Logic Pro X - wrapper for 32-Bit plugins possible?

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear fxpansioneers. :)

Do you guys think it'd be possible to write a wrapper that enables 32-Bit plugins within Logic Pro X?

Cheers to everyone of you over there,
putte

Isn't that what J-Bridge M does?

http://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridgem/

It's just mentioning the usage of VST-Plugins. I'm thinking AU. :)

Oh you're right so it does - I haven't tried it but was thinking about doing so but for some reason assumed as it was Mac it would do AU too.

Then again I use NI Kore to bridge all my plugins. I suppose you could try a subhost like Bidule or DDMF Metaplugin to do the same?

I have the same wish. Mainstage3 has the same problem.

JbridgeM is only VST.

Another possible solution is combining JbridgeM with MetaPlugin or PlogueBidule....not sure unless someone tries it.

I guess providing the users with such a wrapper would generate quite some sales. What about it, fxpansioneers? ;)

well 32bit bridging requires more than just a wrapper. Basically a 2nd process has to be launched as a 32bit process to host the plugin and some communication between it. That's how jbridge works. But yea, if the jbridge dude would do it for AU's too it would be outstanding, but OSX is not his primary OS so its a big stretch for him. But its also a big stretch beyond the FXpansion vst wrapper.

Thanks for that, Dewdman42. :)

Plogue I believe works. Another solution is Vienna Ensemble PRO 5. Expensive, (goes for $270 in the USA) but if you have more than one computer, it's also a network solution among other things. It has an AU/VST plug in that takes power from the slave computer etc. I haven't bit on VEP 5 yet but nobody I've chatted with online who has bought it has been dissatisfied.

no plogue doesn't do that. You can run plogue standalone and rewire it perhaps, if Logic or mainstage support rewire..but there are some disadvantages to that approach.

Vienna yes you can, but its still too expensive for me, though I wish I had it to use multiple computers, but I know some people have reported great sucess.

Jbridge really works great for this kind of thing, but unfortunately its only VST at this time. There is really nothing else, just rewire to a 32bit host of some kind.

Dewdman42 wrote:no plogue doesn't do that. You can run plogue standalone and rewire it perhaps, if Logic or mainstage support rewire..but there are some disadvantages to that approach.
Hmm? neither Rewire or as an AU? that's too bad. It's also a shame nobody sells their copy of VEP in the marketplace.
Kind of a Catch 22! It's expensive so I haven't bought it, and it's useful, so no one sells it! :lol:

The third option is less elegant, but you could use Soundflower with the IAC MIDI device in Audio MIDI Setup to sync and send audio and MIDI to/from Plogue 32 bit to Logic 64 bit. This should work, or at least is worth attempting considering IAC is free with the OS, and Soundflower is free on Cycling 74's site.

no, rewire works. I believe Mainstage and Logic both support rewire. So then you just need another rewire host which supports 32bit mode and you can rewire that way. Plogue would work for that. There are others too.

But there are disadvantages. plugin settings aren't saved with the project, etc. two hosts loaded up means more resource usage, etc.

Dewdman42 wrote:no, rewire works. I believe Mainstage and Logic both support rewire. So then you just need another rewire host which supports 32bit mode and you can rewire that way. Plogue would work for that.
Not so sure about that, I believe you need both host and client in ReWire to be the same bit depth, either 32 or 64 not both. Plogue I'm pretty sure can host AU/VST as a rewire client, but not many rewire clients can.

For instance I tried having Ableton Live as a rewire client to MainStage as a solution to the pending death of abandoned NI Kore, but Live in client mode doesn't host VST/AUs and doesn't allow MIDI out. So Live cannot change patches in Mainstage rewired like it can with Kore as an AU/VST. So rewiring Live only allows you to use Live's audio capabilities and that's it. :?

My gripe with the demo of Plogue is my main use for Plogue would be as an AU to see if I can set up performance patches in Live, and the demo doesn't allow you to check out PLogues plug in capabilities.

So far again the main working solution is to host both a 32 bit VST AU host and Mainstage - Logic without rewire and to use IAC to sync and control the 32 bit host from Mainstage- Logic - Live etc. Not elegant, but workable.

check out my questions to plogue on this issue:

http://plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6673

I agree about Plogue though, we can't test out the AU or VST functionality with the demo and often times that is the very reason we need it. I don't really need all the fancy features it provides, generally its just a way to host VST's on a host like Mainstage that doesn't support VST or something like that. But we can't test that out before purchase unfortunately.

In any case, I believe you can host 32bit bit plugins in plogue and use rewire with Mainstage. That functionally you CAN demo... I haven't tried it yet.

Dewdman42 wrote:no plogue doesn't do that. You can run plogue standalone and rewire it perhaps, if Logic or mainstage support rewire..but there are some disadvantages to that approach.
The full version runs as an AU plugin too - and can load any VST or AU on your system in Logic 9 64 bit - I see no reason why it wouldn't also do the same in Logic X. Same for Metaplugin (and NI Kore 2 which is what I still use). You would still need to JBridge your VST's of course. Not as seamless as the FXPansion wrapper I guess but the the other nice thing about both of these is they also allow you to use midi plugins which it appears Logic X still can't do (apart from its own new ones).

Return to “FXpansion”