How to route a midi note event to trigger a Kontakt backing track trigger in Cantabile

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I own Cantabile Solo, and am embarrassed to say I don't fully understand how to use its extensive midi routing and filtering capabilities, even after reading the manual. Among other things, I'd like to use it to help me practice songs at slow speeds. Since its media player can't vary the speed of a .wav file, I've loaded the song I want to practice into a Kontakt instrument and am using the Kontakt time machine pro playback filter to change its tempo. I have arbitrarily set Kontakt to play back the song as long as note C0 is pressed and held.

I'd like to use Cantabile to change a momentary press of a drum pad to start playback, and a different drum pad press to stop playback, but I don't know how to do this.

To make things specific, say the "start" drum pad generates a D2 midi on and off event on channel 10, and the "stop" drump pad generates a Bb1 midi on and off on channel 10. I think I want to filter out all midi off events on channel 10 for both D2 and Bb1, and then re-route midi on events on channel 10 for D2 and Bb1 to channel 0, but I don't know where to begin.

Can you point me in the right direction?

bump? Maybe this is something that should be handled entirely within Kontakt? In Kontakt I can make the song begin to play on a drum pad press, but then it stops playing when I release the pad. Mapping it as a release sample doesn't work since Kontakt limits release samples to about 20 seconds. I'm sure with all of Cantabile's midi routing magic it can be done...somehow.

How about this: create a MIDI-file with one single note with a length of say some minutes, map it to the note in kontakt your sample is mapped to and load it into the media file player. Then make an assignment and assign the midi event you want to use (f.e. a midi event from the drum pad) to a Transport - Play / Stop event. Hitting your pad should now start the midi-file player, a second bump should stop it again.

I confess: not sure if this is possible in the solo version of cantabile.

regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

You could use a MIDI mapper like MidiOx to do the note-to-event conversion, and route the converted result to Cantabile (using a virtual MIDI cable).

Thanks guys! Both approaches work well. Turns out there's another that does not require extra midi or application files: use the factory preset "midi latch" script inside the Kontact instrument hosting the song sample. Whew!

Return to “Topten Software”