MUltraMaximizer "mask" distortion in Cubase 7

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
when I set "Output gain" in MUltraMaximizer to high value, tehere is distortion because clipping. It is OK. But, if I am lowering track volume about the same dB as I set in "Output gain", cliping is gone.

But, when i set MUltramaximizer Upsampling to 2x and more, the clipping distortion is there as they should be.

I thing, this issue is caused because Cubase has internal 32 bit float signal processing. And 32 bit gives a lot of headroom.

Increasing Upsampling solved my problem, but I still thing that it is an Issue :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi,

I just checked and I cannot reproduce it, if it is a problem. Anyway from what you described there actually shouldn't be distortion. You have -15dB in the input, the limiter does more or less nothing, and then there is +15dB on the output. If you enable oversampling, the signal can get quite different, so distortion, which wasn't originally there may appear, but just a very little I suppose.

Anyway please try again with the 8.00, it's available now! ;)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi,

I will try new plugin update today. But let me explain my last post quite better:)

-15 dB do not affect signal going into MUltraMaximizer. -15 dB in cubase in Insert slots is PreFader. Only Insert slots 7 and 8 are PostFader. -15db affect signal going from MUltraMaximizer.

Signal flow should be:
1. Signal go into MUltraMaximizer
2. MUltraMaximizer increase volume about 15 dB
3. Signal leave MUltraMaximizer and after that, signal i lowered by 15 dB

If in step 2. MUltraMaximizer cause clipping, then I suppose to hear clipping even after I am lowering clipped signal by 15 dB. But this do not happend in cubase 7.

Everithing is fine, when i set Upsampling to 2x or more.

Why I want this?
When I am using some kind of ultramaximizer (in Matsering step), I have setup 2 tracks with identical WAV file to realize A/B teasting. One track has no effect, second track has ultramaximizer set to +X dB and track volume is lowered by same amount of X dB. So I can simply A/B testing (switch between two tracks) to check if ultramaximizer do not cause any audible artifacts, clippings etc.

Both tracks must be in same volume level to prepare correct A/B testing. So when I incerase gain in ultramaximizer, i have to decrease track volume about same value.

I do not want you to reply this post. I just want to explain my situation quite better :)

(Mohl bych to popsat česky, ale raději to píšu svou lámanou angličtinou, aby tomu případně rozuměli i ostatní :D)

Aaaaha, got it. Actually it's an opposite bug than what you think - you disabled saturation in the plugin! So technically it should NOT clip the output. But it does that when upsampling is enabled. For a little technical reason this probably won't be solved, but basically the thing is that the downsampler cannot be sure if there won't be any peaks over 0dB after, so it needs to clip it. But when saturation is disabled, the clipper is disabled too, just not in the downsampler... Hard to describe :D.

(To sme si rovnou mohli pokecat cesky, nez to tu takhle komplikovane prekladat :D Stejne to nikdo necte :D )
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

It will be fixed after all ;)
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”