MDrummer Output Filters

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi. I'd like to know how to make a midi output filter in MDrummer. I want to make one for Steven Slate Drums 3.5. I looked in the midi output folder, but everything is so cryptic, that I can't even look at one to use as a guide. I see where the help says that modifiers are useful for controlling other plugins with MDrummer, but it mentions velocity. I don't understand what velocity has to do with mapping a C2 to C1 for example. Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer are not mapped the same. MDrummer provides output filters for both (although I think the Addictive filter has some incorrect mappings). I have no clue how to make my own output filters from scratch. I see where it says I can, but there's no information at all on how to do it. Any guidance available? Thanks.

Hi, if you want to use for this simple thing, just imagine mdrummer does NOT have midi notes themselves. It uses drums, just select a drum, say bass drum, and in the one single filter select the output midi note, that's all. The rest of it is just to make filters that would differentiate output note by velocity for example, not relevant for this simple case.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

OK, I think I can make sense of that. How do the modifiers relate to this? I see that I can have 4 modifiers. What are they? Thanks

The modifiers are the filters.
But must admit, I'm confused too.
Setting minimal velocity, yes, understand, but say I have Mod1 targeting a snare @ 30% minimal and Mod2 targeting a rimshot @ minimal 0%, then above 30% will I hear both!? Or is this what Velocity alteration is about, setting the range somehow?

Anyway, trying to test all this, but got side tracked with another question...I set up (in Reaper) MDrummer's midi output sending to another track with a sfz player loaded with drums. I created a simple midi item playing just a bass drum in MDrummer (set to drum pad mode), two hits at low velocity then two at high velocity, then set up output modifiers to play two different destinations according to velocity thresholds. OK, hit space bar, no midi being sent...but if, with mouse, I play the drum on the pad in MD or indeed play the assigned key in output filters, midi is sent and I hear the sfz drums. Is this right?....to use MD to trigger another VST do I have to use MD's internal sequencer (Song mode) rather than midi items in DAW?
EDIT..der, just realized that there would be no point in using midi items in DAW (could just directly trigger the other VST anyway), so yeah, looks like song mode.. or midi command I guess...tho still wondering why the midi wasn't sent?
Last edited by goldglob on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The idea is that you can actually send more MIDI for each note. E.g. you want the snare to play snare, but when hit too much, add a clap too.

About the midi - there's really no point in that. When you send notes to MDrummer, it assumes it is for him of course. It uses input filters and plays the notes, doesn't output any notes of course.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:The idea is that you can actually send more MIDI for each note. E.g. you want the snare to play snare, but when hit too much, add a clap too.
This is not how it's seems to me. It's not adding a clap, but rather replacing the snare with a clap.
My understanding is this:
1. For any chosen drum, Output Filter can only send one re-directed midi note at any one point in time.
2. If a modifier's minimal velocity is say 20% then a velocity from there up will re-direct the note, but if another modifier's minimal velocity is say 60% then a note with velocity of say 70% will be re-directed only by that 2nd modifier...the first modifier only works when the velocity is in the range 20%-59%, the 2nd modifier kicks in from 60% up.
3. If I set up two modifiers with the same minimal velocity threshold, only the lower number modifier (of 1,2,3,4) works.

Is this right?

Edkilp, sorry to stray from your original drift but it's kind of related I guess.
Did you get your Steven Slate Drums working from MD?

I asked above
Or is this what Velocity alteration is about, setting the range somehow?
I realize now that velocity alteration changes the velocity of incoming notes (not the threshold), and by doing this I am able to quickly offset which range the notes are filtered to.
This is getting complicated, think I'll just get out my guitar.

Seems to be playing my SSD kits just fine with no tweaking needed. That's a relief for sure. I really like what MDrummer is capable of, but man, it's very deep and more often than not, quite confusing. I really think the lack of an actual manual is a severe brick wall, and the language barriers aren't helping either. There's so much this thing does, but it's largely undocumented. I mean, clicking the help buttons is ok, but most of what I see just tells me that MDrummer CAN do this and CAN do that, but not a lot of HOW to do it. I suppose since I paid for it, I have the rest of my life to accidentally discover new things (or old ones, as the case may be). I really wish someone would put together an in-depth manual, covering every aspect of this program. I like it more all the time, but I honestly think I'm only getting a fraction of what I could be getting out of it, due to the lack of documentation. Maybe someday!

Couldn't agree more. I think it's an incredibly powerful program, and rock solid too..has never crashed on me, but yes, quite a bit of head scratching involved; but I like a challenge so will just have to keep chipping away at the hard bits. One thing I'm trying to do is draw a sort of diagram/map/flowchart of everything going on in MD but it's looking like spaghetti in spots..I need about 6 dimensions!

Goldglob: right! Sorry, i'm on vacation unable to check, so i didn't remember everything.

Docs: well, it's hard 'cos it would take a big book and need partial rewrite on every update. But i'll see what i cando after the major update. I'd personally count on the video tutorials mainly.
Vojtech

Vojtech, the video tutorials are fine, but there hasn't been a new one in a while, and the existing videos are anything but in-depth. To me, a big book would be fantastic! I know it would not be easy and I don't know if you have people helping you, or if the whole operation is just you. I'd love to see tutorials on a real-world situation, using aspects of the program not covered in any video, such as output filters, for example.
Please don't feel like I'm complaining. I love what I've discovered so far, but I don't think this program needs to be a constant search for functionality. Somehow, some way, there needs to be documentation, and no one fully understands how it works better than you, right? Thanks for listening!

Thanks Vojtech, I hope you are somewhere tropical sipping a nice cocktail and sorry to interrupt.

Just found this thread, following my rant of yesterday about the lack of manual (and thanks to all for their replies).

What I would say is that having these threads complaining about the lack of a manual and how difficult the program is to use is not a very good advert for the product. I did read a review somewhere (probably KVR) saying they couldnt understand why more people didnt use MDrummer - maybe thats why.

As I said in my other thread it doesnt matter how good a program is, if people cant use it they wont! I would suggest that a decent manual in decent English (and any other language) is a prime requirement above any new releases.

Personally I prefer manuals to videos + the cost of knocking out a pdf must be a lot less than a video and a lot easier/cheaper to update.

Please see these comments as constructive, if after my brief experience of the program so far I didnt rate it, I wouldnt waste my time writing this.

goldglob wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:18 am I asked above
Or is this what Velocity alteration is about, setting the range somehow?
I realize now that velocity alteration changes the velocity of incoming notes (not the threshold), and by doing this I am able to quickly offset which range the notes are filtered to.
This is getting complicated, think I'll just get out my guitar.
Old thread but heh....my above understanding was completely wrong...I realize now that 'Velocity alteration' is simply to offset the actual velocity of the output MIDI note; which probably needs doing because we have been using minimum velocity to re-direct notes...E.G. we might have used a minimum velocity of 70% to replace a snare with a clap, but we don't want our clap having an actual velocity of 70% (and above).

Return to “MeldaProduction”