Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really like how things are coming along!
Great :)
I was wondering if there will be away through Vortex to same an entire preset bank, as opposed to just specific presets? In Cubase I can save a preset or take a loaded preset bank and convert it to the Cubase VSTPreset format, and I can load a fxp preset or fxb bank in Cubase ... but I don't see a way from Vortex hosted inside Cubase to save aa fxp preset or create/ save a fxb bank.
As I mentioned before, VST Preset handling is always handled by the host and so the help file for your host will let you know how to save/load banks. In the past when I used to use SX3 (and earlier) there was a save/load at the top of each synth. I never used the media browser so not really sure how that works, but I should imagine there must still be a way to use the traditionally method. But, yes you need to find export fxb to save a bank.

I don't have any control over preset handling.

It seems to me that if I make an alteration to a preset ... change the sqash2scale or a note in a sequence, then load another preset and finally go back to the former preset, the preset should have reset to its original settings since I did not save my changes.

It does reset if I unload and reload Vortex, but not if I change and then reload the a preset.
All VST Presets are always loaded fully into memory when an instrument is loaded, so altering a preset is permanent and all presets saved with a project. Only when a fresh instance of the synth is loaded will it load the default presets, re-loading an existing saved project will restore the exact state that you left it in when you saved it. All VST Instruments behave this way :)
A second strange thing: after checking if the presets reset to the original settings after reloading, I noted they did ... but after loading/ unloading Vortex a couple of times, when I reloaded it in Cubase the sequencers were no longer triggering. I had to close and reopen Cubase to get them to respond.
Did the sequencer lights move at all?
Another little point. It would be nice on the suash2scale load menu if the last selected scale was 'ticked' or somehow differentiated, at least within session.
Well this is a tricky one because it's a one shot thing, you could load a scale and then add a note and then it would be confusing as the scale you loaded would not be the one displayed.

I was checking out the presets and when I hit the E note on the Synth Pop sequence it blew out the audio again. It wasn't holding down 4 notes at once, it was simply inputting this specific note.
I'll try and replicate this, it sounds as though it could be high resonance causing the sound to blow out, although the limiter should take care of it.

Confirmed! I'll look into it now. Thanks Como
Astralp wrote:
I was checking out the presets and when I hit the E note on the Synth Pop sequence it blew out the audio again. It wasn't holding down 4 notes at once, it was simply inputting this specific note.
I'll try and replicate this, it sounds as though it could be high resonance causing the sound to blow out, although the limiter should take care of it.

Fixed in the next version.
Astralp wrote:Confirmed! I'll look into it now. Thanks Como
Astralp wrote:

Astralp wrote:
como baila wrote:Another issue. In the midi output the 1/16th notes are registering as 1/64th when recorded. The tied notes seem to accurately record. It would be nice to have a note length automatable control ... but at least, I think the notes should default to the time base in the sequencers.
This is correct, all notes are triggers and the resolution of Vortex is 64ths. You can use Tie Extend modes to extend notes further.
I read the part about "no more internal changes," so maybe some of my comments will fall in the 'feature request' category! 8)

Would you consider implementing a 'Pulse Width' control on each sequencer like the one in ARP? The 1/64th resolution is great, but it would also be great to either pick and in between setting like a 1/32nd note or ... even better ... be able to automate pulse width on the sequence to change note duration during a sequence.

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Astralp wrote:
All VST Presets are always loaded fully into memory when an instrument is loaded, so altering a preset is permanent and all presets saved with a project. Only when a fresh instance of the synth is loaded will it load the default presets, re-loading an existing saved project will restore the exact state that you left it in when you saved it. All VST Instruments behave this way :)

Thanks for the lesson! I knew presets were saved with a project, but for some reason I could have sworn in the past the changes to presets, i.e., tweaks, etc., had be be saved as a new preset to be recalled, but given that the sequencers really like MIDI tracks in a project, it's all making sense.
Astralp wrote:
A second strange thing: after checking if the presets reset to the original settings after reloading, I noted they did ... but after loading/ unloading Vortex a couple of times, when I reloaded it in Cubase the sequencers were no longer triggering. I had to close and reopen Cubase to get them to respond.
Did the sequencer lights move at all?
No, I should have made the clear when I said "wasn't running." This happened twice, as I said after multiple unload/ reloads.

As I said, it happened after the audio had been blown out. Later when I unloaded and reloaded with out pressing that E key on Synth Pop, it didn't reoccur.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

como baila wrote:
Astralp wrote:
como baila wrote:Another issue. In the midi output the 1/16th notes are registering as 1/64th when recorded. The tied notes seem to accurately record. It would be nice to have a note length automatable control ... but at least, I think the notes should default to the time base in the sequencers.
This is correct, all notes are triggers and the resolution of Vortex is 64ths. You can use Tie Extend modes to extend notes further.
I read the part about "no more internal changes," so maybe some of my comments will fall in the 'feature request' category! 8)

Would you consider implementing a 'Pulse Width' control on each sequencer like the one in ARP? The 1/64th resolution is great, but it would also be great to either pick and in between setting like a 1/32nd note or ... even better ... be able to automate pulse width on the sequence to change note duration during a sequence.

Como
As I've mentioned before, it's on the list :) In ARP it was easy as there is only a single clock, but Vortex is much more complex as it has 12 different clocks which have to be kept in sync all of which can be at different tempos. The way it was done in ARP isn't possible and so the tie extend modes achieve the same thing. Swing is the other difficult problem, but I intend to investigate again in the future.

No, I should have made the clear when I said "wasn't running." This happened twice, as I said after multiple unload/ reloads.

As I said, it happened after the audio had been blown out. Later when I unloaded and reloaded with out pressing that E key on Synth Pop, it didn't reoccur.
This is probably linked to the above problem, see what happens in the next version :)

Astralp wrote:As I've mentioned before, it's on the list :)

What!? :shock:

Now I'm supposed to remember what you've already said, too?

You have no idea who you're dealin' with! :cry:

Como

haha :)

I suppose I need to do a roadmap list when I get a chance :)

// Beta 20

* Fixed possible crash when GUI is reloaded, may also cause issues with multiple instances.
* Some patches could cause the sound to blow out
* Now triggers correctly in Reaper at the start of the selection.

Just run the installer, should automatically update changed files.

Mark, this version logs the squash load button, if you can run vortex, click the load button once and then send me the text file at C:/debug2.txt we can hopefully see what is going on.

Astralp wrote:haha :)

I suppose I need to do a roadmap list when I get a chance :)
I'll vote for that!

Is selecting a sub-set of notes in a sequence (Control/ Option Click or some 'lasso' method)and moving them with 'Shift' on that map?

I can imagine some issues if it lead to overlapping the same grid column with another note when released, but couldn't the pre-existing note with any ties just be wiped out?

Also, is polyphony within a grid column a 'road mappable' possibility?

Como

Is selecting a sub-set of notes in a sequence (Control/ Option Click or some 'lasso' method)and moving them with 'Shift' on that map?

I can imagine some issues if it lead to overlapping the same grid column with another note when released, but couldn't the pre-existing note with any ties just be wiped out?

Also, is polyphony within a grid column a 'road mappable' possibility?
Well all of the above is tied to the polyphony and how it's implemented. At the moment I'm leaning heavily towards having 4 sub-sequences per Sequencer rather than an all out polyphonic display. The big big big plus with this, is that it fits into the existing system easily, but more importantly means that from a single menu per sequence, there will be different modes to decide how the different sequences will behave. For instance they could all play simultaneously, or in pairs, all be chained together to form an 128 step sequence, randomized, selectable via CC etc... I find that a lot more exciting than going down the actual polyphonic route, adds much more power and flexibility by simply adding a menu item and 4 buttons :)

In terms of selecting notes, I thought at the very least it would be useful to do something like CTRL click a note and all notes that are the same can be moved UP/DOWN whilst CTRL is held. That would be very useful for drum parts.

Moving Left/right does present some problems in terms of what to do with existing notes as things stand. The non-paint mode actually swaps places with existing notes, but I don't think it was actually very useful most of the time.

I'm keen to get on with Polyphony, I should think it's first on the list of big features for 1.1. But I need to get v1 released to fund the development time, so getting everything stable is the priority right now. It's become a much deeper/complex plugin from my initial idea and the midi based plugin it started out as, but I'm hoping it sells well enough to keep developing it well into the future. I haven't been this excited about a project for a long while :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”