How can I sustain the sound while changing scenes?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a major problem. I can't sustain the sound of a vsti while changing scenes. When I call a new scene, the sound is suddenly cutted off. There is a way to solve this?

Hi, I get the feeling you may have just come to Cantabile. Forgive me if you already know some of this stuff.

Cantabile doesn't have scenes. It has three main methods methods of changing the setup. The first is called a 'Session'. Each Session can hold an entirely unique collection of plugins. Even if the same plugins are used in different Sessions, it is possible that notes will be muted on changeover. Some synths handle it, others do not. It's down to the synth.
Sessions can contain many Subsessions.

A more robust method:

Subsessions CAN and do allow synths which would otherwise fail to sustain the same sound when a new Subsession is called as long as they live in the SAME Session. This only makes sense when you think of how Subsessions can be arranged in Setlists. Setlists can contain many Subsessions derived from any Session on your drive.

If you create a Setlist and the Subsessions within it are pulled from the same Session you will be able to sustain a given sound when the Setlist advances to a new SONG.

Other factors which may cause notes to cut off are issuing a patch change on the instrument you are trying sustain or employing the 'Entire Bank' setting on the instrument in question. (Right click any plugin in the rack to display the options) 'Entire Bank' completely reloads the instrument, even if the same sound was being used. Sample based synths are particularly vulnerable.

Some synths can handle this, others can't. The Synth1, a nice little freebie, allows you to swap sounds and not cut off. Omnisphere, which is definitely not free, doesn't handle it. (Although, as I said earlier, if the same sound is used from the same Subsession, even when called from a Setlist, it will handle it.)

It's because of caveats like this that I tend to work live with only one Session and all my required plugins are in in that Session, muted when not required. That way, there is no reloading or cutting off unless I specifically tell an instrument to load a program or its entire bank when a new subsession is called.

Hope that helps.

Assuming you are not changing patch on the VSTi in question (which pinkcanaru deals with in the previous post)...

If you want to change sub-session while sustaining a note/chord on one VSTi, and have that chord sound until you lift your fingers, but any new notes played by a different VSTi, then make sure that the second sub-session just bypasses the first VSTi (and doesn't mute it or bypass its rack).

The user guide says that bypassing a plugin means that MIDI is not sent to it.... but in fact Cantabile is intelligent enough to still send it note offs. It sends sustain/damper off (CC64=0) as well, so this also works if you hold the chord with the damper pedal rather than your fingers.

This is not only useful if you want to overlap sounds. Even if you want the chord on the first VSTi to end before you play notes on the second VSTi, this means you can switch to the new sub-session any time during the chord rather than have to time the switch exactly right.... which can be almost impossible if you want the new sound to start immediately after the old sound.

Return to “Topten Software”