MMultibandDelay dotted problem

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The dotted notes in MMultibandDelay Synchronization section are twice as fast as they should be. A dotted 8th note should be 1.5 times the length of an 8th note or three 16ths. To achieve a dotted 8th correctly you need to set it as a dotted 1/4 note.

Easy way to test, feed a percussive sound into the delay, a dotted note should have a slower delay time than its straight variant as its 1.5 times the length.

Studio One 2.62/Live9 both 64 bit Mac 10.7.4
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

That's intentional (and even if it wouldn't be, we cannot change it anymore for sake of backwards compatibility) - the reason is that the way it is now, the successive synchronization modes are increasing in speed, which is convenient. It is not correct by definition of "dotted", but that's really not as relevant as easier workflow.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Cool, if it has always been like that then you can't change it. I thought it might be a new addition or bug.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

No no, it has always been there ;). This is just a convenience thingy ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi. I just found this too. The reason I'm writing about it is that now seems like a good time. I'm under the impression that we've been doing a lot of backward-compatibility breaking lately. If that's true, now might be the best time to 'correct' the delay values.

Thanks.

Yeah, that's not very intuitive, and I don't find the explanation very convincing. I think the workflow is only easier for people who don't know what dotted notes are. Everyone else has to remember a special case for Melda plugins. If the order is important, it would be more intuitive to put dotted in front of straight instead.

It should at least be emphasized in the documentation.

Yes, Held, you're 100% correct. As it stands it is simply technically wrong. I believe that we should not build on top of a mistake.

No! If there is a backwards compatibility breach, please let me know :), nothing is intended to be changed.
Vojtech

I think that several of us agree that the dotted mislabeling in DelayMB is not important to be backward-compatible and that we'd prefer that it was simply technically correct. Please change it. Thank you.

It's not a bug, it's a feature, right? Because bugs do get fixed in backwards incompatible ways occasionally.

Maybe it's an option to rename it to "three-quarters" and add the real dotted note in front of straight. So nothing breaks in old projects.

WTF note values are not an opinion. Making them factual wrong for your own convenience is just...

It's the same in across all synced elements, e.g. modulators, and MTurboDelay too, by the way, so it would be a big project to make it consistent and is probably not going to happen. That's too bad.

I'll just keep this topic in mind for new "melda plugins are so confusing" threads. Anyone remember when the limiter wasn't a limiter? :D :lol:

Held wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:56 am It's the same in across all synced elements, e.g. modulators, and MTurboDelay too, by the way, so it would be a big project to make it consistent and is probably not going to happen. That's too bad.
Au contraire. It should be fixed with a note in the Release Notes explaining that users using these plug-ins in projects will need to make a change to the dotted value. From, for example, "dotted 1/4" to "Dotted 1/8".
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DP
Last edited by operator on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone knows more than I do...

Return to “MeldaProduction”