Forte OR Cantabile??

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I believe that cantabile is the best soft out there for live gigs..end..period..
I love it!
Cantabile rocks!

I notice there have been a couple of new builds since the last post on here. Has the CPU load issue been improved now?

mal7 wrote:I notice there have been a couple of new builds since the last post on here. Has the CPU load issue been improved now?
Don't know if there ever was an "issue" with cpu load... but now we have the additional buffers feature in Cantabile that adds some "headroom".
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

Angel Powerlord wrote:And some competition is good for the business, anyway.
true - but i'd rather you two guys combined your forces and provide users with more security that the programs will be supported as well as they are now for a long time. :)

cantabile looks really interesting!i very much like the idea of one rack per controller. but there are some exciting developments going on with forte, too. and stability (no crash ever) is THE most important requirement for a live host IMO.

I guess there's nothing left but checking out demos of both and deciding for yourself...

Putting forces together is a nice idea but I don't think this will ever happen... I always wished Yamaha, Roland and Korg would join to melt their best ideas... :D
Best regards, TiUser

The reason I recently swapped from Forte after about 2 years of happy useage is 64 bit support. It's only in beta with Forte at the moment and will cost extra when it's released!

Well, to use your old 32bit plugins in Cantabile x64 you need jBridge which makes 15 bucks... :D

64bit audio however is supported in both, Cantabile x86 and x64.

I personally agree - the supported x64 future was one of the many reasons why I went into Cantabile too.
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser wrote:I guess there's nothing left but checking out demos of both and deciding for yourself...

Putting forces together is a nice idea but I don't think this will ever happen... I always wished Yamaha, Roland and Korg would join to melt their best ideas... :D
i know it sounded naive. :)

but people need to rely on a live host, programming a live rack takes many hours or days. so many musicians hesitate to trust the center of their show to a one-man-act company - what if the developer decides to do something else and stops development and/or support ?

Discontinuing products is no domain of small businesses'...

I was really angry when NI discontinued B4II and some other useful products... I can still use it as is - maybe I can also reauthorize on a new pc as long as they run their challenge response server... but if there might be trouble under Win 7 later, no support any more...

I had a Cakewalk software that was discontinued too - just a cross grade offer to something else I don't wanted...

Not sure about forte but I think brainspan isn't a big company either.

Risk of software being discontinued is not a matter of a companies size. To be honest, if I were a professional I would still go for some HW and things like Receptor.

With pc and software too many pieces are involved and risk is high that just one piece doesn't work well and breaks the whole "reliability" chain. That's not a big deal in a studio where you can take a second chance but disaster in a live situation.

Cantabile was the first product that got close to my imaginations and I gave it a shot for my personal use. I am still disappointed with many details of VST technology. I like seamless sound changes but that's usually complicated as most vst instruments can usually not sustain an old sound while switching to a new one... HW has still to do some homework here as well... and when it comes to switching effects... ok, a Virus can do that since OS 3.x even in mutlitibral operation, some sample vst's can do so too, but synths are still a nightmare, not to mention those who also create rumble and noise when there is still an old sound sustaining when switching to the next...

Coming to the gigabyte sampling stuff where loading times are far too long for live situations - so this means some kind of preloading stuff. Sadly HW is going to take the pc/software road these days, with minutes to boot HW...

Forte or Cantabile? ...does finally not matter when it comes to details - both are insufficient referring to my dreams...

This may sound harsh but that's how I feel when I take off my pink glasses... :-o

...in the meantime I still think Cantabile is on a great way... :D
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser wrote:Discontinuing products is no domain of small businesses [...]

Not sure about forte but I think brainspan isn't a big company either. [...]

Risk of software being discontinued is not a matter of a companies size.
true.

i just may get cantabile, too, and try what i can do with it, so i'd alway have a backup solution (not that i need one that badly :D ).

there's just so many things i love about forte that i probably won't convert easily. the hardware like stability (no, better! than e.g. my prodyssey ASB synth) with my system (rme or echo indigo interface, thinkpad t-series, windows xp has worked for me just excellent) being most important, but also the powerful midi CC to vst parameter routing, scene view and other stuff.

the one-rack-per-controller-thing is very tempting in cantabile, though. i also like the media player and recorder features. let's see.

My 2ct:

Get Cantabile Lite for free. No risk and nothing to regret.

Get Cantabile 30 days trial before you spend money on something you don't trust.

Never change a running system... without serious reason.

Creamware ASBs are known for their stunning sound and stability issues... bad (or no) firmware maintenance :-o I checked out a plugiator myself - the "preset" version from india... same story... :(
Best regards, TiUser

I would be lost without Cantabile, love it to bits... but for live use, there is another option: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4355.html

It may be worth checking out the demo.

TiUser wrote:Get Cantabile Lite for free. No risk and nothing to regret.
yes, but coming from forte, i need the subsessions (=scenes), no? fast and stable switching of vst presets is the most important feature for me.
Get Cantabile 30 days trial before you spend money on something you don't trust.
i will.
Never change a running system... without serious reason.
thanks for reminding me!
Creamware ASBs are known for their stunning sound and stability issues... bad (or no) firmware maintenance :-o I checked out a plugiator myself - the "preset" version from india... same story... :(
well, the fun thing about the ASBs is the nice surface and fast startup time. the sound of filters and oscs is nice but for my taste, zebra, ACE, symptohm, DCAM are just as nice and have many more features.

(the one really annoying thing about the prodyssey is the following: they mapped CC 11 to the "vca gain" fader that opens the vca independently from key input. in monophonic mode the last touched note will sound. in polyphonic mode, 16 seemingly random notes sound. now, many master keyboards send CC 11 - 127 on patch change. so you change the patch and... :shock: where is the panic button?? :x :lol: )

John-E34 wrote:I would be lost without Cantabile, love it to bits... but for live use, there is another option: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/4355.html

It may be worth checking out the demo.
I've downloaded the demo - well, coming from Cantabile it seems not to be very intuitive to me. So I haven't spend much time on it yet - but when I look at the additional free plugin to manage splits and layers. well, thank you... :shock: where are midi filters, midi routing, ...

Maybe I missed out something here - I'd like to learn more about it... but it basically seems to be targeted to other uses

...but, no YouTube videos, the forum at the site is almost dead,... :?:

Ok, the plugin selector with thumbnails is cool :D
Best regards, TiUser

Hi, I demo'd the BloXpander. And, while it has quite an interesting
arrangement--IMO ,Cantabile is quite a ways beyond what that host is.
But, if it works for you, that's great!

Return to “Topten Software”