Route MIDI to multiple audio outs

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi to All,
I'm new to this kind of problem. Using an audio interface how do I route MIDI input from an instrument to multiple audio outputs of the interface?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Hum... your question isn't clear, or if I've missed something, or maybe wrong: you CANNOT route MIDI to... audio, anyway!

MIDI never contains... audio datas. MIDI must be proceeded by an instrument - real or virtual (VSTi) - in order to obtain audio (sound). An instrument "read" MIDI information, then produces audio (if applicable, depending of kind of MIDI information, like "Note On" / "Note Off" events). Some MIDI events are "control events" and doesn't produce sound, even by an instrument.

MIDI data ----> Instrument ----> Audio data
MIDI data ----> Instrument ----> Audio data ----> Audio effect ----> Audio data

In general MIDI informations are "relayed as-is" by an instrument (excepted some special instruments may work as "MIDI effect", like arpeggiators), BTW, you can use several instruments in the same rack! (chain).

You can route only audio to audio output of your (audio) interface.

Without MIDI routing/filtering, by default all racks receive the same MIDI flow (any MIDI source, on any channel).

For testing purposes, you may to create several racks: in Rack 1, select an instrument (VSTi plug-in), then proceeds the Rack 1 output audio to an audio port on your interface. Add a rack (Rack 2) then repeat this operation for this new rack (using same or another instrument), route the Rack 2 output (audio) to another interface port, and so on...

Dominique.

Return to “Topten Software”