[Feature Request] ARP: Transform MIDI input note

Official support for: hgsounds.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Feature request ... unless it's there somewhere and I haven't found it!

Just working my way around ARP and I really like it!

I do have a question though ... or maybe a feature suggestion?

I understand that the 'root' note sent to ARP reflects the actual keyboard midi input note, which after going through the sequence is further processed by the scale remapper. So any remapped scale is still 'rooted' to the original midi input note, and therefore key of the scale based upon that note. For example, no matter which scale you choose or what offset you use, if you input C#, the output will be a variant of a scale in the key C#.

So, why cannot there be a midi 'transformer' before the scale remapper, or possibly even better before the sequencer, to take the input midi note plus or minus 12 semitones?

Why would I want this? I can think of three quick reasons, but I am sure there are more.

First, in a typical use of C Major, all the 'sharp/ flat' black keys are generally pretty useless, since while you might use one for a passing note, you are typically unlikely to actually play a sequence based upon one of those notes in C Major ... or really any chord progression using keys from all 12 semitones.

Second, if C# could be transformed down a semitone before it hits the sequence, than I could place a scale musically sensible/ consonant with C Major on the second scale remapper and have it be useful. An example might be C Major to C Minor. If I could transform the C# input to C, then I could put a minor scale on the C# remapper and have it immediately available for modulation in a song.

Finally, now I could remap all the sequencer/ arp notes to reflect all the chords typically used in a song, i.e., I could, again using C Major for an example, have both the V chord and the V7 chord available in the same ARP sequence by using midi input G scale remapped to the major chord and G#, transformed down one semitone, scale remapped to dominant 7th chord.

What do others think?

Como
Help! I've fallen up and can't get down!

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

Well you can do this sort of by choosing root mode in the Remapper which treats all sequences as C (or whatever the global transpose is set to) which basically is the mode which vortex uses.

But, I'm sure I can come up with something along the idea you suggest, I've added it the ARP todo list, but Vortex is taking priority at the moment, Arp will be revisited once I have the Vortex Release stable.

Ahh! I didn't know there was a setting for this. I can see how this would be useful in conjunction with the custom scale remappers to deal with sharps or flats of various chords related to the tonic chord.

Is this described in the manaual? I didn't see it, but I only read it once sort of quickly. I'll look again.

I still think it would be vaulable to be able to 'transform' each of the 12 original midi notes when you find the time, as while I can see it is possible with global transpose, root mapper and custom scales to create diatonic chords for a key, you sill wouldn't be able to have the sequences trigger on the root of those scales, say V7, of G7 in C, when you wanted to mirror sequences using the root of each chord.

And I really don't want to take you away from Vortex v1.0 :love: at the moment!

Como

Win7 x64 Dual Dualcore Xeon 3.0 Ghz 16 GB Ram. Cubase 6, RapidComposer, BIAB, Abelton 6, Acid Pro 6,Roland XV5080 & Super JD, E-Mu CS PX7, Korg Radias R and MI-EX R, ASR-X Turbo, UAD 2 Quads, stuff.

It should be in the manual I think under the re-mapper section, although ARP went through an intense series of radical transformation and so it is possible I missed it :)

I've just spent this afternoon chasing down a hanging multi-sequence bug that happens occasionally, which is hopefully the last MS bug in Vortex.

With ARP, when I get to it, I think there will be lots of useful Vortex stuff that can be back-ported fairly easily, but I find it much easier stay focused on developing one product at a time :)

[quote="Astralp"]Well you can do this sort of by choosing root mode in the Remapper which treats all sequences as C (or whatever the global transpose is set to) quote]

Andy ...

I'm not finding this?

All I see in the Scale Remapper (or Custom Scales) are drop down menus for Scale Mode, Scale Transpose and the ones for chord variations tied to each of the 12 midi input notes.

There is nothing in any of these menus I can see called Root Mode (which I would expect to find in the Scale Mdde Menu. Would it be possible that because I used the demo from my VST plugin foldr first, somehow this option is missing?

There is also the 'BP' bypass switch mode, but I don't think you mean this, do you? That only sends a note monophonically based upon the midi input note.

Como

Ahhhh, just had ARP up and was as confused as you for a couple of minutes as it isn't there... Then I remembered that I actually began building Vortex as a part of ARP until I realised that the complexity would be vast from both the back and front end, and so Vortex became it's own world. It was that modified ARP which had the mode, because the Vortex side needed it... So I'm so sorry for getting your hopes up, it isn't in there...

It will be though at some point, sorry about that Como!

Have you played with the Lowest/Highest Note modes?

Astralp wrote:Ahhhh, just had ARP up and was as confused as you for a couple of minutes as it isn't there ... It will be though at some point, sorry about that Como!

That's OK Andy, just forced me to look a little deeper and reread the manual. All good for me!
Astralp wrote:Have you played with the Lowest/Highest Note modes?
Not yet. I'm going about this methodically in my own haphazard way. Now that I'm saving and reloading presets,I can really start to dig in. It's a lot of tweaking a preset, making some scale changes and recording the midi to analyze the output. Then make another tweak and do it all over again. I've got about 8 variations of 'Nice Sequence' saved out. I'm working on a little 'Happy Organ' ish song with the verse and chorus about 90% done and getting ready for some lyrics.

I have to say that using a combination of tied and untied notes with the pulse length control setting adjusting little stabby chords on the untied notes is a fabulous way to come up with some great rhythms for chord progressions.

Como

Sounds interesting, if you come up with any demos I can put on the site feel free to send me the mp3s :)

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”