimented with various sizes and found the current size to be a good compromise between size and CPU load. however, i'm currently in the process of writing my own GUI framework (currently i'm using a third party framewrok, namely JUCE). this new framework will probably make use of OpenGL and as such will be hardware accelerated. if this is done, i'll try resizability again. but it will take time. lots of code has to be written...
Hey, are you still doing this?

BlackOp wrote:
Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote: yes. i completely agree that it would be nice to have resizing. fullscreen would be awesome. the problem is, that (due to the particular GUI-framework that i use) currently all the graphics rendering is done in software (no acceleration from the graphics card). this, in turn, implies that the CPU usage depends on the size and increases significantly when going bigger. i have experimented with various sizes and found the current size to be a good compromise between size and CPU load. however, i'm currently in the process of writing my own GUI framework (currently i'm using a third party framewrok, namely JUCE). this new framework will probably make use of OpenGL and as such will be hardware accelerated. if this is done, i'll try resizability again. but it will take time. lots of code has to be written...
Hey, are you still doing this?
yes, but probably i will still stick to software renderering. but maybe i can improve the performance a bit nonetheless - it seems wasteful to use juce's darwLine function in a loop to create a function plot, which is what i currently do. we'll see.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Return to “rs-met”