whats up with RS-MET

Official support for: rs-met.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

One of the lowest key developers I know of. Is there anything on the horizon? I thought Liberty was gonna be the hot plugin of 2011. Any news on that front?
miedex

not really. i'm doing mainly contract work these days, because selling my own products doesn't seem to work for me. i guess, i'm kinda stuck in a viscous circle with my own stuff. moreover, my codebase is in some disorder at the moment. i will, however, keep the stuff up as is and try to do updates and new stuff in the freetime.
My website: rs-met.com, My presences on: YouTube, GitHub, Facebook

Straightliner is a good synth, but for the same price (even less expensive) I got Synthmaster which has tons of features more!

I mean the code is done, the synth is finished, you could sell it for a lower price and get some money instead of waiting till someone pays 89 EUR ($115 !) for it...

@Tricky Loops: sorry, i accidently edited your post when i wanted to "reply with quote" - (the buttons are very close to each other). but i could at least reconstruct the part, i wanted to quote.

here's my answer:

i guess, the price was reasonable at the time, the synth came out. nowadays people expect more features for that. but i'm generally reluctant to sales and price drops because once people get used to that, they will start to wait for such things. i'd really prefer product improvements over that. i actually have a couple things in the back of my head which i want to build into the synth (second filter, arbitrary samples, etc.), but my codebase is currently in some kind of disorder which is is why it's difficult to pull off any updates at the moment.

i made the mistake trying to pull off my own (crossplatform) gui framework from scratch, at some stage realized that this overstretches my resources and i must now somehow marry my new codebase with the old. i actually still want to make my own framework, but not from scratch (as i originally planned) but instead as a kind of wrapper around juce with as little as possible interfacing such that juce can easily replaced by some other framework, if necessary - such that my framework becomes a "meta-framework" of some sort. that's a kinda messy business. once i've done this, i'll hopefully become more productive again.

and this, all the while doing contract work to get some food on the table. well, we'll see where this leads to.

Robin from www.rs-met.com wrote:but i'm generally reluctant to sales and price drops because once people get used to that, they will start to wait for such things. i'd really prefer product improvements over that.
You seem to be some kind of "tech" programmer guy with an aversion against marketing, advertisements and sales... But they're important, because if people don't know Straightliner, they cannot buy it.

I love how Urs Heckmann does it -- he makes a lot of advertisement & posts in forums, a big stand at Frankfurter Musikmesse with advertisement posters, great homepage and so on. He can afford NOT to make sales, because everyone knows U-He and they buy his plugins, nevertheless.

But actually only a few people know your product Straightliner. If I haven't had used your old plugins (Aggressor, Pitch Shifter Bank, etc.) and I wouldn't have looked at your new homepage (after I've wondered "What happened with this guy?"), I would never have known anything of Straightliner.

The right amount of marketing can work wonders! But anyway, good luck! :)

Tricky-Loops wrote:You seem to be some kind of "tech" programmer guy with an aversion against marketing, advertisements and sales.
well, i wouldn't call it aversion, but rather lack of interest and/or skill. what i have an aversion against, however, is dishonest "bullshit" marketing and bragging.
I love how Urs Heckmann does it
Urs definitely does it right. his success speaks for itself.
But actually only a few people know your product Straightliner. If I haven't had used your old plugins (Aggressor, Pitch Shifter Bank, etc.)
ha! aggressor! :D i'm happy to hear that some people still remember this synth. nomen est omen.
The right amount of marketing can work wonders! But anyway, good luck! :)
thanks, see you!

I'm a real fan of your GUI framework. So clear, functional, fast, smooth... LOVE IT! :D And all of your plugins. Just magnificent. Maybe you could make some resources by licensing it? Like the JUICE guys do. I probably like them so much because I like "no fuss" GUIs that do the job efficiently, and don't use MBs of memory. Your GUIs also look somehow "scientific" and I love that. :) Judging by the looks of it, I think your GUI framework is vector based, and that's what I think many more developers should use. BMPs just use loads and loads of memory. I love vectors! :)

p.s. and your GUIs remind me of my beloved Atari computer somehow.

p.s.2 The mousewheel works so perfectly with your GUIs. So precise, yet so fast, without any adjustment.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:I'm a real fan of your GUI framework. So clear, functional, fast, smooth... LOVE IT! :D And all of your plugins. Just magnificent.
much thanks. i get a lot of critcism for my GUIs, but they reflect my personal preference and every now and then, someone comes along who seems to be like minded.

Maybe you could make some resources by licensing it? Like the JUICE guys do.
i don't really think that my GUI framework is worth licensing for others. moreover, it's basically just a framework on top of another one (JUCE). however, i'm considering to make my dsp codebase available for licensing. but there's a lot of work to do, before it's ready for that
Judging by the looks of it, I think your GUI framework is vector based, and that's what I think many more developers should use. BMPs just use loads and loads of memory. I love vectors! :)
yes - everything is rendered at runtime. i don't really like bitmaps either.

One question only a developer like you could answer: when you have a vector rendered GUI, I guess it's possible to offload the processing, or at least some of the processing to the VGA card, right? There's also the problem of having to code for different hardware accelerated APIs, of course, like DirectX, or OpenGL. OpenGL is applicable for Linux, OS-X, and Windows if I'm not mistaken, so OpenGL would be best, right? However, is it worth it? Some developers that make vector based GUIs make them so fast and efficient that they don't even need any hardware acceleration, and that's the case with your framework, I believe, and JUCE based GUIs in general. ;) Yeah, I read that you use JUCE, and JUCE is really good. All the plugins that I know that use JUCE work rather smooth and nicely in general. Guys at rawmaterialsoftware are great, too. If I was to make some plugins, I wouldn't think twice about it, even though there's a license cost involved. It's just so well worth it.

I hope everything works out well for you, Robin, you deserve it! :tu: I've been a fan of your work since the beginning. :D and I love Liberty. :lol: Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:OpenGL is applicable for Linux, OS-X, and Windows if I'm not mistaken, so OpenGL would be best, right? However, is it worth it? Some developers that make vector based GUIs make them so fast and efficient that they don't even need any hardware acceleration, and that's the case with your framework, I believe, and JUCE based GUIs in general. ;)
yes, it is possible to use OpenGL - even within JUCE (but i didn't try that yet). for GUIs that only occassionaly redraw on user-parameter changes, the software rendering provided by JUCE seems to be mostly fast enough. however, continually updating GUIs (as in the SignalAnalyzer) could benefit from hardware acceleration.

Yeah, I read that you use JUCE, and JUCE is really good. All the plugins that I know that use JUCE work rather smooth and nicely in general. Guys at rawmaterialsoftware are great, too. If I was to make some plugins, I wouldn't think twice about it, even though there's a license cost involved. It's just so well worth it.
absolutetly. many audio software companies seem to use it - and for a reason. the great thing is that it is actually being used and developed in conjunction with (i believe so, at least) a real world DAW, namely tracktion, which, by incidence (or maybe not) also happens to be my favourite DAW. so, the framework is naturally tailored toward the needs of audio software.

Hello Robin !
Maybe it has already been asked but are you gonna release a 64bit version of your plugs ?

Endor-8o8 wrote:Hello Robin !
Maybe it has already been asked but are you gonna release a 64bit version of your plugs ?
someday probably. but there's nothing scheduled as of yet.

DuX wrote:I'm a real fan of your GUI framework.
+1, these look like actual tools. I always seen Straightliner as quite intriguing, however not at this price and not at this saturation point. If you ever get bored and want to play with half-price-flash-sale, I'll be around.

Hm. Never bought straightliner since I thought that it'd be kinda abandoned or something :P Loved the demo and Great sounding synth but really misses a flashy, cool UI and some visibility by advertising.

Return to “rs-met”