transfer fee

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i was considering buying the synth squad bundle and a couple of expansion sets but i noticed that people have a hard time getting any money for them when reselling because of the frequent sales and the $50 transfer fee. if I bought it when on sale for $100 and ended up selling it a month later, i would basically be giving it away for free if i sold it for anything less than $75 (minus $50 for transfer). is this ever going to change?

i mean, i can understand charging a $50 fee for something like BFD 3, where even the used price is about $200-240, but on $100 plugins? why even bother allowing transfers at this point? i recently saw someone GIVING away their plugins if the buyer just paid for the transfer fee. this is the only thing making me hesitate.

how do companies like PSP and u-he manage to not charge any transfer fee at all and still manage to survive? is the $50 fee just a strategic passive-aggressive way to discourage reselling of their licenses? is it really that simple? if not, could someone please explain it? i remember reading that fxpansion charges that to pay for support, but i find it kind of hard to believe that every single person that touches the license actually utilizes the support. i'm just going by how often i contact support for u-he and PSP. of the 25+ plugins that i own from those companies i've only contacted support on 5 of them and only 1-2 times each, and i'm pretty clueless when it comes to troubleshooting system problems. i would think others fare better. is this untrue?

I have had my Fxpansion software up for sale and nobody seemed to want to buy it even as a bundle where i wanted to sell Tremor, Synthsquad and a copy of BFD Eco all for $200. At the price i was asking the buyer would have gotten BFD Eco for free but still nobody was interested.

I was tempted to sell my account but Im not sure if that is breaking their rules and I didn't really want to ask. I've seen others do this but I don't like doing business that way cause then the next buyer might lose their rights to updates etc.

I understand that most of the people who scour the market place are aware of how much Fxpansion has discounted their products with sales in the past. For instance Synthsquad was on sale for $99 once and it completely ruined its resale value because now i imagine every one wants it for $50 on the marketplace. I have seen people then basically give away their products for the cost of the $50 transfer fee which is nuts!

Even Geist has been on sale.. and normally both of these products go for $250 direct from them.

Now you buy FX from fxpansion your looking at $99 which is their base price, so if you try to resell their FX (Maul, Etch, DCAM Dynamics, Bloom) then your pretty much screwed unless you sell it as a bundle.

I of course think the $50 transfer fee should not bother someone if they are looking for some decent production plugins though! One thing about Fxpansion is they are on par with Native Instruments in quality IMO. Everytime I use their stuff I get no crashes at all in Ableton Live even when I use heavy automation which is definitely nice.

So all in all my words of advice are this. If you want some quality plugins that will serve you well then DO buy, just don't expect to sell them for much if you decide you don't need them in the future..
:borg:

ChristAlmighty wrote: how do companies like PSP and u-he manage to not charge any transfer fee at all and still manage to survive? is the $50 fee just a strategic passive-aggressive way to discourage reselling of their licenses? is it really that simple? if not, could someone please explain it? i remember reading that fxpansion charges that to pay for support, but i find it kind of hard to believe that every single person that touches the license actually utilizes the support. i'm just going by how often i contact support for u-he and PSP. of the 25+ plugins that i own from those companies i've only contacted support on 5 of them and only 1-2 times each, and i'm pretty clueless when it comes to troubleshooting system problems. i would think others fare better. is this untrue?
FXpansion have an "we're always right" attitude to their customers which extends to the "f**k-you" fee; contrast that with another small British company, Camel Audio, who treat their customers like fecking gold - best I've ever seen.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

How about 2CAudio? The transfer fee is $50 and the software become NFR.
I own Aether and Breeze; they are great products but that doesn't justify this punishing resale policy.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

I like fxpansion products and haven't tried to sell anything. That being said, it's a ridiculous amount for a license transfer fee. Transfers should be FREE. If you're going to make someone pay because it takes time, even then $5 for 5 minutes (or less) of work seems to be the most one should have to pay. Bad juju. I also have held back on buying some items because of this exorbitant fee.

I too purchased some of their stuff and like it, dcam second hand, along with geist and a bunch of expansions for each. At this point with the discounting and transfer fee I will no longer buy them second hand or directly from fxpansion because of the resale thing

Unless there is some ridiculous deal on one of their products there's really no point in buying it to me. I.e. some 100$ product, its resale value is already cut in half because of the 50$ transfer for the owner, and then another 50$ for it just being a resale. With that any plugin at 100$ or less from them has absolutely no resale value at all, which at this point besides BFD is pretty much all of them with the discounting. So unless I see one of them for like 30$ or less I dont touch them anymore

I'm neckro bumping this as I don't know where to get the transfer fee from fxpansion. It's not listed under their store that I can see. thanks

hibidy wrote:I'm neckro bumping this as I don't know where to get the transfer fee from fxpansion. It's not listed under their store that I can see. thanks
You need to email them and they'll bestow you with a transfer item when you log in.

-Sam

Thanks man. Yeah, I got that all sorted, but I'd forgotten to repost that :oops:

Hey - I'm thinking of selling off my BFD3 & some expansion packs I have to bundle with it. Can anyone give me some advice or point me to where I might get it? Need to know how to approach the matter ;) Thanks~!

Don't everyone yell @once :-/

why are you asking us? FXPansion has support system, ask them!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Keep 50$ ready for the transfer fee...

Return to “FXpansion”