MTuner noisegate at -20db?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MTuner seems to stop working for levels below -20db. That's a pretty high noisegate. When I plug my guitar and want to tune it, the tones are between -20db and -40db. Can the noisegate be adjusted?

Hmmm, ok, I'll check and potentially add it to to-do list. But generally there needs to be a gate, otherwise it would start generating random notes where there are none. This is especially relevant for MTuner MIDI output.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, ok, I'll check and potentially add it to to-do list. But generally there needs to be a gate, otherwise it would start generating random notes where there are none. This is especially relevant for MTuner MIDI output.
Yeah a gate is ok, but maybe -40db is fine for all purposes. Thanks in advance :)

Not really, it would pick up lots of noise unfortunately.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Noise at -40db? Never had such loud noise in any recording in all the years dealing with audio. I think that is really unrealistic. Noise nowadays is below -55db for 100% sure, normally much lower like between -60 and -90db.

That's not the issue! People may not use it as tuner! They may use it as audio->MIDI convertor. Or use the tuner after processing. And in that case -40dB is perfectly realistic and may not mean noise, but lots of background stuff... imagine tuning acoustic guitar with a condenser microphone..
Vojtech

I put the ampsim as the first plugin in the guitar track chain, so I can't use the output of that for the tuner since it already contains distortion, reverb, chorus, delay etc.

For me, MTuner is almost unusable as a guitar tuner which is really sad since I liked it before. Nobody else having this problem with it?

This high noisegate wasn't there all the time, it was introduced somehwere around the 8.00 release I think.

Maybe you can create two modes, Tuner mode and Audio-To-Midi mode?

Already solved - next version will have a threshold at -40dB. Personally I found this interesting, because at the point the plugin stopped responding the signal level was so low, so it was barely audible, but it seems it is not a problem to simply make the threshold low, so so be it ;)
Vojtech

OK very cool :-)

Yes it is a pretty low level and barely audible at moderate listening volume, but that seems to be the normal instrument (guitar) level that all the ampsims work well with.

Anyway, thanks a lot for changing it :-)

Hehe, sure ;), no problem ;)
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”