Vortex VSTi - Multi Timbral Groove Machine Beta

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I opened an instance in Studio One. Inserted a clip and painted a note 2 bars long on C3. Triggered Blipper to check it was working then i loaded Synth Pop. Changed the midi track bank and preset to 0 which gave a nice bass. Saved the Project.

Doubled the sequence to 32 steps and inserted an instance of Strobe to sequence with Vortex. Routed the midi into Strobe and triggered the playback.

Was triggering but with a very short gate (FR for track paint mode to quickly paint in the ties, volume etc for external sequencing).

Saved the project again then i noticed my laptop fan was running at full power. Checked task manager and cpu was at %95. Deleted Strobe track and cpu was still high, deleted Vortex track and cpu dropped but Studio One crashed.

Re the sequencer gate is the workaround to use the tie mode extended to lengthen the notes? I haven't done much external sequencing yet but i guess the note tie would be the only way to control the length of the midi notes recorded externally...
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

Thanks TJ, I have noticed that once last week, I haven't been able to reproduce it, I'll have a go now.

Paint mode noted, good idea.

Extend Mode -> well I'd call it a feature rather than a workaround :) If you have a note that is tied, it will be the length of a single step, if it has another tie on the next step it will be 2 steps long etc... So on, until another note is reached.

Have been playing around with Vortex with installed samples. :wink:

Sounds pretty good. I guess my wish list for Vortex would be more steps 64 or 128 would be nice. Midi export?

Otherwise powerful beastie. Must get my head around accessing more of the sounds with the MSB, LSB etc.

MarkSA wrote:Have been playing around with Vortex with installed samples. :wink:

Sounds pretty good. I guess my wish list for Vortex would be more steps 64 or 128 would be nice. Midi export?

Otherwise powerful beastie. Must get my head around accessing more of the sounds with the MSB, LSB etc.
Mark ... I, too, would vote for more steps, especially 128, which would put us right at an eight bar section with 1/16ths.

You probably already know this, but if not ... if you have any multitimbral hardware or multitimbral soft synth, the easiest way to do it, turn off the internal synths, route your sounds to separate midi tracks and record the midi output.

When Vortex is triggered from notes in a midi track its really better than exporting, since you can lay down a complete arrangement by recording each sequencer's midi out to a separate midi track.

On the other hand, midi import would be very desirable to me.

I think it's already on the 'can it go on the road map list' for the 'road map list.'

Como
Last edited by como baila on Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

[Feature Request] ... for the 'road map.'

Andy,

I really haven't had a chance to dig into your synths, except for what's loaded in Vortex. But what I hear sounds pretty good.

Now since I'm a midiot and not an audiot, this doesn't concern me too much.

But were I an audiot, I'd want to track each sequencer output individually, so that after I arranged and recorded something from Vortex, I could go to full on mixing/ remixing.

Now I know this is possible by essentially conceptually bouncing, recording 4 outs at a pass while the other 8 are muted, and repeat the process ... but while it's doable, it's convoluted.

What has prevented you from simply creating 12 assignable stereo audio outs (or even 13 to have an extra to record the whole mix in addition to the individual sequences)? If it's too much load for someone, they could just reduce the number of activated outputs.

I think it would be a really strong selling feature for audiots.

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Astralp wrote:Thanks TJ, I have noticed that once last week, I haven't been able to reproduce it, I'll have a go now.

Paint mode noted, good idea.

Extend Mode -> well I'd call it a feature rather than a workaround :) If you have a note that is tied, it will be the length of a single step, if it has another tie on the next step it will be 2 steps long etc... So on, until another note is reached.
I'll post any that reoccur step by step if it helps you squash the bug-gers. :hihi:

Just got an access violation :o message when i clicked on shift in Vortex.

Access violaiton at address ... in module 'ntldll.dll. Read of address ...

Mouse button became latched to the sequence until i clicked it again.

+1 for longer sequences but how would you deal with editing 4-8 bars on a small single panel gui, it would be hard to keep an overview of the sequence.:wink:
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

musikmachine wrote: +1 for longer sequences but how would you deal with editing 4-8 bars on a small single panel gui, it would be hard to keep an overview of the sequence.:wink:
I am no programmer ... just a wishful thinker, but a scroll bar works pretty well on most of my apps!

Then there is the 4 sub-sequencer concept ... not exactly the same, but get you to 8 bars in 2x4 fashion with a link feature, something I think Andy mentioned.

BTW, I experienced the Load button for squash2scale not working tonight for the first time. Didn't have time to reload, reopen or reboot to see if it would come back ... or it came along with Beta 20.

Como

You probably already know this, but if not ... if you have any multitimbral hardware or multitimbral soft synth, the easiest way to do it, turn off the internal synths, route your sounds to separate midi tracks and record the midi output.

When Vortex is triggered from notes in a midi track its really better than exporting, since you can lay down a complete arrangement by recording each sequencer's midi out to a separate midi track.
Thanks Como, I will investigate further. Individual audio outputs that would be nice.

The squash to scale button issue works for me at the moment.

Different computers, different bugs?

Sorry for the silence everyone, we are having 'internet issues' at the house so access is sporadic, hopefully be sorted soon and I'll reply properly.

At the moment I have found some problems with the instrument/wav loader threads and I'm in the middle of recoding that section. This was possibly responsible for a few issues people were having such as sound dropouts..

Astralp wrote:Sorry for the silence everyone, we are having 'internet issues' at the house
Tell the Mrs. that you are old enough to go online as much and as often as you want.

Worked for me with the now ex-Mrs.

Como

OK ... I am confirming that 'Load' on scale2squash is not working in Beta 20 in Cubase. It did in prior versions since implemented. It is also working in Chainer.

Also, I am only able to load one instance, which is not a big deal, but I can imagine times when I'd like to have two or even three instances running.

[FR] I think a warning is necessary on the green 'init' square, first click with a 'Are you sure? Will erase notes in all sequences.' Or some better verbiage. It's too easy to erase a lot of work inadvertently.

Also, I'm not understanding what the 'Skip' with, I think, D1 does?

The 'Tie' key is a gas. I can imagine using it to midi record some tasty variations.

BTW ... the manual doesn't seem to reference use of those lower octave triggers when the sequencer are running.

The synth sounds really good Andy, but there is still one strong reason to use midi instead ... ability to change the velocity level of the sequence over time.

I was wondering if you'd considered also cross purposing the synth to be midi triggered without the sequencer(s) running?

Como

Como, can you send open a new project in cubase, click on the load scale button and then send me the log file from C:/debug2.txt or paste the contents on here. Preferably I need the log when it hasn't worked previously. I can't see any reason why it shouldn't work!

I've finished all the loading threads now and should be much better, I think it will solve quite a few problems people have been having, including loading multiple instances. I'm going to try and recreate the shift crash and see if I can spot any potential issues in the GUI now.

/////////////////////// Beta 21
* Complete Rewrite of the File/Patch loading system
* Debug enabled for Shift crash - Send me the c:\debug3.txt immediately after you experience a shift related crash.
* Added CC Labels on the main Mixer CC Select lists
* Added Instrument and Kit labels to the MSB Selection Menu

Como, if you could do the above test before updating that would be good!

If you experience the shift bug again please immediately grab the dub3.txt and send it to me which will let me see where the problem is occurring, that would be great :)

I'm eager to see if this version cures the crash problems that TJ was having and the running multiple instances bug.

I've added a requests thread please add any requests in there

On the subject of longer sequences, I won't be changing the way it works currently, I like the simplicity and easily selecting step number via the slider. There will be multiple sequences that can be chained however so that 128 steps per sequence will be possible. I want Vortex to remain simple to use and adding scroll bars etc... would definitely make it less user friendly I think. Currently it is quick and easy to make music with, and I think that's it's strongest point :)

I did think about multi-outputs for each channel but the problem is that the plugin is then stuck with them for every instance which for most people, especially when just using midi or multiple instances could be annoying. I decided on 4 stereo outs as a compromise. At some point I'm sure there will be a direct out version though.
[FR] I think a warning is necessary on the green 'init' square, first click with a 'Are you sure? Will erase notes in all sequences.' Or some better verbiage. It's too easy to erase a lot of work inadvertently.
Not keen on an extra step, once you know what it does, you would only click it when you want to initialize. Personally I used these a lot when using my vsts and having an extra box to click I'd find annoying. I could give it a label on the interface though!
Also, I'm not understanding what the 'Skip' with, I think, D1 does?
C# Skips back x steps and D# skips forward x steps. Set how many steps they skip by in the Master Section (fwd and back amount).
The synth sounds really good Andy, but there is still one strong reason to use midi instead ... ability to change the velocity level of the sequence over time.
I have been thinking about this actually and wondering whether the actual midi incoming velocity should form a percentage for the step values. Either that or perhaps the Fixed Vel Knob at the top could be the percentage. Probably the 1st idea is the best with a global enable. I'll add it to the list anyhow :)
I was wondering if you'd considered also cross purposing the synth to be midi triggered without the sequencer(s) running?
Yes I had, it could actually be a rompler as well. I was holding off on this one until I'd decided what to do about sound editing, but I think I've more or less come round to the idea that there will be a deluxe version for that. That way the spirit of what vortex is currently can be maintained, and then a version which has all the extra resource adding stuff and probably direct output mode etc... It's all open to discussion anyhow.

MarkSA wrote:Have been playing around with Vortex with installed samples. :wink:
Must get my head around accessing more of the sounds with the MSB, LSB etc.
It's easy enough MSB represents the Type of Sounds, so 01 is for instruments and 02 is for drums. In the latest version I've labelled the MSB ) and 1 so it's easier to see :)

The LSBs are then banks of 128 sounds, so selecting LSB 0 will choose the basic soundbank, and then select which program from the 128 program List.

It is a bit confusing, but this is how midi devices have always selected sounds and so people who have ever owned any hardware will know how to use it. For the most part, the synth section is pretending to be an invisible hardware multi-timbral synth :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”