MMultiBandConvolution - spectrograph view

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The ReaVerb in the Reaper got in the latest update a spectrograph view of impulse file.
That make sense to me as you can easily see how low end mids and high end work in an impulse.

Could this feature also be added to the MMultiBandConvolution?

Well, I'll add it to to-do list, but don't promise anything. This could be useful of course, but it's not very useful imho, at the end you'll your ears anyway.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well of course you have the final word ;)

But if at the end we trust only to our ears why all the parameters of every plugin have a numeric value?
Shouldn't we trust our ears and turn all the knobs in plugins without knowing the true value?

Similar than that current waveform view show us roughly what to expect a spectrograph would give us even more information and speed up plugin set up work.

Well, values and views will help you, but ears should always be the main judge. In some cases, e.g. ceiling in a limiter, the values are very important and ears cannot be used, but that's a rare scenario.

In this case however, what exactly do you expect to see on the spectrum graph. IRs behave more or less the same, so to be honest i see absolutely no useful information in such graph, except it "looks cool", so it may have a place in marketing :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

If I remember correctly you have wrote that the numeric values in your plugins have high priority. And that is one of the things I like in your plugins. They are not magic plugins with magic knobs to do magic things. Your plugins are precise tools with predictable behavior to do the job properly :tu:

With this current wave view I usually first try to check the early reflection of an ir file.
With that spectrograph I would try to check how the reverb tail behavior. Like if you make an ir file from MReverb you could estimate what the color parameters are. Well not the modulation but dampening.

And yes it would look cool too. I just need an audience to watch me mixing 8)

Actually the ReaVerb spectrograph looks very cool but bearing in mind that when MMBConvolution loads a stereo (or indeed quad) file the sample graphs are superimposed rather than on separate lines (as in ReaVerb), I would think a spectrograph view would not be possible. Melda would have to completely change the way it does it. Does look nice though!

Numeric values high priority?? When did i say that?? :) well sometimes it is very useful indeed, so we try to make available almost always, but you know it's about music ;). Sometimes one needs some analysis signal and then it comes handy of course.

Anyway the spectrogram is in todo list, so we'll see. I don't see a problem with stereo/quad, we assume the channels will be quite similar, so the first channel should do the trick.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Numeric values high priority?? When did i say that?? :) well sometimes it is very useful indeed, so we try to make available almost always, but you know it's about music ;). Sometimes one needs some analysis signal and then it comes handy of course.
We are like children. We remember every curse word our parents have said :x
And then we use that against our parents to get more candy :hihi:
Anyway it's unusable here I'm afraid - it doesn't show units. We will always show units, I hate every plugin showing the units in some bottom bar etc...
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 3#p5548413

Yes we use our ears but as someone building a house he use his eyes and a tape measure to make that wall straight. The tape measure is one of the tools but it doesn't tell you what is a good wall or roof and that spectrograph view doesn't tell you if an IR is good or bad but it will still tell you something similar than the tape measure would tell you of the height of the wall.

Moonwrist, you are twisting my words ;). Showing units and entering them by text is obviously very different thing. Anyway spectrogram is in to-do list, with limited priority :).
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”