Multiple Midi controllers Assigned to a Plugin

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have just started getting in VST. I will probably have 4 midi controllers in my setup. Is it possible to assign two of them to a specific plug-in? If I choose "Any" then all 5 controllers will be communicating to the plugin.

I am trying to decide between Cantabile and other VST hosts. I know that Forte can do that, but I'd rather go with Cantabile if it can assign two not just "Any" midi controllers to a specific plugin. Cantabile seems to be easier to a VST beginner like me.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

of course this is possible: first you can map a plugin to only one MIDI-controller (the drop-down menue where you can chose "Any"). If you need to map more controllers to this plug you can use MIDI routing tables. Open the corresponing window, chose a the source, and as target the plugin that shall be controlled. Don`t forget to activate the little MIDI-icon (if you don`t do the next MIDI-routing won`t get MIDI data otherwise).

This way you can do as many routings from any controller to any VST. A hint: specially when using many controllers it could be a wise strategy to do the routing only by MIDI-routings (not from the aspect of function but more from the aspect of transparency). In this case you chose "None" as MIDI in on the plugin und map each controller by a separate MIDI-routing.

MIDI-routings are a really mighty tool: under settings there are lots of possibilities for transpose and set key ranges. If you are more familiar with this you should have a closer look on MIDI filters (also found under settings). This is a little world of it`s own. You can separate information (f.e. notes, controllers,...) manipulate them as you like and route them to anywhere.

regards, humphrey
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Thank you, Humphrey, for your detailed explanation. I understand MIDI-Routing comes only with the Cantabile Performer version, correct? Besides the keyboard, I play a midi accordion, and I think a midi accordion would make a powerful midi controller as it can send midi data on multiple channels.
It will be quite interesting to set up various plugins and sounds to respond to multiple incoming midi channels. I am just beginning to understand how a VST host like Cantabile can be very flexible and powerful.

Thanks again.

Chris

Yep, midi routing, triggers, subsessions and some other specials only come with Performer suite
hosts: c8.5, cantabile3.0, forte4.0, live 9, trakor
hardware: i7 4770k, i7 4702qm, all audio converters RME, KH120A
vsts / vstis: u-he, voxengo, fabfilter, izotope, lexicon, waves, spectrasonics, ni, steinberg, gsi, uvi, xfer & others

Since my first post, I purchased even more VST instruments while I was trying out and even purchasing a number of different VST hosts. Just recently, I received a KVR promotion on Gig Performer a VST audio host. After I tried out the demo version, I did not hesitate to buy it. It was very easy to use and so flexible that I could do really fancy midi mapping. Finally, I found the ultimate VST host that helps me treat all my plug-ins like hardware.

Return to “Topten Software”