Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep will do :)
jensa wrote:
Astralp wrote:
jensa wrote:Andy, maybe you could include a "blank" FXB with the installer? Just as an easy way to get started.
Yes, I do usually do that don't I... added to the list, although the master default button achieves the same thing for a preset with a single click :)
I guess you do. :-) I just meant a new clean FXB-file as a convenience when wanting to start a completely new BANK. With no PATCHES inside.

Astralp wrote:Not sure I understand correctly, the midi thru buttons are only applicable if you have internal selected on the mixer so you can use both internal and external on the same channel. If internal is switched off then that strip has complete control over external midi.

Also as with the mixer buttons you can set them all to the same state by clicking on one of them whilst holding CTRL, all will be set to that buttons state. But yes I can add a button for switching them all on, I just thought really, you would only want both internal/external on a small number of channels?
It's just that I'm using the different patches as a base for my own creations and every time I switch to a new patch the MIDI thru gets reset. Convenience. :)

And, sorry for continually forgetting about the Ctrl-click. Ha ha.

So, to be coherent with the "Set all direct out"-button ít could use a button for "Set all MIDI thru". But there's Ctrl-click so it's not important as now I promise to remember. Can't speak for new users though. ;-)

Astralp wrote:Also as with the mixer buttons you can set them all to the same state by clicking on one of them whilst holding CTRL, all will be set to that buttons state. But yes I can add a button for switching them all on, I just thought really, you would only want both internal/external on a small number of channels?
I missed the part about using the Cntrl button, too. But, I think a page 'global' all on/ all off switch would be a good idea.

I seem to recall that when I fired up 26B last night, that it defaulted to midi thru on. I'd prefer the default to be off as I imagine I'd only occasionally want to simultaneously use the external synth with an external sound source.

But maybe 'memory' once again has the best of me.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Astralp wrote:Lobby Steinberg to get fxb import/export back, they should be ashamed! :)
Oh, I'm glad I'm not on that boat. :lol:

haha Ok, I'll add it, you've made your case :)

Astralp wrote:haha Ok, I'll add it, you've made your case :)
Ha ha, yer so easy to fool... er, convince. ;)

Jens did you notice if the pitch tallies up correctly between internal and external? Haven't had chance to look into it yet, but it could be my P2500 at fault.

Astralp wrote:Jens did you notice if the pitch tallies up correctly between internal and external? Haven't had chance to look into it yet, but it could be my P2500 at fault.
Just tested and it doesn't sound right no. Also, could you check if you have turned the Db-meter around, to me it seems left channel is displayed as right and the other way round.

Saying no is hard, I just imagine a sad puppy face and it's more than I can bear...

DB -> Ok will do, it is possible!

Ahh thanks, ok will have to sort that one, must mean that the synth engine is actually a semitone out, I'm amazed nobody has noticed :)

Astralp wrote:
You have seen this? http://code.google.com/p/fxtractor/

I'd be very disappointed if user's only used my presets :)
Thanks for this. I'll give it a go by this weekend and try to get back.

Steinberg isn't back tracking. Now that I upgraded to 6.5 and have those two new VSTi 3.5 synths with 'note expression,' I probably will forgive them.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

jensa wrote:
Astralp wrote:
jensa wrote:Andy, maybe you could include a "blank" FXB with the installer? Just as an easy way to get started.
Yes, I do usually do that don't I... added to the list, although the master default button achieves the same thing for a preset with a single click :)
I guess you do. :-) I just meant a new clean FXB-file as a convenience when wanting to start a completely new BANK. With no PATCHES inside.
But isn't this already implemented with the little dark red square just to the right of the keyboard in each sequence? I thought clicking this blanked all the presets in the bank?

Como

como baila wrote:
Astralp wrote:
You have seen this? http://code.google.com/p/fxtractor/

I'd be very disappointed if user's only used my presets :)
Thanks for this. I'll give it a go by this weekend and try to get back.

Steinberg isn't back tracking. Now that I upgraded to 6.5 and have those two new VSTi 3.5 synths with 'note expression,' I probably will forgive them.

Como
I have to admit, I have been looking at the specs for 6 and wondering if I could get away with the middle version... hmmm

Astralp wrote:I have to admit, I have been looking at the specs for 6 and wondering if I could get away with the middle version... hmmm
Cubase is the midiot's dream sequencer.

Andy, a quick question on pitchshift.

Does it basically transpose the whole sequence by the semitone interval (i.e., distance from the C note of the pitch shift octave to the key used)?

If so, I guess it would play the sequence with the same squash2scale, if that is enabled, but in a different key.

Or does the original squash2scale still keep those pitch shifted notes locked in the original root key of the sequence?

Depending, if it doesn't already, I also wish ... 'if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride!' ... that the notes could be repitched, but still have to follow the original squash2scale setting.

You know, start the sequence on a different note, but remain diatonic to the original key.

Como

Does it basically transpose the whole sequence by the semitone interval (i.e., distance from the C note of the pitch shift octave to the key used)?
Yes it transposes by the amount set for that key (perhaps these should be called pitch triggers).

Squash to Scale is done first, the job of squash to scale is to make it possible to set a scale and randomize knowing it will be in tune with the scale. So any pitch changes after this will transpose it as is.

If I understand correctly what you describe is what Multi-Sequence already does? That allows re-scaling the sequences. I think it would be overkill to repeat it for single mode really. Hmmm maybe not, I'll have to sleep on it. I do sort of like the simplicity of it as it is especially as multi-mode has this feature already. I'm on the fence!

I may be misunderstanding though, my brain is a bit slow today... (whisky abuse last night).

This starts boggling my mind without having the pleasure of whiskey abuse.

If I turn off squash2scale, then what ever is written in the sequence would be pitch shifted up by the semitones.

Let's say I make a riff in A minor starting on the 6th of the grid above either the bottom or mid white line (which I assume is always a C.) I can write it exactly as I wish.

If I now pitch shift it up 5 semitones, using the E note in the pitch shift octave, the exact sequence should be playing in D minor, correct?

So you don't really need squash2scale to transpose, since you can do by simply writing your sequence correctly to begin.

The problem with hypotheticals is that were I at my DAW I could just record everything and see the outcome so I would know what I am talking about.

Anyway, with squash2scale enabled, I've assumed those available scales always refer to the key of C. Is this correct?

I think I've asked about the possibility of defining the semitone/ key of the white grid lines before ... but maybe not.

Anyway, if we are understanding one another, I think you are saying that the pitchshifting is still subject to the root key of the sequencer, C I assume, and that when pitch shift is used, even though the sequence starts on a higher note, it is still subject to the squash2scale in the key of C.

If what I wrote immediately above is correct, I am satisfied. It will make it easier and more clear how to use Vortex harmonically.

Andy, you have been very good to us with all your suggestion implementation. Please feel free to tell me, "Enough!"

Como

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”