Cantabile locking up on me

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone.

I started creating a set list in Cantabile Solo which include sessions I make up for each song my band is playing. I create the racks, assign VSTs to them, assign any splits or layers if needed, assign MIDI controllers to the racks, and I also import a mp3 file of each song so I can play it instantly at rehearsals if I need to. So far I've only setup the first 55 or so songs in this manner. It worked fine at rehearsal last Saturday and the band was blown away!

I've started having problems when I load Cantabile and open a song it stays on the load screen spinning forever. I end up having to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to quit Cantabile, and then when I reload it, all my setting are gone and I have to reload my setlist as well. Any ideas what could be causing this? If I restart the laptop, I get a message saying that the application was not shut down properly and do I want to restore my settings from my last session. If I choose yes, then it goes into infinite load again. If I choose no, it loads up a blank session and works fine but all my settings are lost. I have to re-establish my Audio and MIDI connections.

I've got it installed on my desktop PC and also a laptop. The laptop is the one causing me grief right now. It's a i3 with 4GB of RAM. I'm trying to roll over to a virtual stage rig with an 88-note MIDI controller and a 49-note MIDI controller (both M-Audio). I've got a Steinberg UR22 as an audio interface on my desktop that I could press into service with the laptop as well, but so far I've just been using ASIO4all for audio out of my headphone jack and into a mixer. Latency has been fine. So unless anyone thinks my audio interface is the culprit, I'd like to stay with ASIO4all to keep from having to plug/unplug the UR22 every time I go out.

I really want this to work but I am concerned about this happening on a gig when I go to laod the next song from my setlist. I want to make this as bulletproof as possible. I have a Kronos that I could take out as a backup (and that may be the smart thing to do anyway), but I would prefer to leave it at home in the studio if possible. Not to mention I'd have to go into the Kronos and set up Combis for all the songs. We have over 200 songs in our setlist so I'm just getting started and don't want to waste my time if something isn't going to work for me.

Any and all thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am going to follw the instructions I saw regarding the crash log report feature and see if that changes anything for starters. Thanks for listening. Sorry to be so long winded.

Sounds like a rogue plugin to me.

Try removing them one at a time until it works, or adding one at a time until it doesn't.

If it's a JBridged plugin try different settings until it works.

If you give us a list of the plugins you're using someone here may have suggestions.
Cantabile Peformer on Lenovo W530 i7 16Gb, Win7 x64. Halion Sonic 2, OPX Pro II, Korg Legacy Collection Digital, Omnisphere, Real LPC, Amplitube 3.

Okay, I'm willing to consider that could be a problem. Here's the list of VSTs I have installed on the laptop:

Analog Lab
Analog Laboratory
ARP 2600 V2
Cheeze Machine
CS-80V2
CS-80V2 (10-voices)
Dark Planet
HALion Sonic (I've got HS2, Absolute VST Collection, and HSSE and HS2SE)
Hypnotic Dance
Jupiter-8V2
Lounge Lizard EP-4
M1
mda ePiano
mdaPiano
Mini V
Modular V
M-Tron_v4.5
Oberheim SEM V
Oddity_VST2win ( x 2)
Omnisphere
Padshop
Prophet-V2 ( x 2)
Retrologue
SampleTank2
Spark Vintage Drum Machines
Ticky Clav
Triebwerk
UltraAnalog VST
VB3
WaveStation
Wurlitzer V

I also have Sonic Projects OP-X Pro II on there but it's not showing up in the list for some reason. If i put a ( x 2) after it it means it's on the drop down list twice for some reason. So if you see any suspects that you think might be causing me a problem, please let me know. Thanks for your help.

Take all the plugins out.
Start cantabile. There should be no hangup at this point.
Close it and put half the plugins back. Start your session. If it's stable close Cantabile and take out those plugins and put the other half in. If it crashes, the bad plugin is in there.

Once you have established which half the bad plug is in, take out 50% of those, and repeat test until you find the rogue.
These issues are 99.999% always down to a plugin.

Hi, I have had a problem intermittently with Cantabile. I doesn't lock up. What does happen is a great amount of latency is added. It creates a delay that is unacceptable (unplayable).It appears to happen when I am sending some midi messages but I have not been able to isolate them.

The reason that I am mentioning it here is this. The SOLUTION is to open the "Midi devices" under options and then close it by clicking OK. This resets whatever and the increased latency goes away.This sounds very similar to your situation.

I just thought this might help someone else. I will try to isolate certain plug ins. I never considered that a plug in might be causing the problem.
Thanks,
LooseBruce

Return to “Topten Software”