Different inputs for different instruments

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want my mic to have one set of effects and my guitar the others set of effects.
But when i turning on input connect on their racks sound come to both of them.
How can I separate them and chose input channel for each rack?

Hi there,

You have a couple of options for handling this.
The bussing in Cantabile is little different from regular DAWs - primarily so that you can drag racks around and re-order things with little impact.

Here's an approach using partial sends.

Let's suppose you have two inputs - Guitar and Mic.
The trick is to create two racks purely for the purposes of ROUTING. It is those racks which will send to the racks you have set up for Guitar and Mic respectively.

In each of the routing racks you place a dummy plug in which should not be an effect. The reason for this is that a plug has its own gain and pan control in Cantabile. It's the pan we're interested in because when we take it hard left or right, it will only allow the signal it sees at hard left or right to pass through.
An example of a plug in which does not change the sound and uses next to no CPU is the GFader which comes as part of the free GVST package:
http://www.gvst.co.uk/packages.htm

You now need to set up a prefader send from each of the routing racks. One one will hit the Guitar Rack the other will hit the Mic Rack.
Turn the rack volume OFF for each routing rack.
On tbe GUITAR ROUTING RACK, pan the GFader, or whichever transparent plugin you may use for the purpose, to the LEFT. Send Partial 1 of that rack to the Guitar FX Rack and turn UP the send gain. Set the partial send to SEND BEFORE GAIN.

Do the same thing on the MIC ROUTING RACK except this time, PAN RIGHT and send the partial to the MIC FX RACK.
This is how the partial sends should look.

So, in a nutshell, you are setting up two routing racks with a fader in each that pans left and right respectively. You are sending before gain from each rack and turning OFF the volume for those racks. The send on each routing rack should be assigned to the Guitar and Mic respectively.
By panning hard left and right for each rack, you are separating the input signals and ensuring that only the correct signals arrive at the destinations.
I'll come back for method two in another post.
Note the the audio input for each routing rack must be ENABLED as you can see in the picture.
Last edited by pinkcanaru on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The other approach requires no panning and no dummy routing racks - but you do have to pay attention to keeping the first plugin in each rack enabled, because it will be that plugin which controls the routing.

Each plugin in a cantabile rack has a 'Tools' dropdown menu. In that menu you will see an entry labeled 'Audio Channels'. Each plugin's input and output can be determined there. If you need to disable the first plugin in a rack for any reason, then the next plugin will need to have its input setup. I guess it might make sense to place something like the fader plug in I pointed to in my previous post as the first plugin - something that you know you can leave on full time.
So...
It's the INPUT that we need to set up for the Guitar and Mic Racks respectively.
Drop down the tools menu for the first plugin in the Guitar rack. Open the Audio Channels entry. Switch the window which opens to INPUT and disable the RIGHT side. Now only the left gets in.
Do the same thing for the Mic Rack except that this time disable the LEFT side.

This does look easier that the first approach, but each has things to watch for. You can take your choice. :-)

Thanks you for your answer! I will try it tomorrow.

But anyway I think there must be a proper way to route inputs.
Even this solution is limited only to two channels. What of I will need 3 live instruments.

Rendom wrote:Thanks you for your answer! I will try it tomorrow.

But anyway I think there must be a proper way to route inputs.
Even this solution is limited only to two channels. What of I will need 3 live instruments.
The you would use option 2 and select the appropriate input.

As long as you enable the inputs, they become available.

Return to “Topten Software”