Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will do, seems pretty stable in FL Studio.

But think i found an early bug, the msb's and PCs on the midi mixer page aren't working, can't change the presets or banks.

One FR i wanted to make is having basic controls mapped in the synth page for things like osc shape and filter type but did you mention something about that?

I was thinking of another sequencer mode type as well, ping pong where the light would bounce back and forth from left to right till it reached the first step and then it would reset and repeat. It could be interesting with the performance controls, slides and octave triggers for generative sequences.

Issue: Running through the filter types in the modulator can result in a harsh or loud piercing noise or buzzing, need to be careful with the levels when switching the modulation type. :oops:

You updated the manual! :D
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote:Will do, seems pretty stable in FL Studio.

But think i found an early bug, the msb's and PCs on the midi mixer page aren't working, can't change the presets or banks.
You mean for internal or external or both? Works here for internal as I've been doing presets today. Are the named presets playing correctly? Just checking you did Re-install the samples a few updates back as well?

manual has indeed been updated!

Synth Controls -> Still debating this one, I don't want the internal synth engine to dominate the plugin too much and Ammonite has *a lot* of parameters, there aren't really any basic controls as it's dual oscillator, and these can include samples so it's an all or nothing thing really. You can override any parameter with the CCs though, although the list value types could be dealt with better as the knobs are from 0-127.

When you say bounce back and forth, you mean 1-3-2-4-3-5... sort of thing?

Modulator -> Hmmm yep, if the feedback is high, the filters can be loud seeing as the 2nd version of each cascades. I'll check it out.

Just tried the program Change with external midi and it's working. Don't forget that for the external midi PC stuff to work it has to be enabled via the PC Enable button just above the select boxes, was that the reason?

Astralp wrote:
musikmachine wrote:Will do, seems pretty stable in FL Studio.

You mean for internal or external or both? Works here for internal as I've been doing presets today. Are the named presets playing correctly? Just checking you did Re-install the samples a few updates back as well?

manual has indeed been updated!

Synth Controls -> Still debating this one, I don't want the internal synth engine to dominate the plugin too much and Ammonite has *a lot* of parameters, there aren't really any basic controls as it's dual oscillator, and these can include samples so it's an all or nothing thing really. You can override any parameter with the CCs though, although the list value types could be dealt with better as the knobs are from 0-127.

When you say bounce back and forth, you mean 1-3-2-4-3-5... sort of thing?

Modulator -> Hmmm yep, if the feedback is high, the filters can be loud seeing as the 2nd version of each cascades. I'll check it out.
Internal. Yeah pretty sure i updated the samples. I installed into the HG Sounds folder though so i have HG Sounds/HG Sounds/Vortex in my plugin folder, i think it's probably the path, will reinstall as i had an issue with Cantabile as well. But i didn't have PC on though all this did was change the timbre of the synth patch.

I was just thinking of the basic controls that are already on the synth pages being assigned to the knobs for the synth patches for quick tweaking and editin for the lazy among us. :oops:

Yeah kinda. Inverted pingpong i guess, starting from 16 then working outwards from left to right till it reaches step 1 or 32 then resetting but you could have other non-linear variations. :)

Are the named presets playing ok?

Path should be ok wherever it is, it's now stored in the registry by the installer. But if it isn't finding sounds, then it's most likely that something is wrong along those lines, every instrument has a corresponding text file now.

The message i get in Cantabile is some parameters could not be loaded (12 of 926) in an existing project. Deleted old instance and reloaded Vortex but it froze and had to force quit.

Opened Cantabile and loaded a fresh instance. this time it opened ok and started Blipper, triggered a few sequences so switched presets to test PCs and got an unrecoverable message then a blank OK box appeared and Cantabile crashed. :(

TBH ... I'm a little confused about the proper directory structure, as I have some HG Sounds in a directory with the txt files in the root drive ... but not for Vortex? Anyway, I just duplicated the folder structure I'd used before and on first go, it seemed to work fine.

I was giving a twirl to the presets with keyboard input and once I pushed a 4th key, the sound took a dive. The sequencers are still working and there is midi output ... but no sound.

Another issue. In the midi output the 1/16th notes are registering as 1/64th when recorded. The tied notes seem to accurately record. It would be nice to have a note length automatable control ... but at least, I think the notes should default to the time base in the sequencers.

BTW ... what is the little red 'drum' button by the squash2scale kb?

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Andy ...

I really like how things are coming along!

I was wondering if there will be away through Vortex to same an entire preset bank, as opposed to just specific presets? In Cubase I can save a preset or take a loaded preset bank and convert it to the Cubase VSTPreset format, and I can load a fxp preset or fxb bank in Cubase ... but I don't see a way from Vortex hosted inside Cubase to save aa fxp preset or create/ save a fxb bank.

I think this would be very important to be able to do.

Como
Last edited by como baila on Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

It seems to me that if I make an alteration to a preset ... change the sqash2scale or a note in a sequence, then load another preset and finally go back to the former preset, the preset should have reset to its original settings since I did not save my changes.

It does reset if I unload and reload Vortex, but not if I change and then reload the a preset.

A second strange thing: after checking if the presets reset to the original settings after reloading, I noted they did ... but after loading/ unloading Vortex a couple of times, when I reloaded it in Cubase the sequencers were no longer triggering. I had to close and reopen Cubase to get them to respond.

Another little point. It would be nice on the suash2scale load menu if the last selected scale was 'ticked' or somehow differentiated, at least within session.

Como

Como

Andy ... this was so weird that I replicated it 3 times before I'm writing this.

Anyway, I wrote earlier that the sound got blown out, even though the sequencers were still working and outputting midi.

I was checking out the presets and when I hit the E note on the Synth Pop sequence it blew out the audio again. It wasn't holding down 4 notes at once, it was simply inputting this specific note.

When I look at the sequence the only thing unusual I note are several back to back notes with ties at the start.

Como

The load button next to the squash to scale still doesn't work.

Blimey OK , I'll do my best to answer all :)

MarkSA wrote:The load button next to the squash to scale still doesn't work.
This should be working, we'll have to do a debug version to see why it isn't.

Well, I think from this version on, backward compatibility will be fine, I have no intentions to any internal changes.

What's Blipper?

I'll see if I can recreate it.

Did you completely remove the old version before using the installer?
musikmachine wrote:The message i get in Cantabile is some parameters could not be loaded (12 of 926) in an existing project. Deleted old instance and reloaded Vortex but it froze and had to force quit.

Opened Cantabile and loaded a fresh instance. this time it opened ok and started Blipper, triggered a few sequences so switched presets to test PCs and got an unrecoverable message then a blank OK box appeared and Cantabile crashed. :(

como baila wrote:TBH ... I'm a little confused about the proper directory structure
Just use the sample content installer, it is all done automatically, just install where you want and everything will be correct.
I was giving a twirl to the presets with keyboard input and once I pushed a 4th key, the sound took a dive. The sequencers are still working and there is midi output ... but no sound.
You mean using internal sounds or external?
Another issue. In the midi output the 1/16th notes are registering as 1/64th when recorded. The tied notes seem to accurately record. It would be nice to have a note length automatable control ... but at least, I think the notes should default to the time base in the sequencers.
This is correct, all notes are triggers and the resolution of Vortex is 64ths. You can use Tie Extend modes to extend notes further.
BTW ... what is the little red 'drum' button by the squash2scale kb?
This is a shortcut which switches off the Scale, and Pitch Buttons with one click because generally when using a channel for Drums you don't want them to repitch in Multi-Mode.

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”