Is there any way to save/load just MIXER presets in BFD3?

Archive support for: fxpansion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3

ECO has this function and I really liked it because it made it quite easy to dial in different settings to completely change the character of a kit.

BFD3 has some great presets for kit types, but these are global. I would like to be able to, say, take the mixer settings from the POP kit preset and apply it to the FUNK kit, etc.

Also, is there any MIDI conversion function for popular formats? I would like to be able to, say, take a MIDI loop from Addictive Drums and convert it to BFD3 format. Its an easy way to do drum replacement, etc.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Loving BFD3 BTW. Easy to use, and sounds great right out of the box.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote:ECO has this function and I really liked it because it made it quite easy to dial in different settings to completely change the character of a kit.

BFD3 has some great presets for kit types, but these are global. I would like to be able to, say, take the mixer settings from the POP kit preset and apply it to the FUNK kit, etc.

Also, is there any MIDI conversion function for popular formats? I would like to be able to, say, take a MIDI loop from Addictive Drums and convert it to BFD3 format. Its an easy way to do drum replacement, etc.

Any guidance much appreciated.

Loving BFD3 BTW. Easy to use, and sounds great right out of the box.

Cheers
-B
I haven't upgraded to BFD3 yet, but BFD2 certainly can save mixer presets; I can't imagine that FXpansion would drop that functionality in the new version. I just found mention of it in the online manual: http://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals/bfd ... ionmanual/. It looks like it's in the dropdown list under File.

For converting midi drum patterns from one format to another, I use EZPlayer Pro (http://www.toontrack.com/products.asp?item=27

According to the product description: "Supported sampler mappings at the time of writing are: EZdrummer, Superior Drummer, legacy dh Superior and DFH 1&2, Strike, Battery, Kontakt, BFD 1&2, Addictive Drums, Reason Drum Kits, SampleTank, Ocean Way Drums, SR DrumMasters, Steven Slate Drums, Drumcore, and of course any GM software or hardware sampler".

One of the handy things it does is let you pick the midi data for just one part of the kit, so you could combine the kick from a BFD2 pattern, the snare from an Addictive drums pattern, and the high hat from a Superior pattern. And use them to drive Steven Slate drums, if you want. It's the best $50 I've spent on drum software.
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Thanks Doc.

I figured there must be a way to save Mixer presets. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have EZPlayer Pro, so I'm familiar with that. I was hoping something might be integrated in BFD3 itself though.

The latest iteration of Steven Slate drums has this feature, and it's really killer for getting the optimum use out of the program. Drag 'n drop - automatic conversion - done.

Many thanks again for the reply.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

You can use key maps in BFD 3 to map AD to BFD3 format. It's pretty easy to do in BFD3. Set one up, save it and then load thekkey map on top of any kit or preset and incoming midi will be mapped to BFD.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

gmontano wrote:You can use key maps in BFD 3 to map AD to BFD3 format. It's pretty easy to do in BFD3. Set one up, save it and then load thekkey map on top of any kit or preset and incoming midi will be mapped to BFD.
I'm familiar with the feature, but I couldn't find any presets. I'll monkey around with it on my own and see what I can come up with.

'preciate the suggestion.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

About the key maps
BERFAB wrote: I couldn't find any presets.
When you load or save a keymap the mapping preset list comes up. So you can build a map and save it in format xxx, or load a preset and have it mapped to format xxx. It's not perfect obviously, because there is a lot of ambiguity in how the various map formats assign keys to articulations. But, it is usually a good start.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:About the key maps
BERFAB wrote: I couldn't find any presets.
When you load or save a keymap the mapping preset list comes up. So you can build a map and save it in format xxx, or load a preset and have it mapped to format xxx. It's not perfect obviously, because there is a lot of ambiguity in how the various map formats assign keys to articulations. But, it is usually a good start.
Thanks, SJ, I'm aware of that.

What I meant was that there isn't a collection of presets already available for the more popular conversion formats. Studio Drummer and Steven Slate (to name two) do this rather elegantly. And, while none of them cover ALL the formats, it's certainly better than starting from scratch. With all their usual attention to detail, I'm just a bit surprised that FXpansion didn't cover this base.

I really hate to sound like I'm bitching over a rather small detail, though. I'll say it again--I really like BFD3 and would recommend it highly. Much more intuitive than it's predecessor, it gets nearly everything right. And, again, the sound right out of the box is nothing short of amazing. Add to that the expanded MIDI beat library, and you really have a very powerful piece of kit.

I don't like to do a lot of tweaking with this stuff, and so I really appreciate the variety and sound of the all the kit presets, as well as the grooves. It's also why the subject of this thread is 'presets.' Can't get enough of 'em. :D

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Wait a minute. Did I mis-read that?

I just looked at SJ's post again and it seems to say that there ARE presets. If so, please disregard the above.

I hate doing this when I can't be at my studio set up to check it out right away.

Apologies all around if I misunderstood.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

hehe, yeah .. just load the map from the list and all your kits will load against that map ... just make sure you disable the "map" button on the load area.

SJ_Digriz wrote:hehe, yeah .. just load the map from the list and all your kits will load against that map ... just make sure you disable the "map" button on the load area.
OK. No more posts from me on this topic until I've had a chance to go home and test for myself. :D

Cheers
-B
Berfab

for example, I set it to BFD2 map so that I can run BFD3 via jamstix. Although, I have about 80% of a jamstix BFD3 kit set up to drive the new mapping, so eventually I'll be %100 BFD3 mapping.

You're killing me, dude. Let me check it out for myself ... :lol:
Berfab

Here's a quick no audio video of how to load a Steven Slate Keymap preset and then load one of the BFD3 kits mapped to it. The main thing is to have the "Mixer" tab disabled on the kit screen so that it doesn't overwrite the current map.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CulFpu9h ... ycI8N9dVIg

I am sure you have seen it, but there is indeed an AD keymap preset with BFD3.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

@SJ: Man, you freakin' rock. That's awesome.

Thanks for laying it all out for me.

Cheers
-B
Berfab

Return to “FXpansion”