Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can do a version with a midi debugger to see what is coming into Vortex midiwise. Yep I don't like the port idea in FL, it seems a bit convoluted, I'm sure there must be a reason why..

There is a bug, where a sequence gets stuck playing, I've experienced but not very often, I could blanket fix it but really I want to know the situation which leads to it so I can address it properly. So far I haven't been able to recreate it and it hasn't happened for a while. I have a feeling it is to do with the multi sequencer. If you can find any clues let me know :)

right back to graphics..

Another no-brainer from Andy. Bought it without even testing it. :tu:

Thanks Jens :)

Here is the next beta, just graphic changes in this one on the main sequencer display, it's much more efficient now, prettier and eventually skinnable :)

Beta 3

Sorry, forgot to put the sequence lights back and add the debug code, please re-download if you just downloaded it...

MM - This version writes a log file to C:/debug.txt of all incoming midi data, if you can try the triggers and channel 16 and the send me the file I should be able to see what's going down. :)

Oh, also forgot to say the new version isn't compatible with old projects, I had to significantly change the way velocity is stored and so it will be unpredictable in saved projects, hopefully from now on it will be backward compatible with previous versions. Sorry about that, but it had to be done.

Nice UI but the version i've just downloaded doesn't work in FL and when i try to rescan in Cantabile it crashes. I'm running Ableton in demo mode and it's working well but i still can't get the pitch to work, it just triggers another sequence, even when i set the midi in to channel 16. I assigned a button on my Roland A-300 pro to reverse and that changed the sequence, also tried clip automation to no effect. Also seems to be random but sometimes the sequencer lights don't work.

Uploaded the debug file anyway http://www.box.com/s/a9sbqsxby59fxchftnsz :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Really? I need to think for a bit, I'm wondering if it's 64 bit related issues..

I'll check out your log file, thanks :)

You mean the sequence lights at the bottom of sequencer, do the others at the top and on the mixer work ok? I might have to move the ones at the bottom anyhow as they cause the entire sequencer section to force a redraw, but I'm not sure where to put them yet, that is where they need to be, it's either that or move the step slider to it's own module.

Oh, I have to ask, did you delete the old version completely (I'm sure you did :)

No GUI Test for TJ

Can you try this one, I've removed the GUI code to see if that is the cause of the crash in cantabile and not working in FL. Ta!

Looking at the log, there are no messages on channel 16, I'll set up a debug at the actual input. For the triggers it should be a momentary button type: OFF state zero, ON state 127. I can see a stream in the log incrementing as though it's a knob, but I guess that is when you tried with automation?

Hmmm, well in FL regardless of what channel you sent on in is always channel 1, plus no CCs are received by the plugin, am I missing something? I only use FL for brief testing and so don't know how to use it beyond the very basics. Do you have to manually link controllers via the Fruity Wrapper? Seems convoluted if that's the case.. On top of that FL itself uses the CCs to control playback etc, so how is it possible to use them for a plugin? I give up with it, I even bult a plugin with just midi logging info and it always converts the incoming channel to 1... sigh... :)

It works as expected in Reaper and Cantabile.

Astralp wrote:Janusz

That would be fantastic :)

Have you noticed any bugs in Studio One?
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, my two sons (1 & 5 year old) catch a flu, so currently I haven't time for more advanced tests. However, I wrote short document with screenshots about using Vortex in Studio One. I'd like send it to you, but I need your email address, because I can't upload to you attachments via contact form on your site. Could write me PM with your email address?

Best,
Janusz
Computer: rack PC, Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB & 500 GB SSD disks, HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM
DAW: Studio One 3 Pro, FL Studio Producer 20, Bitwig 2
Hardware: Yamaha 01X + 2 x Yamaha i88X, Nektar Panorama P4, Behringer BCR2000,

Thanks Andy,

I sent it.

Janusz
Computer: rack PC, Windows 10 64bit, Intel i7 2700K, 16 GB RAM, 250 GB & 500 GB SSD disks, HDD 1 TB 7200 RPM
DAW: Studio One 3 Pro, FL Studio Producer 20, Bitwig 2
Hardware: Yamaha 01X + 2 x Yamaha i88X, Nektar Panorama P4, Behringer BCR2000,

Astralp wrote:I can do a version with a midi debugger to see what is coming into Vortex midiwise. Yep I don't like the port idea in FL, it seems a bit convoluted, I'm sure there must be a reason why..

There is a bug, where a sequence gets stuck playing, I've experienced but not very often, I could blanket fix it but really I want to know the situation which leads to it so I can address it properly. So far I haven't been able to recreate it and it hasn't happened for a while. I have a feeling it is to do with the multi sequencer. If you can find any clues let me know :)

right back to graphics..
Initially i just overwrote beta 2 but then i removed it completely. Yeah the sequence lights. The sequence still plays but occasionally there are no lights. Btw should Vortex indicate when the triggers are being triggered?

I've had the stuck note and speed up bug in FL and Cantabile. I forgot to say i'm testing it on win 7 32 bit. It's an amd system though fwiw but i'm testing it on my laptop see if i'm having the same problems, seems better so far.

Iirc FL receives on all channels unless you select all the tracks and then it sends on 1-16 respectively.

It receives the pitch changes from the midi out plugin but external controllers just trigger the sequences. The timing seems to be caused by align tick length, disabled that and it's playing perfectly in sync now. :)

Yeah the increment is probably the clip automation i tried. With maschine i assigned a button and set it to trigger which is momentary, minimum velocity 0, maximum 127 on channel 1.

One FR, i know it was shown in the Nexus clip someone posted but a way to lengthen the step beyond one 16th would be great, or is that what the triggers effectively do? I suppose the timing would be different but sometimes i find the gate to be too short although i could assign a CC track to the synths sustain or release. Cheers. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Thanks Janusz, might be a little while before I get around to adding it, it'll be on the next big manual update when all the new features are complete.

I can't think of any reason why an AMD chip would cause problems, there is SSE used in the synth engine but AMD chips can handle that.

Did you try the no GUI version above to see if it solved the scanning issue in Cantabile? That one has me worried, it could be an issue with the graphics stuff I've just added, so before I doing any more in other areas it would be good to know it isn't causing issues.

To lengthen the step choose the tie extend modes, using that you can increase the length by adding another tie step as long as the original note is tied and it doesn't hit another note first :)

Keep in mind if you can notice a sequence of events that leads to the stuck sequence, that would be greatly helpful :)

Good news on the align tick length solution, I just checked in my version and it's disabled so that explains that one, I wonder if it is disabled or enabled by default..

I'm just adding the FX engine and coding something for the routing, I figured I would try 4 selectable output pairs, and number one goes through the FX. That way it gives 3 possible busses for processing externally.

With beta3 is the synth portion supposed to work? I only briefly got to try 2 and I couldnt get it working in there, so tonight I figured id take a closer look. So I just enabled the yellow button next to each number, but not getting any audio out at all. Tried messing the lsb/msb and still nothing

Just wondering if I was missing something

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”