Black Magic Drum Machine Beta testing finished

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Astralp wrote:I'll be getting back to work on it tomorrow, I'm just having a few days off.

Cordelia - Does the latency change with bpm? does affect just the sequences or the individual drum hits too? I think that there is a bug which causes the sequences to be 2 beats late, which I'll be looking into in the next couple of days.

Andy
Hey Andy,
The latency from triggering individual drum hits does not change with BPM, it stays at a constant 559 samples.
The sequences are late, too, but they are about two beats late. If triggering sequences causes more latency (in addition to the two beats), I can't tell yet. I'll have to do some math to figure that out.
I'll run more tests this weekend.

Thanks Cordelia

I've just about finished the kits stuff now, it's taken a lot longer than I expected as I've had to rebuild quite a bit of it to make it compatible, and also work more efficiently. I may have introduced a few bugs in the process but, after this I can feature lock it and add the Patch mems and automation, it is the last big job and then I can concentrate on fixing the bugs and finishing the GUI.

Haven't looked into the current bug reports yet, I'll hopefully make some advancement and have a new beta by the weekend. Your latency problem sounds like it is unique and not related to the late sequences which is a bit worrying. If you can try it in cantabile lite v1 to see if the same thing happens that would be useful :)

take care
Andy

OK New beta is up - 007, changes:

* Kit system now implemented (more below)
* Sample Overview for all slots (on Kit Page)
* Manual Record now starts immediately
* Fixed the late sequence latency hopefully.
* Much internal restructuring of GUI, should be more efficient but may have introduced some loose connections!

KITS

IMPORTANT: First of all, you need to download the kits and extract the to the folder you installed the samples to, ie; the folder will then contain:

C:\HGSounds\Black Magic Kits
C:\HGSounds\Drum Samples
C:\HGSounds\Black Magic Recordings

If you don't do that before running it, BM may crash, I haven't tested that yet.

The Kits are simply a way of saving collections of Wavs, they do not store anything else like vol etc... The kit selection simply loads the sounds, it is not stored in a patch mem of its own, the samples are stored as normal in each slot.

When saving a kit, either save in one of the Kit Folders or create a new Folder to put it in. Kits stored in the top folder will not be seen by Black Magic, they must be in a bank (like the samples).

If you create some good kits, please send them to me :) I have only created a handful to demonstrate the functionality so far.

There are no graphics for the up/down arrows yet, but they do work and are in the same place as on the single sample selection, to the left of the sample name.

Random 1 is for Bank Locked Randomize and Random 2 is for any existing sample.

The __default.bk1 is what the sample defaults use, ie clicking on Section D will load this kit. You can overwrite it with your own default sounds by replacing it, but it will only be changed the next time BM is loaded.

Well I think that's about it now, look forward to hearing how it goes.

Andy

Will there be midi out/midi capture of sequences?

Are the samples on the download page the old samples?

The kits file is listed at 0 meg but does contain kits (around 4kb).

Can you explain why it would be useful? I'm not sure why you would need it, as it makes more sense to use your main sequencer and use it as a standard drum module.

The sequencer is really designed for use with the loop recorder or for midi live sequence triggering, it lacks much of the power of a Host sequencer. It would be quite a bit or work to add that sort of functionality as the sequencer works in the DSP domain, midi is only used to trigger each sequence currently.

I'll make a note for the future, if Black magic Sells well, I will be redeveloping it using the VST SDK so it can be ported to Mac eventually, and it will get improved along the way. I'm not keen on adding any new major features at the moment, unless I can be persuaded they are worth the time :) Basically, the sales fund development time for improving or working on new projects.

No need to re-download the samples.

unrar the kits to the HGSounds directory.

Astralp wrote:No need to re-download the samples.

unrar the kits to the HGSounds directory.
Thanks

Astralp wrote:Can you explain why it would be useful?
If each piece of kit could be output to its own midi track, then it could be edited and played back through BM as edited. If BM doesn't output MIDI, then I guess that isn't feasible. There's a feature in Edison within FL Studio that dumps/converts audio to midi and places it in the piano roll where it can be edited. I may be able to do it this way for BM.
This isn't a feature request if it's a lot of work.
Astralp wrote:I'm not sure why you would need it, as it makes more sense to use your main sequencer and use it as a standard drum module.
Same as above. It just seems that it would provide more editing control with midi data, but then again, I don't spend much time editing audio files.

In FL Studio, I'm getting this error when clicking in the blank text box on the Kit Selection screen and on either of the R buttons to the right of it:

Access violation at address 6558BDE9 in module 'AP_SAMPLE_SYSTEM_RM_FULL2.SEM'. Read of address 00000000.

Sounds like you haven't put the kits in the right place, the kits folder in the correct place, whatever path you chose to install the samples should look like this:

\Black Magic Kits
\Drum Samples
\Black Magic Recordings

can you verify that it does?

The kits will be installed with the samples in the final release, but I will only do that when there is a final selection otherwise everyone will have to keep redownloading the samples.

I've made a note for the future regarding the midi dump.

It works now. I noticed a Kits folder so I put 01 - Basic Kits and 02 - Percussion Kits inside the Kits folder. To fix it, I renamed the Kits folder to Black Magic Kits. Is there any reason to keep the original folder named Kits?

Thanks for considering the midi capture possibility.

Hi Andy,

The Beta 007 seems to be very solid for me on Live 7.0.14. :)

Here goes a little sample I did for you to have an idea.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplaye ... 16169&q=hi

Alex.

Nice one alex, that's great :)

btw, I have found a problem with the Gapper, which I'm looking into.

Jim - If you just extract it to the HGSounds folder the file structure should be correct. Anyhow you got it working... Have you found any problems, what hosts have you tested in?

all seems to work fine for me too. I will test it more this week. very nice work andy !

cheers Damien, hopefully be finished before too long :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”