How to route a VSTi as a carrier for a VST vocoder?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I can route any VSTi synth sound as a carrier for any VST vocoder in Cubase 5.

I'm trying to do the same on Cantabile Performer 2.0 (build 2065) but I can get it working...

Is it possible to do this on Cantabile? How?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers

Which vocoder?
Are you using live input or playing back audio tracks?
Are you using a built in carrier in the vocoder or an external synth/soundsource?

Here's a starter hint which may get you going before any other info is needed:

To route media files in Cantabile to any place other than the output, you need to route them to a rack first. If you need to pan the signals then the rack needs to have a plug in inserted. Something low demand like, say, GFader from the donationware GVST plugin collection. Some plugin vocoders use the left and right inputs to determine the modulator and the carrier respectively, so being able to pan can be a crucial component in getting the signal to the right place.

I'm using the IL vocoder right now to test it and it works fine, albeit that it's one of those plugins that sends the CPU through the roof if the GUI is open.

This is much better on the CPU.
You can see an audio file routed to the GFader which is panned hard right and routed to the TAL vocoder.
The Synth 1 is acting as carrier and is panned hard left.
The TAL Vocoder has its internal synth engine disengaged and the input mode switched on. This particular vocoder uses left for carrier and right for modulator.

There are other ways to route via partial sends as well, but this is the most straightforward.

Thanks for answering and sorry for the delay!

I use Vocodex (Imageline) and the input is not a media file, it is live vocals from the mic in.

For the carrier I use any VSTi (Gladiator or DUNE)

Is it possible to do this?

Thanks again!

I am giving it a try. I'll post my expertise with it in a little while. I don't think this got the simple answer it was looking for.

Return to “Topten Software”