Sub session patch doesn't change

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm hoping somebody can help me. I've been using Cantabile for a while now live without problems. I use about 10 different VSTi's and have defined each song as a different session with the appropriate VSTs loaded. This is then controlled via a Set List. One problem with this is the varying volumes of the same VST when re-loaded in a new session. I thought a way around this would be to create 1 session with all VSTs loaded and then use sub-sessions to switch the ones needed on and off for each song with the appropriate patch loaded in to each VST. However, I just can't get Dimension Pro (x64) to change preset. I've used the sub-session behaviour menu and tried enabling 'Entire Bank' but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Other VSTs behave as they should but Dimension Pro doesn't want to play ball. Anybody have experience of this?
Thanks

Having tried various approaches to live management of Cantabile Sessions, I have come to the conclusion that the best, safest, fastest, method is to try an minimize Session loading. In my case - ONE Session. :-)
A laptop with 8 gig of ram is more than enough to run anything you could want in a live system.
Disabling plugins that are not being used in a particular song makes it appear as if they aren't there to the CPU.

As far as matching levels is concerned, I run every rack into a master rack. Start with the loudest song in the set. Make sure you have headroom. Then adjust all other songs/subsessions around that base marker. Using the 'autosave' mode in the subsession dropdown, you can move very quickly between subsessions, tweaking the gain until you have it. Of course, you must enable the master rack to recall its mix settings. As a longtime user, I'm sure you're already aware of this.

Re the Dimension Pro:
Have you tried setting up a bare bones Session with just that plugin running?
Turn OFF the program change in subsession behaviour. Turn ON the entire bank setting. Make some subsessions with different settings for the Dimension. Does it not load correctly?
If you save several complete sessions with NO subessions and different settings for the Dimension, do those sessions load correctly? That is essentially the same as 'entire bank'. It's flushing and loading.
Once you can establish how Dimension behaves under those conditions perhaps we can look at other solutions.

:) Thanks. I've been trying all day to fix this. It was the combination of turning off program change and turning on entire bank.
I am curious as to why you run all VSTs in to a master rack. Obviously you can then put effects on the whole output but is there any other reason?
Thanks for you quick reply by the way.
Chris

Hey there - glad you got that sorted.
You're correct about the master rack. I can place meters, faders, eqs or anything else required, over the entire output.
And - unless I've missed it, the master volume is not stored with the subsession. It's at a fixed position unless you automate it and send that data with every subsession. By routing through a master rack I can store the gain.

Thanks again. I assign a midi controller fader to the master output and as each VST has it's own fx section it's never been an issue. But I take your point about EQ and compressors etc. I think I'll investigate that.
Cheers, Chris

ONE manually moved fader which remembers its setting as opposed to every rack fader or issuing a controller which has to be stored somewhere? Plus the other benefits.....
:-)

Return to “Topten Software”